C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 as your daily driver and LS2 vs LS3- feedback

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 08:26 AM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive a GS daily. Love it.
I would be bored to tears
with anything else. Can't
speak to the engine point.
Sound of the engine is
whats important as a DD to
me. I don't get too many
sprint options on city streets.
You could probably be happy
with either.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:28 AM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

HUD was the only thing I cared about in the 3LT package. I don't need luxury or bells and whistles in my sports car. I just happened to stumble across a good deal on a 3LT car. lol
Old 05-22-2013, 09:27 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

What were the transmission changes in 2008?
Old 05-22-2013, 09:44 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
Whoa, those are some expensive rotors. Being lighter, how do they hold up to track abuse?
My local track (ECR) is hell on cars and especially their brakes. Being a motorcycle guy, I really like braking late and trail braking, probably too much and to the detriment of a few seconds.

Dropping 14lbs of unsprung rotational weight is nothing to sneer at though. Probably the equivalent to 75lbs of "dead" weight. Long term goal would be to get the car under 3000lbs, but that's kind of far fetched in a street car. Again, being a bike guy, I <3 weight reduction. It's basically mechanical masturbation at my levels unless it's a lot of weight and even less significant on the street, but it's fun
3,000pounds is fairly easy. Start with a 1LT, go with light wheels, tires and brakes, ditch the passenger seat, pull carpet, ditch the windshield washer tank.

Stock LS3 = bolt on modded LS2.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:46 AM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

What were the transmission changes in 2008?
A6 there were minor software updates.
M6 went to the TR6060 from the T56
Old 05-22-2013, 10:15 AM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 514 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Glad to see

that the Vette as a DD is a winner. I retired the first week of April and on Saturday, my Accord DD is being picked up by the new owner. That leaves my 3LT coupe as my DD. Why waste money for 3 cars?
For a DD, 3LT is the way to go and the A6 is the trans if you are in a heavy traffic area. Hopefully this is all going to work out.
I am really looking forward to finally using the Vette as a DD. This is my 6th C6 and the other 5 were just weekenders.
BTW, I preferred the Corvette coupe as opposed to the GS coupe for a DD. Between the weight and tire wear issues and the splitter, I didn't feel it was DD material. At least not for me.

Last edited by jaki30; 05-22-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:35 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

The Questions:

So now I'm at a super low mileage C6 M6 (currently an 07 3LT w/ 15k miles for $28k or an 08 1LT w/ 10k miles for $31-32k).

What are your thoughts on daily driving the c6 as an only car for 25k/yr? I don't care about comfort (I'm used to riding a sport bike!) but I do care about maintenance, robustness, upkeep costs, etc.

Also, what are your thoughts about LS2 vs LS3. I couldn't possibly care less about the 36hp. In fact, I'd rather spend the $5k price difference on Z06 brakes and suspension and weight reduction than the power, but is the engine any more or less reliable/fickle? Anything better on the 08's that I want for a daily? Similar mpg I assume?
I hated the thought of dding my vette, but have had to over the last month and its been FUN! Only issue is having to worry about parking, and of course scraping the front end on driveways or entrances.

08 got better steering, the ls3, and a few other things. If you can afford the 08 then go for it, otherwise the only year Id avoid is 2005 because of some quirks (however there are many folks who love their 05s).

good luck!

Old 05-22-2013, 10:46 AM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
I think you will love LS2 or LS3.
I have had both and notice little difference, but I do not track the car. As many have said, go for the newest you can afford.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:00 AM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The LS2 is an upgrade of the LS1 at +50hp. I think the reliability issue is a non-issue. I drove my C5 over the Alps from Italy to Austria in 4 inches of snow...not fun, but definitely doable. I have an LS2 and was not happy being 36 HP down on an LS3, so I upgraded mildly and I am super happy with my LS2 6A. I have the base model and my C5 was a Z51 and I like the comfortable ride of the C6 very much...very livable for long drives. Buy the LS2 if you're getting all the extras at a better price.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:30 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
I hated the thought of dding my vette, but have had to over the last month and its been FUN! Only issue is having to worry about parking, and of course scraping the front end on driveways or entrances.

08 got better steering, the ls3, and a few other things. If you can afford the 08 then go for it, otherwise the only year Id avoid is 2005 because of some quirks (however there are many folks who love their 05s).

good luck!

Total anxiety worrying about parking it safely from others and anything from curb rash to scraping front end.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:59 AM
MuscleHP
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 21 and went from a 2010 lifted gmc sierra to a ls2 corvette with bolt-ons for my DD. Best decision of my life. Pure enjoyment every morning when i pull it out of my garage. So i say do it!
Old 05-22-2013, 12:06 PM
808c6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've spent 2 months looking for an Elise last year, almost pulled the plug on one. Came across an 08 black c6 coupe A6 paddle shift with only 8,000 miles and never look back. I've owned fireballed turbo mini, bmw 3.0 cs ,modified 2002 . I can honestly say the c6 is the most fun and best car.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:14 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Single 29yr old male with no kids.
I'm a 66YO retired kid with no kids and won't be putting anywhere near 25k/yr. on my DD C6. I just went through a similar quandary about 2½ months ago about whether to get this car or something a bit less-expensive, more miserly with fuel, and less over-the-top in the performance realm. After living with the car for this short time I do have some opinions on it as a DD, although my situation is a bit different.

My first thought was an Elise but after reading the forums there, it seems like a disaster. Just not a daily driver.
Probably a kick to drive and very economical on fuel, but the nearest dealer for me is about 200 miles. I would also wonder about reliability and cost of parts.

Camaro just sucks. I've driven an SS on a road course and on the street. Fat understeering miserable to drive and no fun. 400hp is just muted by the weight. I'd crush a Mustang going into and out of turns just to have it completely leave me in the straights.
Camaro would be on the bottom of my list for the reasons you state as several others. A friend has an SS and I'm not at all impressed with it.

I thought about getting another Silverado. Would be nice for hauling my bikes (3 track bikes), but about zero fun + not good mpg.
Maybe a C6 and a cheap, used pickup. I've thought about this but probably won't. You may find that a C6 coupe will have enough cargo space for you. I think it will fit my needs most of the time.

The Questions:

So now I'm at a super low mileage C6 M6 (currently an 07 3LT w/ 15k miles for $28k or an 08 1LT w/ 10k miles for $31-32k).

What are your thoughts on daily driving the c6 as an only car for 25k/yr? I don't care about comfort (I'm used to riding a sport bike!) but I do care about maintenance, robustness, upkeep costs, etc.
Pros:
  • Fun to drive, becoming something I look forward to doing. I was gradually losing my interest in cars and this car has revived that lust. It has minor weaknesses, but its glowing charisma and fun-to-drive persona more than make up for the small vices.
  • Good mileage on the highway. I can get 30-35mpg between 50-70mph sustained speed with the M6, and IMO this is very respectable.
  • More than enough power for my needs. This is also a con.
  • Excellent cargo space. At 22cu. ft. for the coupe it has enough room to haul many items that would stifle most other sports cars. The limitation is shallowness of the trunk and high lift point for access. The vert has about half the cargo space as the coupe, and for that reason alone I would pick the coupe for a DD.
  • I find the car very comfortable. The longest trip I've taken so far is about 350 miles in one day, but I find the car very quiet (except for often rather obnoxious tire noise) with a firm but not harsh ride and comfortable seats.
  • For me, increasing performance or handling is not something I will ever do. This car has mongoose-like reflexes and impressive straight-line performance in stock form, and I don't need any improvements here. This will save me money in the long run.
Cons:
  • You may need a new floor jack, ramps, and perhaps a cross-beam adapter to work on this car. Jacking the front or sides of the car is not the simple task that it was with every other car I've ever owned, even my C2.
  • Curbs and road debris will make you paranoid. Neither are your friend in this car. You don't even want to think about hitting a parallel curb with a tire, as I would bet the wheel will also make contact (haven't tried it) with an unfavorable result. A friend with a Caddy CTS (similar tire/wheel profile) hit one recently and it did damage his wheel. Perpendicular curbs, like the type in parking lots, will make contact with the front of the car if you override them. Fortunately, there are metal guards that provide some protection, but you won't like the sound it evokes when you make contact with a curb. I don't do that anymore. I believe that you become more aware of these dangers very quickly and adjust your driving habits accordingly, but you are always on guard. Potholes are another to-be-avoided road hazard, but the car can survive many of these without damage. I hit one a week after buying mine and it sounded bad enough to check my tire monitor, but there was no damage.
  • City mileage is not what I would like, but about what I expected. I can get 20mpg in suburban driving using some hypermiling techniques like coasting, shutting the engine down at long red lights, etc. That's not really good enough since most of my driving is local, but it isn't a deal-breaker for me since I don't drive as much as you do. If your travel is mostly city you may want to consider this.
  • Power is quite over-the-top. This is also a virtue, but I would trade 200hp for an extra 10mpg in city driving, or maybe 100hp for 5mpg. Even with the "small" motor (LS3, 430hp) at WOT in second gear you are above any speed limit in the state in about four seconds, and there simply isn't any place locally where I can wring it out without risking my driving record or worse. Most others here will likely disagree, and if I lived in Nevada or Montana where there were places to let the car stretch its legs I would likely have a different attitude.
Why not buy a new 2013 C6? You can get them at deep discounts now from some dealers, and you could get into one at a price that likely wouldn't kill you on a trade-in if you decide to move to something else a year or two from now. A three-year factory warranty is an attraction, too.

Last edited by iclick; 05-22-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:37 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by SK360
A6 there were minor software updates.
M6 went to the TR6060 from the T56
Minor software updates. Hmmmmmm......

Does that mean that my '06 A6 can be upgraded to '08+ performance with a software upgrade?
Old 05-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Red Racer

Does that mean that my '06 A6 can be upgraded to '08+ performance with a software upgrade?
With a tune you can.

The trans in my old 06 A6 can't be compared to my 09 A6. 08+ A6's incorporated rev matching on downshifts if using the paddles. The shifts are a night and day difference. There are several things you find that are different with the programming. I'm sure Chuck CoW can explain or help you out.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:45 PM
richietables
Racer

Great post, iclick--- Very well thought out and explained!

(Do you still have the mid-year in the photo?)
Old 05-22-2013, 06:18 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

I was pretty set on each of these cars at some point today:

2007: $28,000
Ups: Price! color combo I want (Lemans blue, that cream interior), every option except the 4LT leather wrapped interior thing. Z51, spare targa top (clear), DVD, Nav, HUD, etc
Downs: Older. LS2 instead of LS3

2008: $34000
Ups: Don't mind the color- Atomic orange. Has the 4LT which is nice (no DVD or Navi). Suspension and all that good stuff. Ls3
Downs: Price seems kinda high.

2012 $37500
Ups: 5000 miles; comes with stock parts, upgraded interior (mostly seats), LS3
Not so sure: Has full headers, x-pipes and cats and tune, all installed professionally by reputable shop. Great for power (500 crank). Question if it has a warranty anymore.
downs: price. Warranty issue? Not crazy about color.

Love this on the 07:

Oh la la, Lt4 (08)

Get notified of new replies

To C6 as your daily driver and LS2 vs LS3- feedback

Old 05-22-2013, 06:48 PM
richietables
Racer

I like the color of the blue and the LS2 doesn't bother me. If you want to tune it you can later on.

As for the one from Texas Direct, I bought my '09 from them less than two months ago. They were first rate.

I'd pass on the 2012, too many mods, wrong color for you. Somebody already drove that car to within an inch of it's life.

2007 is set up nice and the LS2 gives it a certain "discount". What's the mileage?
Old 05-22-2013, 07:01 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

07 and 08 are 14-15k
2012 is 5k
Old 05-22-2013, 07:10 PM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Red Racer

Yes. You can convert to 08+ trans programming. And you can tune that program for even better performance. Big difference.

Last edited by CodyC6; 05-22-2013 at 07:12 PM.

Quick Reply: C6 as your daily driver and LS2 vs LS3- feedback