C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing key fob

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 08:23 PM
CAPTRKO
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Default replacing key fob

I need to buy a new key FOB #1.

(first for the search gods.....I did that and only found info on replacing the battery)

I only have key FOB #2. I see several OEM Key Fob replacements on ebay and want to make sure of a few things.

1. Does it matter what number the key fob is? In other words I see guys selling Key FOB 1, and FOB 2. Will I need to make sure I order Key Fob 1?

2. Is it pretty easy to program? I know I can call a locksmith but kinda figured if anyone has done this before they can walk me through it? I understand that the new FOB will have an uncut key so I will need to get that duplicated to my #2 FOB with cut key.

Thank you in advance
Old 05-30-2013, 08:27 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

The owner's manual describes the procedure. There is also a good explanation and walk-through of the process in the FAQs sticky at the top of this forum.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:37 PM
edcologne
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CAPTRKO
I need to buy a new key FOB #1.

(first for the search gods.....I did that and only found info on replacing the battery)

I only have key FOB #2. I see several OEM Key Fob replacements on ebay and want to make sure of a few things.

1. Does it matter what number the key fob is? In other words I see guys selling Key FOB 1, and FOB 2. Will I need to make sure I order Key Fob 1?

2. Is it pretty easy to program? I know I can call a locksmith but kinda figured if anyone has done this before they can walk me through it? I understand that the new FOB will have an uncut key so I will need to get that duplicated to my #2 FOB with cut key.

Thank you in advance
did just that a few month ago, worked fine for me.
just went by the instuctions in the owners manual (download in the faq's here).

my #1 fob just had some pocket wear that was what made me do it.

since the 1 or 2 is stamped on the fob you should get whichever # you miss.

since I had the old one I just kept the key of it. you can use the key you have at least for the time being and put it in the fob you use every day until you cut a new one.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:39 PM
CAPTRKO
Pro

Originally Posted by edcologne
did just that a few month ago, worked fine for me.
just went by the instuctions in the owners manual (download in the faq's here).

my #1 fob just had some pocket wear that was what made me do it.

since the 1 or 2 is stamped on the fob you should get whichever # you miss.

since I had the old one I just kept the key of it. you can use the key you have at least for the time being and put it in the fob you use every day until you cut a new one.

Perfect!

I looked for the "sticky" and all I find is the Battery replacement Link and not a FOB Replacement. I will order one of ebay and go from there.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:58 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Here are the programming procedures. You need to decide if you want the new FOB to access the memory features or not. If you do then you need to use the Long procedure which erases all existing programming:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...tructions.html
Old 05-30-2013, 09:05 PM
CAPTRKO
Pro

Originally Posted by RicK T
Here are the programming procedures. You need to decide if you want the new FOB to access the memory features or not. If you do then you need to use the Long procedure which erases all existing programming:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...tructions.html
PERFECTO AMIGO! Just what I needed!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 11:15 PM
CAPTRKO
Pro

Just got a #1 FOB on fleabay for $50. I am sure I will have more questions. When I program this one to my car will it become #3?

Can i Program it to become #1 ?
Old 05-30-2013, 11:28 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Yes you can program it to be number 1 relative to the car's presets/preferences/etc.

Longer procedure to erase old fobs and start over re-programming #1 and #2.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:40 PM
CAPTRKO
Pro

Do most of you guys remove the key in the FOB and keep them apart? I read somewhere on the forum that it is a good idea to do so.....not sure why?

I now will have a used FOB with a key that will not work--so I can buy another key or just throw the useless key away and order a new one, of just only have two FOBS and one good key.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:45 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

...I now will have a used FOB with a key that will not work--so I can buy another key or just throw the useless key away and order a new one, of just only have two FOBS and one good key.
You're asking for trouble with just one key... after you lock the key & fob in the hatch area "dead zone", you'll wish you had a spare.

Hide a key outside/under the car. Or this one fits nicely in a wallet:

Under $10/each. Tell your key shop to use key blank B-106 (same as a Saturn key).

And test it to make sure it actually works.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:23 AM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Perfect!

I looked for the "sticky" and all I find is the Battery replacement Link and not a FOB Replacement. I will order one of ebay and go from there.

Thanks!
Well it takes a couple clicks. The sticky at the top of the forum is the "mega" thread of DIY etc. -- I sort of thought the "do it yourself" clue would have been obvious. That link takes you to a list where you can click on the C6 FAQ thread -- which takes you to a couple of hundred terrifically useful threads.

The reason I encourage folks to do that (instead of just giving them the link) is that it is seriously useful to know how to get at all that helpful stuff.

Last edited by CaryBob; 05-31-2013 at 04:25 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:27 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Do most of you guys remove the key in the FOB and keep them apart? ...
The 2005-2007 had a seperate key. The first thing I did was take those keys and put them in the safe. Why do you need a key? Two reasons - the battery went dead or you locked the FOB inside the car. The former should be a very rare occurrence and should be noticed first when you are home where you keep the key. In the latter case the last thing you want is the key right there with the FOB inside the car. The 2008 and up FOB makes the key an integral part of the FOB. Remove it and you have a hole. In that case I would leave the keys in the FOBs to plug the holes but never depend on them for anything. The best solution for both types is as Lightfoot suggests. Get a headless duplicate made and keep it in your wallet. The biggest issue I have with that solution is to remember it is in there. In 6 years I have never used a key for anything other than testing. Testing is also something everyone should do before they need it and find the cable connecting the key to the latch wasn't connected at the factory.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:42 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,499 Likes on 3,586 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
You're asking for trouble with just one key... after you lock the key & fob in the hatch area "dead zone", you'll wish you had a spare.

Hide a key outside/under the car. Or this one fits nicely in a wallet:

Under $10/each. Tell your key shop to use key blank B-106 (same as a Saturn key).

And test it to make sure it actually works.
I had a key made, just like the picture, and taped it to the bottom of the car hidden only to me, incase of emergency I can enter the car.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:20 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,811 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

This allows you to decide the correct procedure to program your FOBs. It also gives you notes to consider prior to getting stuck.

>>C6 Fob Programming and Glove Box Slot Testing Procedures<<

Elmer
Old 05-31-2013, 01:20 PM
bruuuuce
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread came up at just the right time, My #1 fob has always been finicky and while on vacation in Florida it wouldn't respond at all, my normal trick of taking the cut key in and out didn't work. Had to put it in the slot to get underway.... Ordered a new FOB, dealer wanted $50 to program it but I can do it myself.

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:19 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Think of the number on the fob as just a label...no different than you sticking a Dymo label on it...the label is just there to help you identify the fob...the car identifies it electrically as a result of the way you do the programming.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Frankko
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can a new style (2008) fob with integral key be programmed to work on a 2006?

I know I would have to change the locks to match the new keys.

Thanks! CF rocks
Old 06-01-2013, 11:32 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankko
Can a new style (2008) fob with integral key be programmed to work on a 2006?

I know I would have to change the locks to match the new keys.

Thanks! CF rocks
Yes, electrically they all look the same to the car.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:53 AM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Props to Elmer (eboggs_jkvl) for creating the fob checklists:

>> FOB not detected checklist <<
>>C6 Fob Programming and Glove Box Slot Testing Procedures<<

Get notified of new replies

To replacing key fob

Quick Reply: replacing key fob