C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Corvettes at dealer had foggy headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 07:10 AM
ryoder
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Used Corvettes at dealer had foggy headlights

Almost all of the used C6's at my local dealer had foggy headlight lenses. What gives?

My Vette is kept in the garage at home and work and was that way for almost 5 years. When I traded it in the lenses basically looked brand new. Do these lenses deteroriate in the sun? Do people keep their Vettes out in the sun very often?
Old 06-12-2013, 02:01 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

It would seem so, my '08 is nearly in perfect condition. I drive it to work sometimes, but most of the time it is garaged.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:06 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ryoder
What gives?
Probably exposed to the elements all their lives. You don't want to buy a car like that. Dash is probably not far behind. Plus all other plastic exterior parts and gaskets. Yes, some folks like to buy Vettes even when they live in an apartment .
Old 06-12-2013, 02:33 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

My 05, is in perfect shape, it also is garaged car, but my daily driver, but than again i'm retired.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:50 PM
sledmaster
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in an apartment and DD my car. It stays outside 24/7. Some of the people i have meet that own Vettes don't take care of them well. I wash my car weekly and use spray wax every morning when i wipe the dew and dead bugs off. My headlights stay clear.I got used to this routine because i always bought black vehicles.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:09 PM
LSD 2005
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 05 Fog Lights and Head Lights are in perfect condition. As with the rest of my Vette, I clean and wax them often. It is NOT my DD and is garaged most of the time.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:45 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

My 08 has lived out in the driveway (although I do have a garage) all it's life since mid 07. Also daily driver with 80K miles on it. These lens are susceptible to all kinds of issues. Hasn't mattered whether in the garage as a garage queen or out in the elements. Some are just more prone than others.

My lens are in pristine condition although my fogs are starting to show so wear and tear.

OP, who is the dealer? I'd like to send him some info on changing those lens or making the new purchaser aware that the replacement lens are available as a service or DIY.

2008 Vert

Owned since new in 2007

www.c6c7vette.com
Old 06-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Lucky Penguin
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foggy lens

Hi, I have an '08 and the lens are foggy on the underside. I have mentioned this on the forum before. And yes it is on the underside, not on the outside. As stated before it is a very poor design not being able to get at the underside of the lens to be able to clean and polish it. It looks like a film on the back of the lens. Just give me 5 minutes per lens and I will have them clean and shiny!!!
Old 06-12-2013, 04:00 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Not these in their current configuration. The inside poly-carbonate surface is raw meaning no protective coating like the outside. It is extremely susceptible to scratching.

The film is generally from the moisture/condensation that can/will collect on the inside surface then drying with whatever contaminates were in the moisture.

Originally Posted by Lucky Penguin
Hi, I have an '08 and the lens are foggy on the underside. I have mentioned this on the forum before. And yes it is on the underside, not on the outside. As stated before it is a very poor design not being able to get at the underside of the lens to be able to clean and polish it. It looks like a film on the back of the lens. Just give me 5 minutes per lens and I will have them clean and shiny!!!
Old 06-12-2013, 04:01 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky Penguin

You kinda lost me right after the part where you say "I have an 08 . . "
Old 06-12-2013, 04:06 PM
Biggie G
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

GOOD THREAD

I was gonna start one of this......

I left my car parked outside one night that it rained....when I saw it in the morning the headlights were both foggy.....I was pissed...I wondered if it would go away...it did!

Im not parking it outside on a rainy day again..

Get notified of new replies

To Used Corvettes at dealer had foggy headlights

Quick Reply: Used Corvettes at dealer had foggy headlights