C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-runflats / You get a flat / What do you do?

Old 06-19-2013, 05:44 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I don't drive much, but when I do, I carry a compressor. Stay aired up, my friends.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:30 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryL
Doesn't sound like you get out of PA very often. What if a driver was in the middle of Montana or Wyoming? Why pay more than you have to?

Can't - Federal Govt Witness Protection Program. And I'm sharing that info with you confidentially of course, so please respect the same
Old 06-19-2013, 07:42 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJoe
Not very many gas stations will have Corvette tires in stock. So you get towed in and they have to order some tires from the warehouse. What will you be doing for 2-3 days in the middle of nowhere while waiting for your tires? Even if you lucky enough to find a tire dealer with your brand chances are, if you drive a GS or Z06/ZL1, they will have to order the tires as well.

I bought my 2012 GS last April and since then have had three flats. The first two were slow leakers so I could pump them up as many times as needed to get to the tire store. The last I had to drive about 20 miles with zero air. A lot better than sitting in rush hour traffic waiting for a flat bed...
Same thing I'd be doing if I had runflats, presumably. Leaving the car at the service station and bumming a ride home.

The only difference between runflats and regular tires is how you get to the service station- tow or on a flat-runflat.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:22 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Flats rarely happen, usually they are slow leakers where you can maintain it with a good air compressor (recommended even if you have run flats). If it is a fast leaker than it is usually repairable with a can of slime. Can of slime is ok with the TPMS. Camaros have a can of slime. Not being good on a sensor is an old false statement. Besides a TPMS sensor is not that much. In the end you will still be hundreds of dollars ahead.

If you have a blowout or damage then you are screwed but you are screwed with a run flat anyway. Some run flats are not even repairable if you drive with less than 15psi. It is a big hazard driving at 50mph on the interstate also. Just try it without a flat.

One problem with run flats is that they are a pain to replace/remove/install. You don't want any shop to work on them and out west you would be lucky if you are within 50 miles of any tire repair shop. Regardless you'll be waiting for a new tire to come in.

But runflat owners have their reasons so whatever fits best for you. I never heard of someone on this forum that went from non RFs to RFs though.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:37 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Flats rarely happen, usually they are slow leakers where you can maintain it with a good air compressor (recommended even if you have run flats). If it is a fast leaker than it is usually repairable with a can of slime. Can of slime is ok with the TPMS. Camaros have a can of slime. Not being good on a sensor is an old false statement. Besides a TPMS sensor is not that much. In the end you will still be hundreds of dollars ahead.

If you have a blowout or damage then you are screwed but you are screwed with a run flat anyway. Some run flats are not even repairable if you drive with less than 15psi. It is a big hazard driving at 50mph on the interstate also. Just try it without a flat.

One problem with run flats is that they are a pain to replace/remove/install. You don't want any shop to work on them and out west you would be lucky if you are within 50 miles of any tire repair shop. Regardless you'll be waiting for a new tire to come in.

But runflat owners have their reasons so whatever fits best for you. I never heard of someone on this forum that went from non RFs to RFs though.

Respecting everything else you said, I think the primary and overwhelming reason you do not see the non-run flat to run flat conversion, is price. Charge the same for both and I think you would see a lot more ZP tire purchases.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:31 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Here's the story of my flat tire just two months ago.
If you are wondering how it would have turned out with non-runflats, skip to post #15 in the thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...flat-tire.html

Note that people have driven over 700 miles on a flat runflat (see the link about that in my thread), so I think you can probably get home from almost anywhere in the U.S. if you are willing to willing to drive slowly along the way and replace the tire when you get home.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 06-19-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Scotten
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam_W
I appreciate the info: so you're saying that the process of loading a Corvette with a flat tire onto a flat bed truck could damage your car in some way?
Absolutely! I've seen tow monkeys try to get my Z (totally stock, now lowered) onto a flatbed and it wasn't pretty.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:11 AM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

At the first hint of possible damage I'd stop the tow operator and insist on him using ramps or whatever it takes to get on the lift deck w/o any harm coming to my car. Telling them before they arrive might solve that dilemma. There is no way I'd stand by and watch or listen to any scraping as the car was being pulled onto the deck.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:26 AM
SpryGeezer
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdvet
....Lets not forget cell phone!
We took a short ride on I-25, ABQ - Colorado Springs last week. Cell phone coverage for most of the trip was at best sparse.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:39 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
[/B]

Respecting everything else you said, I think the primary and overwhelming reason you do not see the non-run flat to run flat conversion, is price. Charge the same for both and I think you would see a lot more ZP tire purchases.
If the PS2 ZP and the Super Sport were the same price I would still go with the Super Sports which are better in every category even according to Michelin.

Run flat technology has been around for decades yet they are only available on a couple cars. Instead manufacturers are going to non spare technology. If runflats were so great they would be a key safety feature like ABS and air bags are today.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:44 AM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotten
Absolutely! I've seen tow monkeys try to get my Z (totally stock, now lowered) onto a flatbed and it wasn't pretty.

My friend's experience with flatbed trucks sent by AAA has been without any problems, which is why I always thought that if I got a flat tire, why risk any complications of driving on a run-flat (possible damage to tire,wheel etc) when you can have AAA bring it to the place of your choosing within 100 miles. Sounds like many of you would much rather drive your runflat to the shop rather than risk damage from having a flatbed take it there.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:23 AM
richietables
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My job doesn't really permit me being late for work... I'm going to be running zp's for the duration. In addition, I threw a $20 Slime kit with the compressor in one of the compartments in the trunk floor. Made me feel like I was spending money wisely... I have AAA (gold or premium, whatever they call it) and they have always sent a flatbed out for my '65 Malibu...
Old 06-20-2013, 03:02 AM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

I've only ever gotten 1 flat tire and it was when my tire literally exploded of the rim. If i get a nail in my tire, Itll slowly leak over the course of 2-3 days, By the time i notice it getting low, I just take it off, plug it and carry on. Its not a big deal.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:29 AM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Perhaps a better question is when is the last time anyone had a flat tire? I know for me it's been many, many years. It's just not very common nowadays. I'd offer that it happens so rarely that worrying about it is wasted time and effort.
I had three flats in the first 12 months I owned my Vette. Replaced three rear tires under the tire warranty.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:05 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,945 Likes on 2,175 Posts

My c5 z06 came from the factory without run flats. I never used the very expensive to replace factory kit. I just epwent to k mart and bought a 20 dollar cigarette lighter plug in air compressor and a two dollar plug kit.

Never did it before and over the time I owned that car with over 60k miles...it took me two minutes to fix a flat.

I prefer the lighter driving feel of the c6 without run flats so that's what I use in my Hankook evo equipped c6 z51...

The performance improvement along with ride improvement make these $700 dollar for a set of four non run flat tires are my choice.

After the cars ready to go in minutes I just drive to a tire store for a high speed inside patch...not a problem for me...it's actually quite easy.

Last edited by JerriVette; 06-20-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:17 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Perhaps a better question is when is the last time anyone had a flat tire? I know for me it's been many, many years. It's just not very common nowadays. I'd offer that it happens so rarely that worrying about it is wasted time and effort.
I was about to say the same thing until I remembered I had 2 flats in the past month. (Same tire - first was a nail and second was they didn't tighten the Schrader valve after removing it to deflate the tire to fix the nail issue. Now I know another Goodyear shop to avoid in the future.) Prior to that it has been about 10 years. Hurricanes tend to fill the road with demolition trucks dropping nails.

Bottom line, run flats aren't that bad especially if you have qualms about DIY plugging a high performance tire on the side of the highway.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:09 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,065 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I still have not sold the original tires and wheels that were on my 2011 GS.

So, if I get a flat now on my Nittos, I can just use my wife's SUV to bring a wheel and tire along with my jack from home and change the tire/wheel wherever the flat occurred.

That works for around town here .... If I get a flat outside of town, I guess I'm sorta screwed!

Nice having an extra set of these (with only 1,500 miles on them) in my garage:

Get notified of new replies

To Non-runflats / You get a flat / What do you do?

Old 06-20-2013, 08:55 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
Same thing I'd be doing if I had runflats, presumably. Leaving the car at the service station and bumming a ride home.

The only difference between runflats and regular tires is how you get to the service station- tow or on a flat-runflat.
If you had run flats why would you leave the car at the shop? Drive it home instead and wait for the tire to come in.

I do get a kick out of the use of the term "Service Station". I haven't seen one of those in years. You have Tire Dealers (that usually do light repairs) and dedicated car repair shops (that might install tires) but very few Service Stations.

Bill
Old 06-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
My c5 z06 came from the factory without run flats. I never used the very expensive to replace factory kit. I just epwent to k mart and bought a 20 dollar cigarette lighter plug in air compressor and a two dollar plug kit.

Never did it before and over the time I owned that car with over 60k miles...it took me two minutes to fix a flat.

I prefer the lighter driving feel of the c6 without run flats so that's what I use in my Hankook evo equipped c6 z51...

The performance improvement along with ride improvement make these $700 dollar for a set of four non run flat tires are my choice.

After the cars ready to go in minutes I just drive to a tire store for a high speed inside patch...not a problem for me...it's actually quite easy.
You can have a repair kit but they may not always solve the problem.

I never used the kit in my 03Z. Then the guy I sold the car to drove it to visit a relative in a small town about a 2 hour drive away. He was crossing a railroad track when he felt something weird and thought the tire was going down. He drove 600 ft to a parking lot and stopped to find the right rear tire completely flat. He used the tire inflation kit to inflate the tire but it still didn't feel right when driving the car so he left the car in the parking lot and found a local shop that could order a Firestone Wide Oval non runflat in the proper size. Two days later they had the tire and he slowly drove the Vette over to the shop. When they removed the old tire they found the sidewalls had been ruined by that short 600 ft drive and it was lucky he got the car to the shop.

Bill
Old 06-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Lateforwork
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a flat in my c5, non runflats. It turned out to be a cracked wheel, not much you can do in that situation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Non-runflats / You get a flat / What do you do?