C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-runflats / You get a flat / What do you do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 10:10 PM
ryoder
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Oh and I have runflats so maybe what I just said wouldn't work for a regular tire. Not sure. I have plugged runflats twice.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by C6Joy
I think even with run flats you need a battle plan. You can't drive unlimited mileage on them. I carry a pump, repair materials and a AAA card even with the ZP tires. If I had a flat fairly close to a shop or home I would just drive carefully though.
Originally Posted by JerriVette
Nothing prepares anyone for every situation and with the new c7 I would certainly keep the run flats but as far as crisis and resolution on my c5 or c6 without run flats....I believe it makes the most sense.

I hear horror stories of people getting robbed or run over crossing the street etc...

Same in my opinion with running non run flats.

If my wife can run her CTS as it came from gm with no runflats with no spare tire and no big problem ...I think I manage in my corvette without drama..

Great for each of us to. Make our own choices. I drive the average 10 to 12 k per year and have been doing so in non run flat corvettes for just about 15 years..

Not a fan of slime as it does clog the pressure sensors but I like the two dollar plug kit and the $20 little cigarette air compressor.

Takes less Time to fix a flat than it does to type this post..

Then just take the car in when I get a chance for an inside patch to maintain speed rating.
You can go a very long way on a flat runflat, you can Search for a thread I did last year asking the question. I think the winner went over 700 miles, and only stopped because he got home. Driving more slowly, and stopping from time to time so the tire can cool off, might allow you to drive clear across the country; though there are probably differences in different brands that we don't know.

The wife will have not problems so long as she doesn't get a flat.
If she does, then the results become highly variable.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:16 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
You can go a very long way on a flat runflat, you can Search for a thread I did last year asking the question. I think the winner went over 700 miles, and only stopped because he got home. Driving more slowly, and stopping from time to time so the tire can cool off, might allow you to drive clear across the country; though there are probably differences in different brands that we don't know.

The wife will have not problems so long as she doesn't get a flat.
If she does, then the results become highly variable.
Talk about doing something unsafe for you and other drivers. Driving at 50-55mph would be like driving a moving chicane especially out west when the speed limit is up to 80mph. Personally I wouldn't risk it as you don't know what kind of damage is inside the tire. Outside might be good
Old 06-23-2013, 11:30 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdvet
Make sure you have AAA Plus or Premiere card, they have additional mileage. Lets not forget cell phone!

Old 06-24-2013, 12:19 AM
nhraracer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotten
I bought my Z06 used and the previous owner put on non-runflat tires before selling it. While driving this morning, I realized that I'm not sure what I would do if I had a flat (and I hate NOT having a contingency plan).

What do you all do? Call for a tow truck (and if so, where do you have the car towed to)? Can of sealant and a portable air compressor?

(and I'm not a big fan of my vette being towed... I've seen it done and even with some boards, they like to scrape the front lip)
Make sure you ask for a flat bed when you call for the tow truck. Otherwise, invest in a new set of run flat tires.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:44 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Talk about doing something unsafe for you and other drivers. Driving at 50-55mph would be like driving a moving chicane especially out west when the speed limit is up to 80mph. Personally I wouldn't risk it as you don't know what kind of damage is inside the tire. Outside might be good
There are places where just driving 55 would be a hazard. I've had to do it many times; the solution was to use the flashers, keep an eye on the rearview mirror, and tap the brake lights to get attention if necessary. For longer distances, do like I did this Spring- pull over and make a sign to put on the back. When practical, go onto a road with less traffic or lower speeds.

Nothing is risk free, but this isn't rocket science. Runflats give you the option to continue if it's safe, or pull over when you choose and call for assistance.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:36 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
There are places where just driving 55 would be a hazard. I've had to do it many times; the solution was to use the flashers, keep an eye on the rearview mirror, and tap the brake lights to get attention if necessary. For longer distances, do like I did this Spring- pull over and make a sign to put on the back. When practical, go onto a road with less traffic or lower speeds.

Nothing is risk free, but this isn't rocket science. Runflats give you the option to continue if it's safe, or pull over when you choose and call for assistance.
Never been to Utah have you. There are no other roads to drive slowly and the speed limit is 80 mph in a lot of places with blind curves/hills (and that is the interstates). Why bother with being a moving chicane, just slime the tire up if you want to continue driving.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:25 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by ryoder
Oh and I have runflats so maybe what I just said wouldn't work for a regular tire. Not sure. I have plugged runflats twice.
Used Dyna Plug on runflat and it works great.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:50 AM
gtrtaylor
Cruising

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I just finished replacing my OEM Goodyear run-flats tires with new run-flats.
I agree with previous posts regarding getting a flat tire.
Without run-flats, expect to be towed on a flatbed truck to a tire dealer to install a replacement tire.
Will the tires be in stock? 'Good luck' on that!.
However, two (2) factors on run-flats:
1 - Since run-flats can be run without air for up to 50 miles @ 50 mph, a number of manufacturers will not offer road hazard warranty on run flats (or if they do offer it, it is expensive).
2 - Do some research based on how you drive. I nursed 25k miles from my OEM Goodyears but they were hard and noisy.
It came down to 2 tires (Michelin and Bridgestone). Based on my Tirerack research both tires were equiivalent but the Bridgestone was considered the best ride on a run-flat.
When I priced the tires and looked at tread life warranty, I found the following:
1 - Only certain tire dealers would offer road hazard on the Michelin. Sertain tire dealers stated Michelin did not offer road hazard on run-flats, period.
2 - Bridgestone offered a tread life warrranty - Michelin tires either didn't (or it was reduced 50% due to diffferent front / rear sizes.
Decision - I bought the Bridgestone RE960 Run-flats with road hazard, a better tread life warranty (30K front and rear), and 'best in class' recommendation on ride quality (from Tirerack).
Results - I'm ECSTATIC!!!!!!!!!! (except for cost $2K)
Great ride quality - very quiet!!!
My C6 has been 'enhanced' with thicker drive tunnel plate (chassis stiffness), Heatmaster Heat shield on drive tunnel, and a complete under the carpet thermal heat / noise insulation kit from Exotic Vettes (installed by Exotic Vettes).
My C6 is (now) a cool, comfortable grand touring machine that is quick, quiet, and cool in the summer (no console heat or hot cockpit for driver or passenger). 10 dB quieter inside (you can hear the stereo at 80 mph)
The new RE960 tires finish the Grand Touring equation - great handling, great comfort, assurance of run-flats and a 'pricy' road hazard warranty should the tire(s) get damaged.
Who would 'ever' buy tires without road hazard?
FYI 2008 C6 with Magnetic Ride Suspension - My 'enhanced' C6 is a great GT car with 'new' great tires - I'm very happy
Old 06-26-2013, 07:21 AM
uwec86
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Michelin or Brigestone for wet roads?
Old 06-26-2013, 10:19 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Slightly over $1300 for a set of Michelin Super Sports for the GS/Z06 on tirerack. PS2 ZP is $700 more and even Michelin rates it as inferior to the PSS. The only time a non run flat owner will see a flat bed is if the tire is damaged beyond repair which in most cases the RF owner will do the same if he doesn't push the tire limits.

You can easily get more than 50 miles away from anything that resembles civilization out west.

Some runflats won't even let you repair it at all (Firestone), others won't let you drop the pressure below 15 psi which is not much air.

Regardless if you are using non runflats or runflats you should have a good air compressor, can of slime and maybe a tire repair kit with you. The fact is that the C6 has unique tire sizes especially the rear. You will probably wait at least 2-3 days for a specific tire.

And yes run flat owners may see a flat bed. Ask Makoshark. With his experience with run flats guess what tire he has now. The PSS.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:44 AM
uwec86
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Slightly over $1300 for a set of Michelin Super Sports for the GS/Z06 on tirerack. PS2 ZP is $700 more and even Michelin rates it as inferior to the PSS.
What brand is the PSS? Sorry for dumb questions.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:51 AM
crusher1
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by uwec86
What brand is the PSS? Sorry for dumb questions.

It is Michelin...I just put on the Pilot Super Sports 2 weeks ago. Awesome tire
Old 06-26-2013, 11:09 AM
b0xm0ns73r
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SpryGeezer
We took a short ride on I-25, ABQ - Colorado Springs last week. Cell phone coverage for most of the trip was at best sparse.
/\/\/\/\/\
What he said......I live about 4 hours northeast of him. I live in the middle of town and I can drive 7-8 minutes either direction and be out of cell range for a good while.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:53 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by uwec86
Michelin or Brigestone for wet roads?
Conti Dry Wet Snow (Extreme DWS) nonrunflat A/S tire.

Quick Reply: Non-runflats / You get a flat / What do you do?