C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tough Choice... What Would You Do?

Old 06-19-2013, 11:19 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

not08, Wow! Is it the exact same HUD as the factory version?
Yes it is.OEM parts.Install is down to a science now. Been going on for a few years,from 11 hours down to 6,5 now maybe an hour or 2 tops.Had it done in my 1lt 08 I had a few years ago.
HOWSER
Race Director

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Go GS and don't look back.
6893Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very tough choice but a good problem to have....

If I could buy the GS and add a few mods I would. If I could not add anything, I would get the 2lt. Boy, that was hard, probably hate myself in the morning.

Yes, they have kits for the HUD.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...rts-house.html
Old 06-19-2013, 11:25 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Andrew of this thread is the hud install guy as well as Steve Doten in Connecticut. Andrew has colored HUD too.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:26 PM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

Go for the 1LT GS. I just got one almost 3 months ago after I sold my C5. the widebody is way better looking than the base C6. With the 2LT all u get is HUD & GM's crappy Bose system. A waste of $2k. The handling & brakes on the GS are awesome.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:49 PM
06vert
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For putting on only that many miles, I'd go with the GS and see if you even feel the desire to get the upgrades.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:51 PM
draGonS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

Cool info on the HUD! I'm leaning GS-ward at this point. Thinking I might paint the calipers blue, add a HUD and call it good. Any good caliper paint kits out there?
Old 06-20-2013, 12:36 AM
BettermostCorvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$2K to ship? I was getting quotes from Miami to Chicago a couple months ago for $900 all day long how far is this car going?
Old 06-20-2013, 07:39 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,918 Likes on 4,804 Posts

I would work up my list of wants for the C7 and place my preorder with my dealer of choice. Why wait? I know give them a chance to work out all the bugs and all the other non valid reasons.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:42 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I would buy what I want and could care less what others think.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:52 AM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
I would work up my list of wants for the C7 and place my preorder with my dealer of choice. Why wait? I know give them a chance to work out all the bugs and all the other non valid reasons.

Just buy and drive the first C7 until your "perfect" C7 is built in a few years.
Will definately minimize depreciation like you want over an old model which you will loose your *** on.
By driving the first year C7 it will also help you in knowing what you will ultimately want in your perfect C7.
Don't waste your time and money on an old one if the new one you really want is right around the corner.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:08 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Cool info on the HUD! I'm leaning GS-ward at this point. Thinking I might paint the calipers blue, add a HUD and call it good. Any good caliper paint kits out there?
There is/was a guy on here who powdercoated and painted calipers on an exchange basis.Excellent work.Not sure if he's still around though.Haven't seen any threads in a while.There are kits out there but any body shop should be able to do calipers.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Keith

Not sure if you've perused the inventory one of the finest forum sponsors here at corvette forum, but MacMulkin Chev in Nashua Nh has plenty of C6 Grand Sports in stock and they are selling them cheaper than anyone out there (to my knowlege)

Tommy Jr is the man you want to call. I am speaking from personal experience as I have bought from him, as have countless other satisfied Vette owners here at CF. You will not, I repeat not be disapointed in dealing with him. He personaly himself alone probably sells more Corvettes than most other Chevy salesmen sell cars.

You owe it to yourself to click the link below, and search the invetory. Yes I know you're on left coast land thousands of miles away but.

http://www.macmulkin.net

You get to live once. Buy what you want now (C6)

Buy what you want later (C7)
Old 06-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
If you really plan on getting a C7 in a few years, I would keep the one you have. With the depreciation your going to take on either one of them, you could pay for that possible big repair on the one you have with money left over. JMO

If the plan really is to move to a C7 in two years the value of your C5 isn't going to change much over that time period but the value of the 13 will drop like a rock in comparison to the C5 change. If we were having this discussion 12 months ago I would probably say go with the 13 since we really didn't know much about the C7. Now you know you want one. Work toward that goal not an intermediate goal that could keep you from achieving the ultimate goal.

Bill
Old 06-20-2013, 08:58 AM
draGonS
Instructor

Bettermost: Yeah, that's what I thought at first, but it's an E Coast to W Coast trip, and enclosed shipping. I looked into open trailers, but that's just too risky for me.

Regarding buying a C7 now: I just can't bring myself to pay MSRP. As an example, the 2013 base coupe MSRP is $49,600, and dealer invoice is $45,136. That's a $4,464 dealer markup, BEFORE their 3% holdback (based on MSRP without destination charge)--$1,488 in this case. Thus the dealer makes $5,950 on MSRP in this case, and that's on a stripped car with no options. Supposedly there are other kickbacks for dealers too, but they're not easily accessible. Point is, C7s are going for MSRP right now, and most of the initial depreciation will be accounted for in dealer profit. BTW, I totally get that--I'd sell at MSRP if I were a dealer and I could. That's how supply/demand works. I fact, I think it's cool that several forum dealers won't mark up from MSRP at the moment. I simply choose not to participate.

On the other hand, currently GM is offering $5,000 worth of rebates ($2K for everyone and $3K for current Corvette owners) on the 2013s, PLUS dealers need to clear them out, so they're willing to make less on each car or even sell at a slight loss to move them. The GS I'm looking at is $56,915 MSRP, and $51,657 invoice. After holdback, it costs the dealer $49,949. With the $5K in rebates, the price I'm looking at is a little under $44K, which means this dealer is losing money to sell the car (rebates are from the FACTORY, not the dealer, so they're really selling a little under $49K). However, they're only losing about a thousand bucks, and they have to move cars to make way for the C7 cash cow. It's part of the cost of getting those new C7s on the showroom floor.

In short, I dig the C7 idea, but I'm not willing to pay the premium for the first year or two. One day I might, but for now I'm really feeling the C6 and the clearance fever. I know the C6 will take a hit, but I don't think it'll be THAT bad. My '02 held its value pretty well after the C6 came out, and I think the current incentives offered plus dealer motivation to sell equals a unique opportunity.

Sorry. WAAAAAY too much math for this early hour.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:19 AM
JohnAE455
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand your reluctance to pay MSRP on the C7 but that is really a bargin compared to what dealers were doing to the price of C5's and C6's when they first came out. Besides, in two years the 2013 will drop in value much, much more then the amount you feel you would overpay for the C7 if bought now. My 1.5 year old 4LT GS vert. is down over $20,000 from MSRP and after the C7's come out it will take another hit. With the warrenty GM has I wouldn't hesitate to buy a C7 in the first year. I really like my C6 but find I wish I had waited for the C7. My 2002 C5 was a great car and would have kept being a great car until this fall. Good luck with your choice.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:25 AM
draGonS
Instructor

Thanks, John. Wow, that really is something to think about... $20K? Ouch. I hope it doesn't take too much more of a hit with the introduction of the C7.

I figure I'll lose some money over two or three years, of course, and I'm okay with that. I just really think that getting the car for $10K below MSRP, AFTER tax is a great deal. I think it'll help, but not entirely mitigate, the hit to resale the C7 will cause.

Get notified of new replies

To Tough Choice... What Would You Do?

Old 06-20-2013, 09:28 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

10k below msrp?? I hope that's off the 1LT.If it's the 2,IT'S NOT ENOUGH.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:38 AM
draGonS
Instructor

I like the way you think, not08! It's actually a little more than 14 below MSRP. However, I count taxes as part of my cost.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:01 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by JohnAE455
I understand your reluctance to pay MSRP on the C7 but that is really a bargin compared to what dealers were doing to the price of C5's and C6's when they first came out. Besides, in two years the 2013 will drop in value much, much more then the amount you feel you would overpay for the C7 if bought now. My 1.5 year old 4LT GS vert. is down over $20,000 from MSRP and after the C7's come out it will take another hit. With the warrenty GM has I wouldn't hesitate to buy a C7 in the first year. I really like my C6 but find I wish I had waited for the C7. My 2002 C5 was a great car and would have kept being a great car until this fall. Good luck with your choice.
Frankly, while I think your math is OK as far as it goes, OP, I do agree w. the above. And you are only doing one side of the equation: what you think your C6 costs now, and will be worth if it were still the C6 generation.

MSRP, while a bogeyman that few like to pay, is just numbers, too. And that's why I agree w. John's numbers above. It's one thing to take a $10K+ hit on a used C6 sometime down the road. It's yet another cost to factor in how much is the value reduction of generational changes. Just ask the C5 owners who, one to two years into the C6 generation, saw their numbers go way down, then stabilize.

Better yet, ask a salesperson who has been selling Corvettes for awhile (more than one gen), and knows the history of prices AND doesn't have an axe to grind (as in, desperate to get you to sign up today for a new car).

Unless, of course, paying five to ten K or more, doesn't mean much to you. In which case, for you, it's all about paying MSRP, and money isn't a factor because if you pay more later (by losing more on your C6), it's ok as long as you don't pay MSRP for a new car.

There are people like that and I'm not knocking you if that's your approach.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tough Choice... What Would You Do?