C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat belt adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 09:44 PM
HYHOSIL
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Seat belt adjustment

The passenger seat belt tends to tighten up as I drive. It actually locks up and the only way to release it is to unbuckle it and let it go all the way back in. Then you can pull it out and re-buckle it. Pretty annoying. Is this something that can be adjusted?

Thans
Old 06-29-2013, 10:22 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

"It's not a bug, it's a feature!"

The C6 belts have a cinch feature. If you pull the belt (almost) all the way out from the reel, it will automatically go into cinch mode and only get tighter, never looser, until you release it and start over.

On some cars, that's to hold kiddie seats in place. In the C6, it's designed so you can get the belts to hold you in place for high performance driving. Not as good as a 5 or 6 point harness, but still pretty nice.

For max tightness, move your seat rearward. Fasten the belt and activate the cinch feature, then pull it tightly into the reel by hand. Finally, move your seat forward to the normal driving position. If you can just barely breathe, you've got it right!
Enjoy!

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 06-29-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I was giving track rides this Monday and Tuesday and I would get run the seat back all the way and then get the passenger to pull the shoulder belt all the way out to get it into cinch mode and then buckle the belt and make sure it was positioned properly across their pelvis. If they had a beer belly I had them lift it up and make sure the belt was under it. Once in position I would heave on the shoulder belt to pull the lap belt tight while feeding all the slack into the shoulder belt take up reel. When they started complaining the belt was hurting I would leave loose and run the seat forward. You can really get the belt tight that way and as we ran laps I saw there bodies were staying in place.

If a rider in your car is inadvertantly putting the belt into cinch mode you can get GM to provide a belt extension so they don't have to pull it out so far.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Seat belt adjustment

Quick Reply: Seat belt adjustment