C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do people insist on parking next to me even if I park far away??

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 07:29 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
It happens all the time. We stopped at a Mcdonalds and parked way out back and came out to find this.....

Attachment 47728573

It was pulled by an old lady who had to go out of her way to put it there...

Old 06-29-2013, 07:34 PM
1TonyT
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'd have a better chance of finding Jimmy Hoffa then knowing the answer to your question!
Old 06-29-2013, 07:42 PM
vettman96
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by steveb601
Life is way too short....
Yes Sir, way 2 short.................................
Old 06-29-2013, 07:53 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by J Vette
Well, I did say I felt some remorse about that later. But I didn't say it was a her. I believe I wrote him/her because I didn't know the gender.
I'm sure you (and some others here) are always perfect gentlemen and always kind and understanding.....well, except of those writing posts with which you disagree,
Now, If I'm ever alone in a waiting room with seating for 100 and someone comes in and sits right next to me, I'll know it's you or one of the other perfect people on this thread who are so quick to throw stones.
I'm far from perfect or a perfect gentleman all the time. Vette owners have a public image of being old, white, rich, arrogant men. Reading this thread does nothing to dispel that image and only reinforces it. People using terms like a-hole, d-bag, jerk and Fn a-hole to describe people who dare to park near their Vette in a public parking lot AND CAUSE NO DAMAGE. People bragging about double parking and having a disabled parking tag when they're not disabled.

If someone damaged my Vette I'd be plenty pissed. Parking near it in a public lot and not damaging it? Nope, nothing to get pissed about. Life is way too short to get worked up and pissed off over literally nothing.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:55 PM
fast-vette
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I need to go to a location i.e. mall, Target, Cosco etc. My best insurance is to have my wife come along and I stay in the "vette. I have run off a few people mostly in beaters from parking too close to me. Never had a problem.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:01 PM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by pokerpro
If that were my Vette that he slammed his door against you can etch it in stone that I would be writing this thread from prison!
Pokerpro I could not agree with you more. Especially knowing the coin you have invested in your vette, one of the finest out there I may add.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:09 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

After having my front end smashed in a hit and run in the densely populated portion of a parking lot, I can understand why people park in the middle of nowhere. Then again, when there's alcohol involved, perhaps even in the middle of nowhere my car may not have been safe.

I can see both strategies' merits. I personally prefer to park 3 or 4 spots away, as parking in the middle of nowhere draws attention, but most people will choose a parking space closer to the store, so you're likely safe. Parking too close can result in accidental damage, but then again you don't stand out as a target. People may park next to you because they feel the same way about their vehicle and want to keep it nice as well. I consider it flattery, though it does aggravate me a little bit. At least park a space away, not directly next to me when there are another 300 open.

Getting angry about the parking lot situation is useless. Unless you own it, you don't make the rules. Is it annoying? Yeah. Can you do anything about it? Nope. It's far more productive to take a few deep breaths and enjoy the ride home in your Corvette.

Last edited by ProfessorDeath; 06-29-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:15 PM
rbryant
4th Gear

Default parking

People do that on purpose ,most likely to **** you off. It would not be a real problem except they parked so close you had to squeeze in. That tells me they did it on purpose. I would not have been so nice and just left a note.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:18 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

I have a 68 coupe that I have owned for 41 years, next month. Last fall I parked at a nice restaurant that has a huge parking lot. I always park on the one side to avoid people dinging me. There was a pickup truck with three people working on the building, two spots away. When my wife and I came out, some idiot parked 15" away from my driver door. I had to open the Passenger door, pop the shifter into neutral and push the car back to get into it. There were no other cars on that side, in that lot. Lou.

Last edited by loup68; 06-30-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:19 PM
ljc
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at this from another perspective...they were not being jerks (no scratches nor damages). It was someone who admired the car and wanted to see a close-up of the interior without feeling embarrassed. Could you imagine the person or people parking 15 spaces away and THEN walking all the way towards your car just for a quick look around? The awkwardness of others or even you walking out seeing them admire your car when it is obvious that they went out of their way to do so. Now, by parking directly next to you, they can get out of their car and take a quick look or snap a picture and not feel ashamed about it. It just appears as if people are being jealous or hateful when they park near us out in the middle of nowhere. Just remember, there are people who have never been close up to a corvette and seeing one isolated in a public parking lot is their opportunity.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:29 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by GMJim
Why would they think you're special when all you want to do is avoid some clown bouncing his door off of your car?
I may have worded that poorly, but you have to agree that petty people will think that about a car by itself in the boonies.

My preferred risk is door contact versus vandalism and this is where I will end my portion of the conversation.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:30 PM
VA50th
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Walmart + Vettes =
Old 06-29-2013, 08:41 PM
gar4403
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are these the same people that park next to me in the bathroom stall at work when they have 15 others to choose from?
Old 06-29-2013, 08:42 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Valleybacker
There are two reasons

1) collectivism. People tend to do what others do and so they will park next to people just out of nature/instinct

2) he wanted to protect his car by parking next to you
3) Envy.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:43 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree, this just befuddles me and drives me crazy. I always park in the farthest away spot. Hell, sometimes I will park in the lot of the closed business next door to my target store, and they still find me. And I will say something if they come out. Like, "dude, clearly I parked as far away as possible, why on earth did you park right next to me of all places?"

Typically, I am met with just dumb stares. And that's what it is, sheer stupidity. People are dumber today, and no concept of respect for others or their property, and no sense of consideration. I mean, if I see a shopping cart near some stranger's car, I will move the cart so it doesn't roll into their car. I'm not some wonderful guy, but I think it is good Karma.

Another fave is when I am parking my old beater Jeep on a hill, and some dumb bunny parks right behind me, right up on my ***. Can't open my tailgate without whacking their car, and can barely pull out without rolling and crushing their car. Dumb dumb dumb.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:24 PM
Duro
Racer

I can live with someone parking by me as long as they don't cause any damage. What I get pissed off at is the jerks that intentionally park so close that you can not even open the drivers door. I have had to crawl over from the passengers side twice because someone backed in inches from the drivers door.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:40 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, This is two nights in a row. Went to HH Gregg tonight. There were 5 cars in the parking lot. Parking lot is appx 300 x 300ft, So I parked somewhere just past the middle. No cars near me. We stayed in there 10 minutes. Came out and..........you guessed it. Same cars there as before except one more right next to me. At least I had room to get into the car this time.

Now that person has every right to park there. But why? I've never noticed this with any other vehicle I've had. And I park the same way with new vehicles as I do the Vette.

I don't generally worry about it as long as no damage. Nor would I have minded it last night if the car hadn't been so close. But I'm just curious as to why they park next to my Vette when there seems to be absolutely no advantage to doing so

Get notified of new replies

To Why do people insist on parking next to me even if I park far away??

Old 06-29-2013, 10:43 PM
Supercrewbear
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've showed this pic before. I was parked way in the back at Texas Roadhouse one evening way before they were busy and when I left I found this Porsche parked so close I couldn't open my door very wide either - and I'm a big, fat sucker! Plenty of other empty parking spots...

Old 06-29-2013, 10:51 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Duro
I can live with someone parking by me as long as they don't cause any damage. What I get pissed off at is the jerks that intentionally park so close that you can not even open the drivers door. I have had to crawl over from the passengers side twice because someone backed in inches from the drivers door.
What I get pissed off at is the jerks that intentionally park so close that you can not even open the drivers door

Exactly. The OP car was parked in such a way so that it's driver door and mine were next to each other. There's no way that the driver couldn't see how close they were. It looked like a deliberate attempt to cause major inconvenience or worse. That's why I got ticked off. It was not because they were parked next to me.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:44 PM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

First of all I would like to say I don't know how WalMarts are in TN but in SoCal you really don't want to be in a WalMart parking lot in ANY car at 8:30pm let alone wait around to ask someone why they parked so close to you! If there was damage that's a different story of course. Secondly I understand your frustration, but being that it was a newer, nicer accord I have heard the theory of parking next to another nice car under the impression that the person who owns it will be carefull too...but they shouldn't have parked 12 inches from your door...my advice is to go to WalMart in the morning if you have to go...the workers seem to be less ghetto, more mature, in a better mood and their pants aren't sagging so bad that you see their damn boxers...

Quick Reply: Why do people insist on parking next to me even if I park far away??