C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do people insist on parking next to me even if I park far away??

Old 06-29-2013, 11:56 PM
Brady Kohuth
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueAngelSAE
Maybe that person felt the same way about their car as you do yours. Thus believing you were the safest to park next to. You were wrong to get upset and leave a note calling names in any area open to the public....
How on earth can you say "you were wrong to get upset". Dude,he couldn't get in. I would have left more words on that note than I care to describe !!

This seems to be our screwed up society,people just don't care about anyone but themselves,but if it happens to them,oh horrors !!
Old 06-30-2013, 12:04 AM
CMCvette
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

They have Vette envy. Period. I think the other driver was a jerk for parking so close to you, but it was their immature way of expressing jealousy. Perhaps they interpreted your parking far away as a sign of holier than thou, but I religiously do the same with all my cars - it's just a good way to help guard against damage, tho it can backfire.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:07 AM
fireinv38
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

parked at end of lot at a restaurant away from everybody, said to wife either a tree will fall or plane crashes on car. seemed pretty safe. in waiting area by bar and somebody yells " anybody own that vette out there, i kinda backed into it. front left quarter backed into, crushed it. nobody hurt. my fault should have parked it real close to somebody else then it would not have been hit)
Old 06-30-2013, 05:25 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Wow! You guys are using parking lots?!?
Old 06-30-2013, 06:45 AM
ButchN
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

I go to work for 1AM. I can park up close to the building, but choose not to. I have been parking in that spot you see below for nearly 2 years, 1st with my previous 82 coupe, & now this coupe.

Lately the Charger & Prius started parking near me.
They arrive at "normal" 1st shift time, & as you can see, literally have dozens of spots to chose from yet park near, no, next to my car.

There are 2 companies in my building & no one had come up to me in my company laughing at what would be "the joke", so I know it's people I do not know. The Charger did get quite close a few days, & the Prius skips a space.
I wish I'd have taken a 2nd shot the other way to show the rest of the lot to the building.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:26 AM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

It's irritating that the Honda parked so close, but the reason may be that they want to keep their paint chip-free also and know that you won't bang your door into them. Perhaps they consider it sort of a remote parking area for well-kept cars.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:27 AM
wera32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually did this once in my truck. I can't explain it to this day. Lowe's I think it was. A lone Bronco parked by itself near the end of a half empty row. I pulled in right next to it. Must be the herd mentality.

Anyway, I pulled in and parked. Just the two of us. I looked over and the driver was in the Bronco shaking his head at me like " you pin head". Turned out he was a friend of mine! He asked me why I parked right next to him while surrounded by empty slots. Couldn't explain it then, can't now. But I learned from it!

Last edited by wera32; 06-30-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:26 AM
Allan
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Were they trying to tick me off?
Yep, and they did!
Old 06-30-2013, 08:39 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,235 Likes on 703 Posts

Originally Posted by butchn
I go to work for 1AM. I can park up close to the building, but choose not to. I have been parking in that spot you see below for nearly 2 years, 1st with my previous 82 coupe, & now this coupe.

Lately the Charger & Prius started parking near me.
They arrive at "normal" 1st shift time, & as you can see, literally have dozens of spots to chose from yet park near, no, next to my car.

There are 2 companies in my building & no one had come up to me in my company laughing at what would be "the joke", so I know it's people I do not know. The Charger did get quite close a few days, & the Prius skips a space.
I wish I'd have taken a 2nd shot the other way to show the rest of the lot to the building.

I have been to Menards and other big box parking lots and have come out to find other "special" cars like Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers, and other Vette's next to me. It never bothers me because those people are parking there for the same reasons I am and I don't worry about getting a door ding from them.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:48 AM
BlueAngelSAE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Supercrewbear

I've showed this pic before. I was parked way in the back at Texas Roadhouse one evening way before they were busy and when I left I found this Porsche parked so close I couldn't open my door very wide either - and I'm a big, fat sucker! Plenty of other empty parking spots...

Another good reason to back in......
Old 06-30-2013, 09:05 AM
BlueAngelSAE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brady Kohuth
How on earth can you say "you were wrong to get upset". Dude,he couldn't get in. I would have left more words on that note than I care to describe !!

This seems to be our screwed up society,people just don't care about anyone but themselves,but if it happens to them,oh horrors !!
. For this thread the Vette people are only caring about themselves???

Pretty easy, public lot, no damage....he didn't state he owned the lot, blocked the spaces next to him or put up the required " precious vette no parking in adjacent spaces" signs.....really just by reading this thread it seems pretty obvious, it happens all the time and I would bet that most people it is just to get a closer look at an awesome looking car....the spaces are layed out so tight that I would also bet most people that don't own a wide opening door type vehicle wouldn't consider the amount of space needed to open the door and squeeze in.

Getting upset by that which you can't control only allows those people and things to control you! As others posted get in and enjoy the ride home and quit thinking about the damn tit- suckers!!!!

As a by the way...if anyone ever gave me grief for parking anywhere I damn well please (read...legal space, in my lines and not damaging others property) I might certainly drive my biggest vehicle f250 crew and park next to them every and anytime I could.....after all, who the hell do they think they are to tell me where/ how to park! just sayin.....
Old 06-30-2013, 09:11 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How do you like it?

Old 06-30-2013, 09:14 AM
USAF
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercrewbear

I've showed this pic before. I was parked way in the back at Texas Roadhouse one evening way before they were busy and when I left I found this Porsche parked so close I couldn't open my door very wide either - and I'm a big, fat sucker! Plenty of other empty parking spots...

If you're parking way out back all by your lonesome take 2 spaces.
Park diagonally.
People tend to get it then.

I do this with all my cars.
Not just the vette.

USAF
Old 06-30-2013, 09:19 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Wife and I drive an old 97 z28 Camaro that has 220000 miles on it, belonged to done of the girls it has bumps and dings mirrors housing that are scratched from people parking to close and not caring. We park out just so we can open the doors without crawling out it's just easier. Oh and I hate waiting on the jockey who has to back in 3 or 4 attempts to get it right duh learn to drive.
z51vett

Last edited by z51vett; 06-30-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:30 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by jdk541
First - Let me start by saying you were not the "jerk" in this situation. I applaud you for your self-control by just placing a harmless note on this douche-bag's car.

Secondly - Unfortunately it happens all the time and it is not just Corvettes. I experienced the same thing a few weeks ago when we were out in my wife's Traverse. We were at Target. When we arrived I parked way out back with nobody near. When we come out there was this couple who looked like they were homeless getting in some beat-up old P/U truck. I had to wait for them to get in their vehicle since I couldn't get in ours. I shook my head and said some choice words under my breath to which the toothless wonder retorts, "we were here first". My wife shouted back as they pulled away, "What are you 5?"

Third - It was a Wal-Mart you were at after all, so nothing surprises me what goes on in a parking lot of one of those places. I make it a point to never go there, I don't care how low their prices are. They don't make those books called "The people of Wal-Mart for nothing".

The driver either did it out of jealousy or was busy texting while parking and didn't even notice your car was there. Some of the responses above are right though, in a public parking lot everything is fair game. I guess that is why there are so many Corvettes that are garage queens, because it is the only way to ensure you keep it looking good. The majority of the driving public is not qualified to be behind the wheel. That percentage goes up for the average Wal-Mart customer.

Good luck out there.
This !!!!!!!!!
Old 06-30-2013, 09:36 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 399 Likes on 281 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Steve_R
You left a note on their windshield calling them a jerk because they parked close to you in a public parking lot and did NO DAMAGE? Wow. There was one jerk parked there for sure.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath
After having my front end smashed in a hit and run in the densely populated portion of a parking lot, I can understand why people park in the middle of nowhere. Then again, when there's alcohol involved, perhaps even in the middle of nowhere my car may not have been safe.

I can see both strategies' merits. I personally prefer to park 3 or 4 spots away, as parking in the middle of nowhere draws attention, but most people will choose a parking space closer to the store, so you're likely safe. Parking too close can result in accidental damage, but then again you don't stand out as a target. People may park next to you because they feel the same way about their vehicle and want to keep it nice as well. I consider it flattery, though it does aggravate me a little bit. At least park a space away, not directly next to me when there are another 300 open.

Getting angry about the parking lot situation is useless. Unless you own it, you don't make the rules. Is it annoying? Yeah. Can you do anything about it? Nope. It's far more productive to take a few deep breaths and enjoy the ride home in your Corvette.

Best compromise yet " park 3-4 spots away !!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Why do people insist on parking next to me even if I park far away??

Old 06-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I just park as if driving a Chev Impala and I have not had any problems. I just make sure I'm square in the space, other drivers park at a reasonable distance. I should worry about me, I had to replace my lower air dam after I accidentally drifted into a bumper block while looking down putting an item in the center console and pushing the clutch in. It is a car and unless you leave it in the garage, subject to damage. If you don't use it why have it.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:49 AM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

There are haters and there are jerks out there with anyone that has something nice. Had one just 2 days ago lane block me on purpose (4 lane goes to 2 lanes), who floored his car, and moved up about 10 spaces when my blinker came on and prevented me from getting in the one remaining lane....I nearly had to stop as my lane ended.

It pi$$ed me off, and my dear bride reminded me not to be a bigger jerk than he. 5 mins later I was over it and enjoying my drive.

Don't let someone steal your joy, you have worked to hard to get it. People want what you have, they just don't want to go where you have been to get it.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:53 AM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gar4403
Are these the same people that park next to me in the bathroom stall at work when they have 15 others to choose from?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do people insist on parking next to me even if I park far away??