C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay, don't laugh but...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 10:33 PM
AtomicZ_Eric
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 5 Posts

Since owning my Z-oh the wipers have been activated only one time. I accidentally nudged the wiper stalk and they swiped ONLY ONCE. So pissed bc I think this may have been their first activation since being sold. Original owner never drove in the rain either. Wasn't happy about popping the proverbial cherry.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:38 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicZ_Eric
Since owning my Z-oh the wipers have been activated only one time. I accidentally nudged the wiper stalk and they swiped ONLY ONCE. So pissed bc I think this may have been their first activation since being sold. Original owner never drove in the rain either. Wasn't happy about popping the proverbial cherry.

'Oh hell to the no - say it ain't so !!! At least you didn't get the tires dirty yet . . . .
Old 07-08-2013, 10:44 PM
Blue Bandit
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silverblue
I bought my 2012 Carlisle Blue coupe brand new in March of 2012. Since then, the car has NEVER seen rain. I'm serious, I have never even switched on the windshield wipers. I have other vehicles I drive when the weather is the least bit threatening.

Well, after nearly three weeks of pouring rain every single day, I couldn't stand it a day longer. I needed my Corvette "fix". With rain chances hovering around 30%, I decided to chance it and drive the 'Vette to work.

On the way home the sky absolutely opened up. I am talking a deluge of positively biblical proportions. I'm not sure, but I think some old guy in a houseboat full of animals passed me on the interstate. I'm unsure, since visibility was on the order of five feet.

I did arrive home safely and my very wet sports car is now drying out in the garage as I write this. Needless to say, I'll be detailing my baby this weekend...

I am conflicted here. Have I finally popped my bad weather "cherry" and will now take the car out more often?, or...

Does 10% become my new maximum rain chance?

I do have withdrawals when a week has passed w/o taking the beast out. Uh, decisions, decisions...
I understand needing the vette fix. I use 3 different weather apps on my iPhone, & yet, sometimes I get caught in rain. I actually drove down a gravel road last night. I think I went 2 mph. Never do that again.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:45 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverblue
I bought my 2012 Carlisle Blue coupe brand new in March of 2012. Since then, the car has NEVER seen rain. I'm serious, I have never even switched on the windshield wipers. I have other vehicles I drive when the weather is the least bit threatening.

Well, after nearly three weeks of pouring rain every single day, I couldn't stand it a day longer. I needed my Corvette "fix". With rain chances hovering around 30%, I decided to chance it and drive the 'Vette to work.

On the way home the sky absolutely opened up. I am talking a deluge of positively biblical proportions. I'm not sure, but I think some old guy in a houseboat full of animals passed me on the interstate. I'm unsure, since visibility was on the order of five feet.

I did arrive home safely and my very wet sports car is now drying out in the garage as I write this. Needless to say, I'll be detailing my baby this weekend...

I am conflicted here. Have I finally popped my bad weather "cherry" and will now take the car out more often?, or...

Does 10% become my new maximum rain chance?

I do have withdrawals when a week has passed w/o taking the beast out. Uh, decisions, decisions...
This happened to me last week too. Went to dinner, Corvette got drenched. I drove it in the rain back home. Then we were headed out over the weekend, and it rained again. Total downpour, this time with me driving. NC isn't exactly good with drainage like FL was, so we turned around and got the other car.

It rained a little bit more the rest of the day, but ended up being nice out for most of the day wouldn't ya know? But luckily, I avoided a much bigger danger by taking the DD...

Gravel roads.

I have my AWD DD for rainy days, so I don't NEED to drive the Corvette in the rain. Truthfully, I don't particularly WANT to drive it in the rain either, its low to the ground and water gets deep here when it rains (I went through a small pond on the road leading to our home and sent water flying over the roof of the SUV... it was awesome!). I will admit, after getting caught in the rain already, I rationalized that the previous owner drove it in the rain too, and find myself more willing to take it when there's a chance of rain. It's probably going to work tomorrow actually, despite the 30% chance of rain.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:49 PM
St.Char
Melting Slicks

Received 282 Likes on 166 Posts

Unless you detail the under carriage of the car, I say drive it in the rain
Old 07-08-2013, 10:49 PM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

No rain for me either, but Damn this was close............

Old 07-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Well at least you didn't have to pull over to figure out the wiper stalk/switch like I did the first time I got caught in the rain.

Now we just have to accept the massive depreciation and shame.

Probably explains why no one waves back anymore.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:56 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,428 Likes on 775 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

My 06 convertible still has the original wiper blades. I owned it six months before it saw its first rain. I know it got snowed on while in BG before I picked it up. The chances of it ever seeing snow again are slim and none.

My 13 got rained on two weeks after getting it home.

I keep enough Zaino glass polish on the windshields that the use of wipers is only necessary during a heavy rain.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:10 PM
blitzebill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
You are sooooooooooo fortunate . . . . Carlisle Blue is the only waterproof paint color ever used on a Corvette.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:11 AM
mcc978
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,’18,’19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I was in WA for a little over year so my vette was driven frequently in the rain. It was also driven in the snow once. Guess what my vette is fine
Old 07-09-2013, 01:35 AM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

Yeah i hear ya. I had my 2002 convertible for a little over 4 years, and during that time I never once got it out in the rain, or even was willing to take it out if there was the slightest chance of rain. The original owner had never driven or exposed it to rain, so I thought I would try my best to keep that going. I don't know if it was just my OCD or just me wanting to keep it in mint condition, but it always stayed dry. I did end up selling it and to no surprise, I didn't make any more money because it hadnt been driven in the rain. As a matter of fact, the people that bought the car couldn't have cared less. In fact, they were planning on driving it almost daily during the summer. What a waste of time and effort on my behalf.

I've sense learned to cope with being realistic. I don't purposely take it out on days when its raining, but if there's a chance it's going to rain and its looking optimistic, I have no problem taking my car out. It is made of metal and won't melt in the rain. Snow and salt... now that's a completely different story.

In the end, the part that really sold me was when I finally started to make the realization that being caught in the rain isn't a heck of a lot different than washing your car. The only difference is you'll have some splashes to clean off later on. The car is no more warn or damaged because of it.

Take it from someone who's been down that road before. Drive it when YOU want to drive it, not when the weather tells you so.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:07 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

It rained 23 of the first 30 days after I picked mine up in MI and before I got home in AZ. I've been in snow, hail, mud, sand, dirt, sand storms, and all sorts of gravel roads all over the country, and I'm still smiling.

It's a 10 foot car now at 110,000 miles, but they've been happy miles.

Everybody needs to have fun in whatever way suits them. If you love driving, don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:28 AM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

You said your car had never seen rain. Not true. New cars sit outside the assembly plant for weeks, and they travel to your dealer in all kinds of weather.

On my way home from my Museum Delivery:

Old 07-09-2013, 05:44 AM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have forwarded this to your State's DMV. You can expect a new "RAIN DRIVEN" title within 2 weeks. Wait til you try and sell this one.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:34 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I hope you wiped it down and didn't let the rain dry on your paint or your gonna have water spots to deal with.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:50 AM
Carsonvette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

To me owning a Corvette is akin to being a Formula 1 Driver, real men drive in the rain.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:16 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Is this thread sarcastic, or just stupid?

Get notified of new replies

To Okay, don't laugh but...

Old 07-09-2013, 09:15 AM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

My Vette has some of the best windshield wipers I have ever had the pleasure to sit behind. No bouncing, screeching or chattering, they just wipe until the window is dry.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:23 AM
vig1116
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was staying away from rain as much as i could as well. It was kinda easy cause my 2 kids are too young to go in the vette so it's the explorer 90% of the time. Well, about a month or two ago i got stuck in a MONSOON with buckets coming down every second and floods everywhere. Now that that happened, if it's gonna rain and i want to drive it, i dont give it a second thought... (unless of course it's going to be a monsoon again, that was seriously scary in the vette, not because of the car, but because of safety....)
Old 07-09-2013, 09:24 AM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jimmy52
Seriously??? you don't want to take your car out in the rain because it's a vette? In that case, I best sell mine because it rains daily here in Florida. No way in hell I'd spend thousands on a car just so it can look pretty 24/7. Drive em! I say. That's why we buy them!!!rain or no rain.

I only have one car,, I drive my Vette daily,, I don't even pull it in the garage unless I'm going out of town and not going to drive it for 5 days or more.

Quick Reply: Okay, don't laugh but...