C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best shock choice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 12:07 PM
grendel 6.5
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best shock choice?

Recently installed Edelbrock supercharger on my base model 2009. With the added weight up front what shocks are recommended prior to a new alignment? Edelbrock no longer sells their brand recommended in the installation book.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:00 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Do you have base suspension? If so Koni FSDs are a good choice I ran them on my C5 that had a DS1C on it and they worked fine
Old 07-05-2013, 12:01 PM
grendel 6.5
3rd Gear

Yes, I have base suspension. I feel I need an adjustable shock. With the added weight on the front the air dam scrapes the payment a lot more than usual. Some added stiffness I think would stop the nose from dipping down a little.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:11 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Best adjustable shocks are coil overs, I also had them on my C5 and they were awesome and I have the Koni FSDs on our C6 and they are still a good shock
Old 07-05-2013, 11:49 PM
Stockcar Axeman
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The spring carries the weight, not the shock. The only thing the shock does is controls the spring's movement. Adjust your ride height and then get an alignment if you need. If the stock spring cannot hold the car at the ride height you desire then you need a stronger spring. If you try to correct a soft spring condition with a high compression shock you will mess your ride up. A shock (adjustable or not) does nothing for your ride height. It will only make the car stiffer or softer. As someone else said the coil overs are the best way to go if you want to start playing with suspension tuning. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:33 PM
grendel 6.5
3rd Gear

Thanks for the comments and advice. I just sold a Superformance Cobra last fall and know the coil overs are best. Thought I might get away with stiffer shocks, but I guess that's not a viable option. Again appreciate the help and will follow up on your suggestions. ps Vettes a much nicer ride than the Superformance, in my opinion.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:18 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Stockcar Axeman
The spring carries the weight, not the shock. The only thing the shock does is controls the spring's movement. Adjust your ride height and then get an alignment if you need. If the stock spring cannot hold the car at the ride height you desire then you need a stronger spring. If you try to correct a soft spring condition with a high compression shock you will mess your ride up. A shock (adjustable or not) does nothing for your ride height. It will only make the car stiffer or softer. As someone else said the coil overs are the best way to go if you want to start playing with suspension tuning. Good luck.

Except...

The Z51 shocks have a strong gas precharge in them, and do slightly support the weight of the car. When I replaced our Z51 factory shocks with base model shocks (for softer ride), the car dropped about 1/4". I did multiple measurements before and after to be sure, and most others report the same.

Aside from that, Stockcar has it right.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:16 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim

Except...

The Z51 shocks have a strong gas precharge in them, and do slightly support the weight of the car. When I replaced our Z51 factory shocks with base model shocks (for softer ride), the car dropped about 1/4". I did multiple measurements before and after to be sure, and most others report the same.

Aside from that, Stockcar has it right.
I just put on Bilstein HD shocks on my 07. It did raise the ride height for a few months. Now it is back to where it was. Wife complains that it is too low every time she gets in (bad knees).
Old 07-08-2013, 09:11 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

As said, adjust the ride height and for the money get the PFADT shocks and sways.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:11 PM
idaband
Racer

Default i have the HD's

Just point them on my 08. Didn't notice much from height changes from the stock. Both rear stock were blown out.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:40 PM
idaband
Racer

Originally Posted by C6_Demon
pfadt has some good shocks, and a lot of people also like the bilstien sports
If you go with Sports instead of HD's you might want to upgrade your sway bar.

Sport are pretty stiff. HD's still are stiff too but slightly smoother.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Stockcar Axeman
Old 07-08-2013, 04:00 PM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Now if you do still have stock suspension parts, the Pfadt packages will help in the handling. I have the Johnny O'Connell stage 1 and it still passes the wife test with much improved handling. However you might like the stage II package with adjustable coil-overs.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:53 AM
RestoRoc89
Instructor

I think the Pfadt Johnny O'Connell package along with advancing the preload adjusters on your front spring to compensate for the weight gain would solve your problem nicely. I was also impressed with the Bilstein HD shocks that a friend and I installed on his C5. While there was a little more float with his car, the rise quality was also better (read: softer).
Old 07-09-2013, 04:23 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Anyone like to comment about the Koni FSD's?
Old 07-09-2013, 04:41 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Anyone like to comment about the Koni FSD's?
Have them on my 85. Very nice shock, but I like the Bilstiens better.

Get notified of new replies

To Best shock choice?

Quick Reply: Best shock choice?