C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocross helmet needed for NCM events

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 12:35 PM
vettenlady
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Autocross helmet needed for NCM events

I am in the process of getting a helmet for motorsports at NCM but I am having trouble getting ahold of someone to ask this question.
The question is, what helmet types are required for an event like that, there? DOT, Snell, or ECE?
Anyone know that? Sure would want to have the correct one when we arrive next year.
(Hoping this doesn't sound too dumb)
Old 07-09-2013, 01:16 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

These Scorpions are DOT and SNELL certified and, very inexpensive.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...oseout+Helmets
Old 07-09-2013, 01:45 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryL
These Scorpions are DOT and SNELL certified and, very inexpensive.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...oseout+Helmets
I don't think any of those helmets are Snell SA rated - every one I was able to get info on was Snell M rated.

Originally Posted by vettenlady
I am in the process of getting a helmet for motorsports at NCM but I am having trouble getting ahold of someone to ask this question.
The question is, what helmet types are required for an event like that, there? DOT, Snell, or ECE?
Anyone know that? Sure would want to have the correct one when we arrive next year.
(Hoping this doesn't sound too dumb)
In the title of this thread you say "Autocross helmet needed for NCM events".

What NCM event are you going to??

Are you going to the Autobahn or Thunderhill event? In either case those are not Autocross events - they are run on roadcourses and an SA2005 or SA2010 helmet is required.

The NCM doesn't do much (if anything) in the way of Autocross events - generally they organize HPDE track day events that are run on roadcourses.

Here's an excerpt from the event package for the NCM VIR HPDE a couple weeks ago:

13) Helmets: Helmets with a minimum Snell SA 2005 rating are required, open or close face is your choice. DOT rated helmets are not acceptable and will not be permitted. If you are not sure of your helmet rating, call or email us for assistance but we will only accept current Snell ratings for our events.

Many Autocross organizers may allow a Snell M certified helmet, but most groups that organize HPDE type events require a Snell SA certified helmet.

All you have to do is read the registration info for the event you're going to run and the group organizing the event will have the required equipment in their driver info packet.

If you're going to start out doing autocrosses and may ultimately start running some HPDE type events, you probably should make sure you get a Snell SA2010 helmet.

Bottom line:
  • Read the info packet for the event you're planning to run

• Some Autocross groups will allow motorcycle helmets

• Most high speed HPDE's will require a Snell SA helmet

• Most all NCM events are HPDE's

• If after running some Autocross events you plan to move on to HPDE's, get an SA2010

Bob
Old 07-09-2013, 02:49 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by BEZ06
If after running some Autocross events you plan to move on to HPDE's, get an SA2010

Bob
Bob, I fully agree that the SA will pass any tech and is easily the correct choice.

What I don't know, is if there is a current SA helmet requirement for a passenger. I had found some NOS SA2005 helmets for the OP as low as $50. The thought was, if she continued auto-X after 2015, she could buy a SA2015 helmet (good for 10 more years) and the old one may still be good for a passenger.

The reason I ask, is that I had a Simpson 5-point harness that was about 4 months from expiring the 2-year limit. A guy who runs HPDE bought it for the passenger, because he said expired made no difference on that side.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Helmet man, and full face helmets are great for bikes but too restrictive for me I a car.
http://thehelmetman.com/categories/a...sort=pricedesc
Old 07-09-2013, 03:44 PM
Dendk
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends what you race, a good guide to start is here.

http://www.racinghelmetguide.com/

I would not go with anything less then a SA2010 approved helmet. open or full face depending on what the circumstances.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:00 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Bob, I fully agree that the SA will pass any tech and is easily the correct choice.

What I don't know, is if there is a current SA helmet requirement for a passenger. I had found some NOS SA2005 helmets for the OP as low as $50. The thought was, if she continued auto-X after 2015, she could buy a SA2015 helmet (good for 10 more years) and the old one may still be good for a passenger.

The reason I ask, is that I had a Simpson 5-point harness that was about 4 months from expiring the 2-year limit. A guy who runs HPDE bought it for the passenger, because he said expired made no difference on that side.
Helmet rules apply equally to both driver and passenger. Both need the same rating...ie SA...and the helmet cannot be expired.

The guy who bought the belts is a moron. Just what you want in the event of a serious accident....the passenger flying around inside the car. If a Tech Inspector checks, they will disallow a passenger if the belts are expired or they will require both driver and passenger to use the factory belts (equal levels of restraint). Most of the BMW and Porsche clubs are very strict about enforcing this. There are certainly other track day organizers that are less strict and do not verify compliance.

I'd hate to be a passenger in that guys car. I wonder what else on the passenger side doesn't matter...maybe the seat only has a couple pop rivets holding it in place?
Old 07-09-2013, 04:13 PM
vettenlady
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Autocross helmets

I was under the impression that the Corvette Caravan scheduled for next year was going to have events, including autocross.
Not so.
So...Roc, director of motorsports at the museum said that DOT approved helmets are all that is necessary for autocrossing because of the low speeds.
And all I have seen from different internet links is that DOT is not approved for official autocrossing events.
All I am going to do are club held autocrossing events, maybe two or three times a year
Such conflicting info.
Don't know what to do.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:26 PM
SSWEET
Race Director

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

Started NCCC auto-xing in 1998 .....Do yourself a favor...buy the newest Snell SA helmet you can find.....should cover you for any auto-x's you might enter.....never know when you might find an event from another club.....
Old 07-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I was under the impression that the Corvette Caravan scheduled for next year was going to have events, including autocross.
Not so.
So...Roc, director of motorsports at the museum said that DOT approved helmets are all that is necessary for autocrossing because of the low speeds.
And all I have seen from different internet links is that DOT is not approved for official autocrossing events.
All I am going to do are club held autocrossing events, maybe two or three times a year
Such conflicting info.
Don't know what to do.
It's your gourd, but I'd buy a good one, the best I could reasonably afford. In the event of an incident when you need the helmet, your going to want a good one!
Old 07-09-2013, 06:05 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Not so.
Such conflicting info.
Don't know what to do.
Autocross requirements are club dependent. This is because autocross courses vary so widely...Some are 60+ seconds in length and can see speeds nearing 90mph. Others are 30 seconds with speeds less than 60mph. Some are run in spaces so open and free of objects that a car could spin and spin and spin and never worry about hitting anything. Yet others are in confined spaces with light standards and other concrete objects nearby.

The bottom line....If you want to be able to run at any autocross or on any racetrack, buy an SA 2010 helmet. You'll be good for another 7 years. Buy DOT or M rated and you may or may not get to run at an event.

FWIW, the rating is due to the type of impacts the helmet can absorb. In a motorcycle accident, the person bounces and rolls down the pavement with multiple impact points on the helmet. In a car, and especially in a race car with a cage, the head of the person tends to smack the helmet against the roof rail, cage, etc multiple times in a more localized area. For this reason, the SA helmet will weigh more (all bets are off with $$$ carbon fiber models ). In addition, the SA helmet will have a Nomex lining for fire resistance to buy you a little time in case of fire in the car.

As someone else mentioned, ask yourself what your melon is worth and buy accordingly.

Get notified of new replies

To Autocross helmet needed for NCM events

Quick Reply: Autocross helmet needed for NCM events