C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would a tune help me or not

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 05:11 PM
hopeman
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Would a tune help me or not

OK i have a 08 c6 22k with flow masters and a k an n cold intake. would a tune help me gain hp i called a place and they said it would cost about 450 is that price high or in range. I'm new to the whole hp thing my car sort of hesitates sometime when you jump on it. and i was told that i really don't have 430 hp even though Chevy says i do what gives
Old 07-09-2013, 05:38 PM
olefam
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is just my opinion, but...
Yes - you will probably feel an increase in performance. Not because of the K&N or the Flow Master (Cat back?) exhaust. But because a good tune will recalibrate your air/fuel ration to a more stoichiometric-correct setting. Then, if you have an auto trans, the tune will most likely recalibrate your shift points and the speed with which your auto shifts. All these newe\ settings will likely make your car feel much more responsive than it does now.
Glen
Old 07-09-2013, 05:45 PM
hopeman
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks this is why i like this fourm
Old 07-09-2013, 05:50 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by olefam
This is just my opinion, but...
Yes - you will probably feel an increase in performance. Not because of the K&N or the Flow Master (Cat back?) exhaust. But because a good tune will recalibrate your air/fuel ration to a more stoichiometric-correct setting. Then, if you have an auto trans, the tune will most likely recalibrate your shift points and the speed with which your auto shifts. All these newe\ settings will likely make your car feel much more responsive than it does now.
Glen
ok glen, question. you said, "feel more responsive" but no one ever mentions more hp with an itune. is it more responsive, or is it getting more hp? i want at least 20 to 25 rwhp for my 013, 436 hp car with a6 tranny. i also have the k&n air filter system. thanks, bill van dam
Old 07-09-2013, 05:53 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

I got a Chuck Cow Tune for motor and A6, he had him still stay slightly rich on the tune as I drive hard. Here are my results, real world at the track 12.9 before tune and 12.4 after tune
Old 07-09-2013, 06:09 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by hopeman
OK i have a 08 c6 22k with flow masters and a k an n cold intake. would a tune help me gain hp i called a place and they said it would cost about 450 is that price high or in range. I'm new to the whole hp thing my car sort of hesitates sometime when you jump on it. and i was told that i really don't have 430 hp even though Chevy says i do what gives
A tune will add HP regardless of mods.

The K&N is not a CAI, no HP gain from cold air.

You have 430 HP (at the flywheel),+ or - 1%, GM has to certify the advertized HP. If a manual trans you probably have 370/380 at the Rear Wheels, if it's an auto trans expect about 360/370 Rear wheel HP with a Dynojet, SAE corrected.

If your car is an automatic the "hestiation" may be the trans downshifting to accelerate.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:18 PM
olefam
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You ask a very relevant question that few do.
Your engine is capable of providing just so much horsepower. Everything you do to extract more power from the engine has consequences. For example, you could gain a lot of power by putting on a supercharger. But force-feeding your engine additional air and fuel will (at least in theory) shorten the life of your engine due to extra heat and internal pressures.
A tune is not without consequences as well. GM enrichens the fuel/air ratio of your car to keep the temperature down. It isn't rich by much - perhaps 1 or 2 points. But consider that if the ideal fuel/air ratio is around 14.8 :1, then a 2 point difference is actually 2/14.8, or 13.5%. So bringing your engine back to "exactly" 14.8:2 theoretically should add roughly 13% more power (It woun't be exact due to parasitic factors) or 13% of 400 HP which would be around 52 HP. You won't see a 52 HP gain because a good tune shop won't take you to the edge (remember, if you go too far, you run lean and that has bad consequences as well). So let's say you gain an honest 20 - 25 HP in a perfect world. In the real world there are so many variables that you may actually see half of that. This is part of what you are going to feel as you drive.
Equally important, however, is the way that power is delivered to the ground. What you feel is TORQUE. Only kids talk horsepower (example - diesel "torque monsters" driving in F1). Your transmission and differential deliver your torque to the ground. Short of a gear change, your differential is static. Your trans, on the other hand, can be tuned to shift later and harder (faster). This is important because while you transmission is shifting, you lose torque being transmitted to the ground. So the quicker the shift, the less time is lost where you have no power being transmitted to the ground, and the "livlier" your car will feel.
This is by no means an exhaustive or even "scientifically correct" explanation. But it may help to resolve whether a tune is worth the money you are considering spending on one.
glen
Old 07-09-2013, 06:19 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Generally you lose about 60-70hp.from the flywheel hp. to rear wheel hp.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:23 PM
vig1116
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i agree with what's already been said. Manufacturers use fly wheel HP on their specs (i assume cause it looks better) but you have to decrease that number by about 15-20% for RWHP....
Old 07-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Here is what's happening with the C6 / LS3 / NPP:

M6: 436 HP -12% drivetrain loss = 385 RWHP (DynoJet SAE corrected)

A6: 436 HP -15% drivetrain loss = 370 RWHP (DynoJet SAE corrected)
Old 07-09-2013, 06:58 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Here's the best way to make that vehicle FUN ALL OVER AGAIN!

Originally Posted by peter pan
I got a Chuck Cow Tune for motor and A6, he had him still stay slightly rich on the tune as I drive hard. Here are my results, real world at the track 12.9 before tune and 12.4 after tune

Here's the best way to make that vehicle FUN ALL OVER AGAIN!

CLICK HERE FOR THE BEST WAY TO WAKE UP YOUR VETTE.

While we're on the subject, I don't care for the K&N intakes and I REALLY DON'T LIKE the fact that they

are oiled....Messes up the way the MAF reads the airflow. Get yourself a VARARAM

and MY TUNE/CoW BOOSTER! package and you'll be SMILIN' Like the rest!

Call any time.
914-332-0049
Chuck CoW

Old 07-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Check out the tune section of the forum, lots of good info in there. If you're looking for a local tuner search or post something in the regional section. I believe there are some good tune shops up in the Milwaukee area.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:17 PM
silver ls2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if you get a mail order tune from Chuck you will be super happy. The best money you will Ever spend on your vette. Chuck will even retune your car as you add more modds. His expertise on your vette is priceless.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:22 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Thank you very much!

Originally Posted by silver ls2
Even if you get a mail order tune from Chuck you will be super happy. The best money you will Ever spend on your vette. Chuck will even retune your car as you add more modds. His expertise on your vette is priceless.
Thank you very much!

With CoW BOOSTER! installed.... HAPPY you will be!

Chuck CoW
Old 07-13-2013, 10:35 AM
fmdelvecchio
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Edited, wrong thread

Last edited by fmdelvecchio; 07-14-2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: wrong area for posting, sorry

Get notified of new replies

To Would a tune help me or not

Quick Reply: Would a tune help me or not