C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

service scam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 11:21 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Assuming no warranty coverage, the cost to charge your battery, if any, is between you and the dealer. The print out can contain the end digits of the VIN as an identifier. You can ask to see the print out but if the battery issue is not warranty related, the tech may or may not print the test results.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:52 PM
vette_guy_2020
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can ask them to print out the gr8 report "just so I have it for my records and I don't forget about it." In reality, this is just to see if they're trying to scam me. If they say "we don't have a gr8 machine" or "our gr8 printer is broken" then they were probably trying to scam me.

If they give me a gr8 report that shows "battery pass - needs charge" then I'll ask them how much and pay up to $25. I wouldn't expect the gr8 report to read "battery replace" because she presented the issue as a leaky battery which also appeared to have a lower than optimal charge.

When I asked the service lady if a leaking battery would be covered under warranty she said she had no idea and would have to check. Given the feedback on this thread I have to think she's encountered more than 1 leaky battery under warranty in her tenure at the dealership, which means that she probably attempts to fabricate this issue, pass this cost onto the customer, or double charge (customer + gm).

But I think my mileage is just under 36k, last time I looked it was right around 34.5k) so since she reported a leaky battery she will have to replace it under warranty. Otherwise, it will be interesting to see how she tries to wiggle her way out of it, maybe by adding an extra "surprise charge" for my brake work?
Old 07-15-2013, 03:33 AM
AddisonD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suppose we all have to deal with whatever situation we have in front of us for these matters. I live where there are MANY dealers for these cars. They seem to want the business. The one I call "My" dealer is totally good, and has taken care of stuff on my vette and my Suburban without even mentioning it, let alone trying to up-charge for it. I have the same experience with my other car, a BWM.

Maybe its a feature of living in a city where cars are king, and dealers are plentiful, but all the hate toward the dealers is not warranted in my case. So, if I had a dealer with all these problems, I would just get the car back and go elsewhere.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:28 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just put a penny on the top of your battery and the curd will draw to the penny,problem solved
Old 07-15-2013, 08:48 AM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Just buy a battery from Costco. About $70-75 with 72 month warranty with the first 3 years at no charge replacement. Just bring the old battery to any Costco customer service desk and get a new one. Of coarse you have to do your own wrenching.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:33 PM
vette_guy_2020
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i followed up this morning and they said my car had 35.1k miles so they're going to replace the battery under warranty. We'll see tonight when I pick up my car if they tack on any "special surprise charges"
Old 07-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Dendk
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Delco batteries are fine and there warranty is good, you can usually pick one up for about $125 depending on group size from the dealership. Be careful of the Corvette tax

Quick Reply: service scam?