C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 vs. C7

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 10:58 AM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Crabbers
So you've got inside information on the C8? Do tell

I found the info on GM's media site somewhere the other day. It sounds like they want to adopt Apple's way of selling products. The lower end C8's will be little changed from the C7's of today to keep costs down. So they claim, the mid-engined C8 will be around 150k, but I think that price is going to be higher when it comes out. Car and Driver also posted pics of the C8 Mid-engined test mule a few months ago. The pictures can be found with a google search. Which is what led me to look further into it because I know a mid-engined car would put it out of the price range of many current vette owners. That's how I found out that they also plan to keep the front-engined design as well for their other models. To me, that means tweaks to the C7 design to fix small issues, but no more than that to keep prices down.

Their hopes of spinning the Corvette off into its own division sounded like something they might do down the line, and not right away.

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 03-18-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:26 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by CriticalmassGT
I found the info on GM's media site somewhere the other day. It sounds like they want to adopt Apple's way of selling products. The lower end C8's will be little changed from the C7's of today to keep costs down. So they claim, the mid-engined C8 will be around 150k, but I think that price is going to be higher when it comes out. Car and Driver also posted pics of the C8 Mid-engined test mule a few months ago. The pictures can be found with a google search. Which is what led me to look further into it because I know a mid-engined car would put it out of the price range of many current vette owners. That's how I found out that they also plan to keep the front-engined design as well for their other models. To me, that means tweaks to the C7 design to fix small issues, but no more than that to keep prices down.

Their hopes of spinning the Corvette off into its own division sounded like something they might do down the line, and not right away.
I'm not sure where to even start with that post.

This site is slowly eating away at my sanity. I'll let someone else address that, because I am not getting sucked into the rabbit hole again.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:28 AM
RichKiss
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

I will love a C7 when they make body panels to make it look like a C6
Old 03-18-2015, 01:00 PM
StingerBG
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Not sure why that was laughable...but ok. You diehard C6 guys have a few loose screws.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:25 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by StingerBG
I just feel that 90% of the people commenting on this thread are VERY biased. (considering it IS in the c6 section)
Pray tell, just what did you expect here?

You diehard C6 guys have a few loose screws.
Take a deep breath and try to understand that money aside, many Corvette guys genuinely prefer the appearance of the C6 over that of the C7. Really.

We're all excited that you like your C7 and are happy for you.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:16 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Racer

Take a deep breath and try to understand that money aside, many Corvette guys genuinely prefer the appearance of the C6 over that of the C7. Really.

Now this I can agree, with! I think the C7 is fantastic and a great improvement in many areas over the C6, but on an aestethic perspective many (myself included) find the C6 styling more appealing overall.

I love my C7Z, but if it had the C6 427 body, it would be my heaven on earth!
Old 03-23-2015, 10:09 AM
StingerBG
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Racer

Well...I didn't exactly come to the C6 forum and find this thread...it was on the Forum's home page. I thought it looked interesting so I clicked it. Still didn't even realize it was in the C6 section till after my first comment.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:38 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

For me it is not an issue of being the 1st on the block to own a C7
and I do not buy anything based on how someone else sees the car. When I drove a C7 the first thing I noticed was the heater control and they appear to be a copy of the Camaro heater controls. I was thinking about getting a new Camaro for work travel but I rented one first and hated it after driving it for a week. Could not see out of the back and the heater controls are not for me. All of my GM products have simple controls (KISS) and they work. Why did GM screw up a good product when there was not a need to change it. Now look at the steps needed to put the car into a track mode. On C5 and C6 cars it was a simple button on the console. In my CTS-V it on the steering wheel. Both easy to engage. Again the rear view on the C7 is terrible inside and from the outside it does not flow as well as the C5-6 cars. Now comes the ZO6 with a supercharger. Supercharging adds heat to the engine which in turn reduces the performance. It only took 5 laps at Road Atlanta for me to feel the power reduction and the engine temperature was getting too high for my comfort. I tried backing off but it seemed once it got hot a few laps of 90% did not help and even as it was not even my car I still brought it in. My last issue is fit. I am 6'3" 225 and it is too tight for me. Add a helmet and of course it adds to the discomfort. I see it as just like the later supercharged Cobra Mustangs that overheats after driving more than a few on a track. Great for street and drag strips but well suited for track. As someone noted above the taillights were changed on the later Camaros and that by itself was not my deciding factor but rather the sum of all the issues I had while driving was too much. Of course the dealers add on for "rare cars" did not help. Will I ever get a C7, I don't see it and my c5 convertible, C6 Grandsport and C6Z are all a pleasure to drive. I can easily afford the car of my choice but it is my choice and not what anyone else thinks I should drive. If I recall Basket Robin makes 31 flavors for a reason.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:03 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by jmurf28
For me it is not an issue of being the 1st on the block to own a C7
and I do not buy anything based on how someone else sees the car. When I drove a C7 the first thing I noticed was the heater control and they appear to be a copy of the Camaro heater controls. I was thinking about getting a new Camaro for work travel but I rented one first and hated it after driving it for a week. Could not see out of the back and the heater controls are not for me. All of my GM products have simple controls (KISS) and they work. Why did GM screw up a good product when there was not a need to change it. Now look at the steps needed to put the car into a track mode. On C5 and C6 cars it was a simple button on the console. In my CTS-V it on the steering wheel. Both easy to engage. Again the rear view on the C7 is terrible inside and from the outside it does not flow as well as the C5-6 cars. Now comes the ZO6 with a supercharger. Supercharging adds heat to the engine which in turn reduces the performance. It only took 5 laps at Road Atlanta for me to feel the power reduction and the engine temperature was getting too high for my comfort. I tried backing off but it seemed once it got hot a few laps of 90% did not help and even as it was not even my car I still brought it in. My last issue is fit. I am 6'3" 225 and it is too tight for me. Add a helmet and of course it adds to the discomfort. I see it as just like the later supercharged Cobra Mustangs that overheats after driving more than a few on a track. Great for street and drag strips but well suited for track. As someone noted above the taillights were changed on the later Camaros and that by itself was not my deciding factor but rather the sum of all the issues I had while driving was too much. Of course the dealers add on for "rare cars" did not help. Will I ever get a C7, I don't see it and my c5 convertible, C6 Grandsport and C6Z are all a pleasure to drive. I can easily afford the car of my choice but it is my choice and not what anyone else thinks I should drive. If I recall Basket Robin makes 31 flavors for a reason.
  • I can honestly say that you're the first person I can recall who's dissed the C7 over the "heater controls".
  • Regarding the two-position mode selector on the C5 and C6, all it did was select between the two magnetic ride control settings and that was only on cars with magnetic ride control. The C7's adjustment ring selects from five different driving modes and each mode includes settings for up to 12 different parameters. Of course it's not as simple as the C5 and C6 controls.
  • Basket Robin? Seriously?
Old 03-25-2015, 03:18 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Right on! That would be great!

Originally Posted by RichKiss
I will love a C7 when they make body panels to make it look like a C6
Right on! That would be great!

Chuck CoW
Old 03-25-2015, 03:41 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Not sure why that was laughable...but ok. You diehard C6 guys have a few loose screws.

Quick Reply: C6 vs. C7