C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PAYPAL story

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 12:48 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Glad everything worked out for you bud. You should post his cell number up so we can all prank him and make his life hell.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:09 PM
rmarks
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a large commercial eBay seller (Tennis Equipment under name of Just Tennis)
and I LOVE PayPal.

- If PayPal says the transaction is confirmed and I ship to that address with
signature, PayPal will guarantee the transaction.

- Buyer does not have to be a PayPal member, they will directly take credit cards.

- As a buyer I know that PayPal only gives my name and address to the seller.
The seller does not even know the "last 4 of my credit card number". When
you buy something from an unknown web site, how do you know they are
not going to take your credit card number and go buy a new C7? If this
unknown site takes PayPal, you know your information is secure.

- We sell a lot internationally, PayPal accepts payment from more countries,
with guarantees, than any other credit card clearing service.

And on this wheel rip off transaction, you have not seen the other side of it.
maybe this scum bags credit card refund was denied due to signed delivery.

Last edited by rmarks; 07-26-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:22 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,006 Likes on 1,025 Posts

I too deal with this scenario daily as an online merchant. Most buyers have no clue how much credit card fraud happens and some get furious with us when we advise that we only ship to the billing address of their credit/debit card. As the op pointed out, the seller is only covered if they ship to the confirmed address of the cardholder. As we tell our buyers, if you need to have an item shipped to an alternate address, simply add that address to your credit/debit card account with your card issuer. It's simply not worth the risk to do it otherwise.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:33 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 1BDRSK
So as long as it's a 'confirmed' address with Paypal, you'll be covered, provided the other rules are followed as well?
You should do signature required too, and you should be covered. You can read the whole list on their terms to be covered.
Here is the link describing
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mp...ion-learn-more
Old 07-26-2013, 01:49 PM
nspendleton
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my google, eBay, iTunes and Paypal account hacked about 2 years ago. Some guy in Colorado was buying DSLR cameras, Macbook Pros, and hosting website domains using my name and address.

It all started when I got a FedEx note on my door. I knew I didn't order anything, so I looked up the tracking number, got in touch with FedEx. They said it originated from XYZ Corp in Maryland. Turns out there is no corporation in Maryland. About that same time I started to realize that I wasn't getting any emails. Turns out the guy was forwarding all my emails to his account, using other peoples credit cards, and trying to have things shipped to my house. I got the law involved just because I wasn't exactly sure if I should accept the packages or not and was told to just refuse them and tell FedEx to ship to sender.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
...they debited my account the $2k, so I showed a negative balance...
Wow...I didn't even know it was possible to have a negative PayPal balance!
Old 07-26-2013, 05:15 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,558 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Several years ago someone hacked into a dormant EBay account of mine (100% positive feedback over a couple hundred transactions) and used my account to "sell" over $8,000.00 worth of stereo equipment to several buyers, which of course never showed up. Long story short, myself and the buyers got together and ultimately tracked the dirt bag to an apartment in Federal Way, Washington. We called both the local police and the Secret Service and nothing was done, the criminal was never even picked up for questioning. He basically got away with several thefts equaling over $8,000.00 using my good name and reputation. Sometimes there is no justice....
Old 07-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by nspendleton
I had my google, eBay, iTunes and Paypal account hacked about 2 years ago. Some guy in Colorado was buying DSLR cameras, Macbook Pros, and hosting website domains using my name and address.

It all started when I got a FedEx note on my door. I knew I didn't order anything, so I looked up the tracking number, got in touch with FedEx. They said it originated from XYZ Corp in Maryland. Turns out there is no corporation in Maryland. About that same time I started to realize that I wasn't getting any emails. Turns out the guy was forwarding all my emails to his account, using other peoples credit cards, and trying to have things shipped to my house. I got the law involved just because I wasn't exactly sure if I should accept the packages or not and was told to just refuse them and tell FedEx to ship to sender.
Did they nail the guy?
Old 07-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
So, I sold my CCW wheels to a guy in CA on Ebay. We had a few emails back and forth, he paid me with paypal. I went to do the shipping label and he gave me a different address than what was on paypal. It was a business address he was wanting me to ship to..
I researched his name, and the address he wanted me to ship it too and it showed that he did have a business at that address, same name as the person on paypal.
Had a couple more emails, guy said he was putting them on a Matt blue Z06 that was his track car, and he was going to powder coat them black.

I was adamant that I would only ship to the address in paypal, and he said that's fine.

Ship the wheels, check the tracking, wheels got delivered. All good... right????

NOT!

2 months later I get an email from Paypal that he did a charge back on his credit card saying it was an unauthorized purchase on his card... this was for $2000

I filled out the appropriate crap on paypal, with UPS proof of delivery etc, and noted that in order for this to happen,
1. The thief had to hack his Ebay account
2. Hack his paypal account
3. Know his business address
4. Hack his email account
5. Steal his cell phone, as I had his cell number from him too

2 days later Paypal put the money back into my paypal account, saying that since I followed paypal's requirements for shipping and selling, I was covered under there guarantee.

So anyway, my reason for this was, that Paypal can be a good way to accept payment when you sell on here, IF you follow their guidelines.

Ebay Member name is qwiksurf
His real name is Mark Knight, he owns a Matt Blue Z06, probably running around on black CCW T-10 wheels.
Or the wheels were stolen before he was able to get them off the porch or where ever they were delivered. He may be cussing you because you didn't ship what you promised.

Bill
Old 07-26-2013, 07:25 PM
croatbob
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I got fuked for 1050 in a similar way but Neva got the money back
Old 07-26-2013, 07:34 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Silverblue
Several years ago someone hacked into a dormant EBay account of mine (100% positive feedback over a couple hundred transactions) and used my account to "sell" over $8,000.00 worth of stereo equipment to several buyers, which of course never showed up. Long story short, myself and the buyers got together and ultimately tracked the dirt bag to an apartment in Federal Way, Washington. We called both the local police and the Secret Service and nothing was done, the criminal was never even picked up for questioning. He basically got away with several thefts equaling over $8,000.00 using my good name and reputation. Sometimes there is no justice....
I had my Visa number stolen by the waiter at a restaurant a couple years ago, on Thursday evening, and Sunday my bank called me to ask about some charges on my account. That was the first I knew about it. He'd run up only about a $300 bill before the number was canceled.

I filed a report with the police in my town and told them I was over 99% certain it had happened at a certain restaurant (because of the dates of the charges, etc.), and even the waiter's name. They never did a darn thing about it. My town is not large ... about 45,000 ... but it's an upscale suburban town, and the police have nothing to do except for kids getting into trouble occasionally, speeding tickets, and other minor things. Yet they did nothing.

On another occasion, the same thing happened in Philadelphia. I called the police there after I was home and found out, and the guy basically laughed at me and said they didn't have time for that sort of thing, that they have a murder a day there. (Turns out I should have called the DA; they later busted a huge ring "headquartered" at the hotel I was staying in while there).

So my experience with police forces in the matter of stolen cards and the like is not very favorable.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

cya
Old 07-26-2013, 09:14 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Or the wheels were stolen before he was able to get them off the porch or where ever they were delivered. He may be cussing you because you didn't ship what you promised.

Bill
Nope, if that was the case he would have filed a complaint to paypal stating non receipt of goods, not that he never authorized the charge. I satisfied paypals criteria for proof of shipping and proof of delivery, otherwise they wouldn't have credited the money back to me.

Last edited by mcandrew67; 07-26-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:17 PM
mile-0
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

It sucks to be a trusting soul. I purchased a rear spoiler from a forum vendor and just didn't like the way it fit, so I ended up with a GM part. Anyway, I advertised the RPI spoiler on here and sold it to forum member vitalveloc__y from Texas for half of retail. I prepaid shipping and had an agreement with the guy that once he saw the part he would send me a check. Ya, I know....because I am a man of my word I trust too much that others will be also. Anyway, never a dime, despite several emails, proof of delivery, etc. I have his address and the next time I travel to Texas I'm gonna go look him up. I told the Jack that if he didn't like just send it back.
It's a machine silver car.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:32 PM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 128 Posts

Used Paypal many many times, never had a problem. I find it very convienent. I have my PayPal account linked to my business address and I have a separate credit card just for those transactions only. I never transfer money or pay out of my bank account. Guess I've been lucky so far.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:11 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

At least he paid $2K for those wheels.

Good lesson to be learned by others David re PayPal.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:21 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by mile-0
It sucks to be a trusting soul. I purchased a rear spoiler from a forum vendor and just didn't like the way it fit, so I ended up with a GM part. Anyway, I advertised the RPI spoiler on here and sold it to forum member vitalveloc__y from Texas for half of retail. I prepaid shipping and had an agreement with the guy that once he saw the part he would send me a check. Ya, I know....because I am a man of my word I trust too much that others will be also. Anyway, never a dime, despite several emails, proof of delivery, etc. I have his address and the next time I travel to Texas I'm gonna go look him up. I told the Jack that if he didn't like just send it back.
backup?

Get notified of new replies

To PAYPAL story

Old 07-27-2013, 12:44 AM
Caeruleus Diabolus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I ever sell anything online I'm going to require a certified USPS money order sent to me. Otherwise, no deal. Not risking this paypal garbage or any other kind of scam that's going around...
Old 07-27-2013, 06:34 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by csf
Used Paypal many many times, never had a problem. I find it very convienent. I have my PayPal account linked to my business address and I have a separate credit card just for those transactions only. I never transfer money or pay out of my bank account. Guess I've been lucky so far.
I use it a lot and rarely have an issue, I had to dispute with a buyer once, I bought 5 remotes and only got one. Paypal told me to send the one remote back and they would refund my money, so I sent it back with tracking and signature required and they refunded me.
Originally Posted by AORoads
At least he paid $2K for those wheels.

Good lesson to be learned by others David re PayPal.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:04 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Originally Posted by mile-0
They are out there for sure. We're dealing with a dishonest CF member who won a claim through Paypal somehow and still has our parts.

We've won a couple of claims when products weren't sent.

Quick Reply: PAYPAL story