C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run flats confusion.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 03:02 AM
Chuckscorvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run flats confusion.

I'm a little confused. When members say they carry and use slime to fix their flat, are they referring to run flats or regular tires? Should u use slime with a run flat tire?
Old 07-28-2013, 03:04 AM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

They are referring to regular tires 99% of the time. The primary purpose of the slime is pretty much the purpose of the run flat --to allow you to drive to a repair facility.

Last edited by CaryBob; 07-28-2013 at 03:08 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:15 AM
Chuckscorvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks
Old 07-28-2013, 07:45 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Run flats do just that,run when flat. No need for Slime.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:13 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by Chuckscorvette
I'm a little confused. When members say they carry and use slime to fix their flat, are they referring to run flats or regular tires? Should u use slime with a run flat tire?
but the slime can damage the TPMS
Old 07-28-2013, 12:23 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

I only use Slime in my riding mower and wheelbarrow tires and wouldn't use it on my car or motorcycle, especially one with TPMS. If needed and if the puncture is in a favorable spot on the tire I'll plug the tire on the spot and pump it back up with the small 12V compressor that I keep in both vehicles. That method has worked well for decades with non-RF tires and RF's shouldn't be any different.

Last edited by iclick; 07-28-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

I carry a plug kit and compressor to temporarily repair punctures on my run flats. Run flats will allow you to keep driving at a limited speed and distance without stopping. However, I prefer to plug and go and have a proper plug/patch repair when convenient. Once plugged, I can drive normally without worrying about damage to my tire or rim. I do not use slime, even though some claim no harm on TPMS.

Some may think this is overkill with runflats, but having a flat 400 miles away from home in the middle of nowhere will change your mind. It has happened to me on a ride home from vacation which was only delayed 15 min. for a plug repair!
Old 07-28-2013, 01:31 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
I carry a plug kit and compressor to temporarily repair punctures on my run flats. Run flats will allow you to keep driving at a limited speed and distance without stopping. However, I prefer to plug and go and have a proper plug/patch repair when convenient. Once plugged, I can drive normally without worrying about damage to my tire or rim. I do not use slime, even though some claim no harm on TPMS.

Some may think this is overkill with runflats, but having a flat 400 miles away from home in the middle of nowhere will change your mind. It has happened to me on a ride home from vacation which was only delayed 15 min. for a plug repair!
Good policy, but I would think that many times the puncture would be very hard to find, and would follow Murphy's Law ... in the most inaccessible spot. Sometimes they have trouble finding a puncture in the tire shop. With runflats, they wouldn't "sit down", but with non-runflats they'd drop the car to the point where no jack would fit under the car to lift. I have a compressor, but also have AAA Plus, a cell phone, and in the case of no cell signal, I have OnStar.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:23 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

I drive with run flats, but still carry a can of slime with me. My thought is if I do get a "flat", and its late on a Saturday evening, and i have 300-400 miles to go, not knowing when or where I will find a tire center that can deal with rft's, I see it as insurance.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:57 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I have FS WO RFs, but on long trips I'll carry a flat repair kit in case I'm in the middle of Montana or Utah and don't want to drive another hundred miles to find a tire. I'll repair it myself and drive it with no worries. I also would never use a liquid tire repair solution as I doubt they work nearly as well as they're advertised (and) whomever removes that tire will be really pissed when they discover slime inside the tire.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Red08
I drive with run flats, but still carry a can of slime with me. My thought is if I do get a "flat", and its late on a Saturday evening, and i have 300-400 miles to go, not knowing when or where I will find a tire center that can deal with rft's, I see it as insurance.
The GY and Michelin run flats are still repairable if driven no more than 50 miles at speeds less than or equal to 55 mph with no air pressure in them. If you can do something (slime/temporary plug) to keep air pressure in them you can drive further and faster than that before getting the tire repaired. If you don't keep air pressure in them you can still drive further than 50 miles but the tire won't be repairable no matter how good it looks on the outside. If I had to drive more than 50 miles without air pressure in a run flat I would get out and check it every so often after the 50 miles to make sure it wasn't getting too hot.

Bill
Old 07-28-2013, 07:56 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3

Very good idea even with run flats due to their limited range with zero pressure. Some manufacturers say if you run with 15PSI or less the tire is not repairable also which means you are waiting for a tire.

Slime is safe for TPMS. Camaro's come with it so you can even buy the GM slime if you are nervous. Look at it this way, would you rather use slime in the middle of no where and MAYBE have to replace a TPMS which costs under $100 or park your Corvette within 50 miles and the added expenses of days waiting for a tire. I can tell you that a lot of mechanics in the middle of no where (if they are open) will not even attempt to remove a run flat and I'm guessing most C6 owners will not want them to learn on their rims. I asked the only Tire Repair place if they fixed run flats (I had a flat on my Yukon) and he said no way. He won't even remove the run flat tire so the owner's only option would be a tow around 70 miles away.

Get notified of new replies

To Run flats confusion.

Quick Reply: Run flats confusion.