C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 05:15 PM
edosan1210
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tires

I have a 2006 just replaced rear tires with run goodyear run flats, then my harmonic balencer went bad, want new front tires. Do I have to have same type of tires ond front and rear? Or can I get some chesaper NON run flats for front??
Old 07-28-2013, 05:43 PM
noz34me
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can do whatever you want. It's your car. Non run flats can possibly leave you stranded if you get a flat, but it's been a long time since I had a flat on the road.

Someone said the run flats give you more mpg because the sidewalls are stiffer.

When I have to replace my tires, I'm going with the Michelin all season run flats; they're a higher mileage tire. That's my knock on the Goodyears; 15K and they're borderline.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:48 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Some will tell you not to mix tire types and brands, but you can. You may find that with two different brands and types, the handling will not be the same.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:20 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

As said, you can do what you want since it's your car. But as also said, when do you think you really need your tires---when you are coasting to a stop at a light, or when you are highway driving and someone cuts you off into the jersey wall next to you? It's your decision, and here's an article from tirerack. Notice the first paragraph.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=136
Old 07-28-2013, 06:27 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

mixing brand designations is a bad idea on any vehicle, but on a performance car, its a super bad idea. The different casing constructions and tread patterns can play a role in an unpleasant emergency situation...and just a plain role in overall performance.......dont forget ABS systems in todays vehicles are super fine tuned.. they dont like the mix either.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:48 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Listen to Wolfdogs! I would just go with a set of Non Run Flats. Here has been my experience with tires on the C6 cars I have owned.

08 Coupe - OEM non supercar GY tires, lasted around 26k front, terrible howl. Replaced them with Michelin Sport A/S ZP - Gas mileage decreased 10%, grip dropped a bunch in the summer. I had the non RF version of same tire installed on my 07 Impala SS and it did improve that car (Replaced even crappier RSAs).

11 GS Vert - OEM GY Supercars gone at 11k, replaced with Non RF Michelin Super Sports, traded car in with 5k on the tires (they were down to about 8.5-9 / 32ds of tread. Gas mileage increased (which makes sense since the tires are 2-3 lbs lighter each, big for unsprung weight).

13GS Coupe - Part of the deal was that I get my Super Sports from my 11 GS Vert. Drove about 400 miles with the Goodyears (I had to pick up the car 350 miles away). Noticed a big improvement after I replaced the like new GY with the used Super Sports. I have 11k on the tires now and they still have above 7.5 / 32ds all around.

Get notified of new replies

To tires

Quick Reply: tires