C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ugraded to 2013 60th Anniversary Seats and added Seat Heaters to my 1LT

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 10:38 PM
Aceman
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Ugraded to 2013 60th Anniversary Seats and added Seat Heaters to my 1LT

Just finished upgrading my 13’s 1LT ebony seats to these, and added heated seats while I was at it:

I purchased my NRB GS 1LT Couple last fall, going from a 2008 3LT couple to a 1LT GS. I didn’t think I’d miss HUD, Nav,
and heated seats, but quickly realized my kids missed the heated seats out here in the NE. The 60th Anniversary seats always
caught my eye, so after reading ncvette’s thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...s-of-pics.html

I decided to upgrade the 1LT seats on my 2013 to the 60th Anniversary seats. I contacted Kevin at Partstaxi, and
ordered up the new covers, and a few weeks later they were in my garage just waiting for installation. I just want
to add here while I’m talking about PartsTaxi, the customer service from Kevin & Parts Taxi is is second to none – I’ve
used other guys on this forum over the years, but will never use anyone else for my gm parts moving forward.

So continuing on, I decided while the covers were off, I would look into adding heated seats. After doing a little
research, I bought a pair of carbon fiber seat heater pads off ebay, for all of $ 40.00 for a pair of seats.

These are the seat heater kits I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Round-switch-seat-heater-2-seats-heated-seat-kit-fit-12V-cars-auto-truck-/130835347889?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7664f9b1&vxp=mtr
I won’t go into the details of removing/replacing the covers (ncvette did a great job on his thread). I will add a few comments –
(1) Don’t take the covers off w/o buying the black plastic retainers – you will ruin the ones you take off.
(2) Lay the seat on its back to get the outer seat back fastened securely – lots of stretching involved.
(3) Don’t sweat w/ removing the hog rings and replacing them w/ cable ties – they both do the same thing.

When you have the covers off, install the pads. You will have to place them on the foam pads like this:

Once you have the heating pads centered, mark where the listing (Velcro) for the seats are, and cut quarter sized holes
for each listing. I did three holes per horizontal listing. Notice the carbon fiber wires form a honeycomb pattern – so the
heat will travel around the holes via the wires. Here is a pic of the pad w/ the holes cut:

At this point, work in reverse and put the seat covers back on. For my install it was easy since I was replacing my 13’ covers
with different 13 covers, so everything matched (holes/patterns/etc.). Next step was to wire the seat heaters. All that’s
needed is power, but it should be only live with the ignition on. There in lies the problem (finding a 10 Amp switched power
source capable of handling the draw of the seats). I ended up installing a relay under the seat to do this. I got the relay
from Pepboys, pic of the relay and how to wire it:

I figured out the power for the OEM heated seats was already in the harness under the seat (but the power was always
on since the BCM controls everything) thanks to Ray Kawal’s site:

www.kawal.net/power seats.htm

So ground and +12V were already under the seat. I ran a fuse tapped wire from the Seat heater/Wiper Relay fuse to the new
relay which I located under the seat, and I was all set.

Last part was installing the switches. Yes – they’re not factory, but I put them in the factory spots anyway, figuring if I
didn’t like them, I could always pickup another ashtray and move the switches.

Here’s the finished console pic:

They actually don’t look too bad IMO, I’m going to live w/ them for a while and see how I like them.
I know there were more than a few posts asking about adding heated seats, hopefully this will help.

Aceman
Old 07-27-2013, 10:45 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Very nice and !!! And the seats look good.

Saving thread for the heater info.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:48 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Looks great. Nice write up.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:54 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Great job! Very inventive on the heater for the seats.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:16 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

The seats look really good... I like the blue color.

Great Job!
Old 07-28-2013, 02:21 AM
Z_Monzter
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job! The seats look very nice!
Old 07-28-2013, 03:07 AM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Great Job! Now unfortunately you're going to have to go with some blue stitching, blue ebrake boot, blue shift boot, etc., etc. It never really ends, does it?
Old 07-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Aceman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kingspoke
Great Job! Now unfortunately you're going to have to go with some blue stitching, blue ebrake boot, blue shift boot, etc., etc. It never really ends, does it?

Thanks - i was kicking around the center armrest, but i think all ebony w/ just blue seats accents the interior well enough. I'd be lying if i told you I hadn't asked kevin @ partstaxi about the parts yet

Aceman
Old 07-28-2013, 08:49 AM
73firebird
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great Job
Old 07-28-2013, 09:42 AM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Wow, nice job and looks great. Which seat covers did you replace with, the 1LT to 1LT or 1LT to 3LT? The 1LT seats are two pieces, but the 3LT seats are four pieces. Did you swap out the foam pads too?
Old 07-28-2013, 10:32 AM
ButWhatDoIKnow
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

LOOKS GREAT!

Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks awesome!
Old 07-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Aceman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SilverScorp
Wow, nice job and looks great. Which seat covers did you replace with, the 1LT to 1LT or 1LT to 3LT? The 1LT seats are two pieces, but the 3LT seats are four pieces. Did you swap out the foam pads too?
Actually - on the 13's, 1LT are 3pcs as are the 3LT's as are the 60th anniversary. There's the seat bottom, the outer back, and the center back insert.

Since mine was a 2013, replacing w/ 2013 covers was a straight swap, no foam needed - its the same foam as far as i know for 1LT and 3LT and 60th anniversary.

Aceman
Old 07-28-2013, 12:27 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by jr3
The seats look really good... I like the blue color.

Great Job!
Nice looking new seats, goes great with your exterior color

Get notified of new replies

To Ugraded to 2013 60th Anniversary Seats and added Seat Heaters to my 1LT

Quick Reply: Ugraded to 2013 60th Anniversary Seats and added Seat Heaters to my 1LT