C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 C6...with 94k miles.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 02:41 PM
FastVette85
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 C6...with 94k miles.

Hey guys, I found an 07 C6 for sale with 94k miles. Machine silver, 6 speed, 3LT with Z51 suspension, Nav, chrome wheels, etc. It's nice looking, and the price isn't bad either ($23.5k). I just wonder what the odds are of the harmonic balancer being replaced yet, at this mileage I would ASSUME it has been done, but who knows. I would hate to buy the car and run into that expense right off the bat. What do you guys think?
Old 07-28-2013, 05:47 PM
FastVette85
Instructor

Anyone? Bueller?
Old 07-28-2013, 05:54 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

97K is a few miles, but if the car has been maintained it is mostly good for another 100K. As far as the Harmonic balancer, I really cannot answer that. Although it appears to be a common problem, I have no idea if it happens to ever C6 on the road. Is this a private seller or dealer. You maybe able to have a Chevy dealer run the VIN to see if their database has any record of a replacement.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:04 PM
FastVette85
Instructor

Originally Posted by BWF07
97K is a few miles, but if the car has been maintained it is mostly good for another 100K. As far as the Harmonic balancer, I really cannot answer that. Although it appears to be a common problem, I have no idea if it happens to ever C6 on the road. Is this a private seller or dealer. You maybe able to have a Chevy dealer run the VIN to see if their database has any record of a replacement.
It is at a dealer, appears to be a very clean car, one owner, never in an accident. According to Carfax records, the harmonic balancer hasn't been replaced, but it may have been done privately which would explain the lack of a record of it. The airbag light appears to be on as well, from what I can see in the photos. I will call the dealer tomorrow and ask some questions.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:07 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

The Harmonic balancer is not something that's gone bad on every Vette out there...so maybe it hasn't been done because it never went bad.If you choose to buy such a high mileage car,ask the dealer to replace it as a condition of purchase....or buy a car under warranty.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:32 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Too many miles on it for me, no warranty who knows what could go wrong with it. I would prefer something with less mileage in the same price range.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:34 PM
FastVette85
Instructor

Originally Posted by dvilin
Too many miles on it for me, no warranty who knows what could go wrong with it. I would prefer something with less mileage in the same price range.
I agree that would be the way to go, but unfortunately ( in my region anyway) pretty much anything under $25k has at least 70k miles. And most of those are not optioned the way this car is.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:35 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The check air bag light is a common problem and is usually caused by defective connectors under the seat. When they move the wire and the light goes off make sure they give you a long warranty on the air bag light. This has been a problem with some C6's since they were introduced in late 2004 and GM refuses to do anything about it. We all need to file a complaint with the NHTSA and have them force GM to take care of this serious problem.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:37 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

96,000/ 6 = 16K a year. If it were nice cruising highway miles, no big deal. Not being able to tell, I'd get a REALLY good price for it or walk and get one a little more reasonable in miles.

Elmer
Old 07-28-2013, 08:27 PM
Rky Mtn C6
Le Mans Master

Received 890 Likes on 375 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C7 of the Year Finalist -- Modified

Originally Posted by FastVette85
It is at a dealer, appears to be a very clean car, one owner, never in an accident. According to Carfax records,
Don't trust carfax. I know a guy who bought an 07 with 10K miles on it with a clean carfax report. Found out later the entire front end had been replaced due to an accident. Pay the money and run an Autocheck on the car. You may be surprised.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Jimmy52
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FastVette85
Hey guys, I found an 07 C6 for sale with 94k miles. Machine silver, 6 speed, 3LT with Z51 suspension, Nav, chrome wheels, etc. It's nice looking, and the price isn't bad either ($23.5k). I just wonder what the odds are of the harmonic balancer being replaced yet, at this mileage I would ASSUME it has been done, but who knows. I would hate to buy the car and run into that expense right off the bat. What do you guys think?

Did you drive the car? You can visually check the harmonic balancer pulley and see for yourself with the motor running. If it wobbles or chirps a lot, then it is most likely going. I brought this point up in a similar thread the other day. there was some video provided as well. Check it out. As for the price, is there any movement on it? Dealers love to play this "well that's what it cost us to buy it bullsh&&" comment all the time. How receptive are they? I'm guessing the car is local too. 94k isn't a lot of miles but more importantly I'd like to know how the car had been maintained before dropping 23K for it.
And if you don't already know a harmonic balancer job is app $1000 to get done at a dealer (give or take)
Old 07-28-2013, 09:15 PM
FastVette85
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jimmy52
Did you drive the car? You can visually check the harmonic balancer pulley and see for yourself with the motor running. If it wobbles or chirps a lot, then it is most likely going. I brought this point up in a similar thread the other day. there was some video provided as well. Check it out. As for the price, is there any movement on it? Dealers love to play this "well that's what it cost us to buy it bullsh&&" comment all the time. How receptive are they? I'm guessing the car is local too. 94k isn't a lot of miles but more importantly I'd like to know how the car had been maintained before dropping 23K for it.
And if you don't already know a harmonic balancer job is app $1000 to get done at a dealer (give or take)

I haven't seen the car yet, it is roughly 125 miles from me so I wanted to get your opinions first. I've seen the videos on the harmonic balancer going bad, so I will know what to look for. Not sure how much room they have on the price, I guess I can get an idea of that tomorrow when I call. I will have to give up my 2009 vehicle with 25k miles to get into this, but if it checks out well, I think it will be worth it.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:17 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It's also an under $200 job to get done privately by someone who knows how to do it quickly.

I had mine done for $150
Old 07-29-2013, 02:43 PM
Jimmy52
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
It's also an under $200 job to get done privately by someone who knows how to do it quickly.

I had mine done for $150

He must be one hell of a friend. I wouldn't find that kind of deal here in SW Florida. Then again, I don't really know any mechanics here either so, either way I'd be screwed if it went bad.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:51 PM
MTsVette
Drifting

Location: O'Fallon Illinois - Currently own a 2016 Z06 1LZ A8 Coupe
Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Had my balancer replaced a few months back...$748.000 at dealer (with my Corvette club membership discount).

MT
Old 07-29-2013, 03:22 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I had a 2003 C5 with 114,000 miles and never replaced the harmonic balancer. The only major engine component I had to replace was the water pump.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:01 PM
montereyredvette
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 61 Posts

Check out EBay.........lots of cars with less miles can be had for 25-30,000
Old 07-30-2013, 08:46 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

He must be one hell of a friend. I wouldn't find that kind of deal here in SW Florida. Then again, I don't really know any mechanics here either so, either way I'd be screwed if it went bad.
It was a performance shop, not a friend. If you know how to do it without removing the rack it's not that big of an issue...just push the rack out of the way, swap it and you're good.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:08 AM
dcarter0001
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rky Mtn C6
Don't trust carfax. I know a guy who bought an 07 with 10K miles on it with a clean carfax report. Found out later the entire front end had been replaced due to an accident. Pay the money and run an Autocheck on the car. You may be surprised.
Why is Autocheck any better than Carfax? I have never used Autocheck but I don't like their Website that says get your free report now but when you click it says it's $29.95.

Get notified of new replies

To 2007 C6...with 94k miles.

Quick Reply: 2007 C6...with 94k miles.