C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 touring record?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 09:11 AM
RAW1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 touring record?

I hadn't thought about it until I noticed someone saying that he had visited 20 states in his C6. At last count my wife and I have visited 36 states and 3 Canadian provinces in our '08 Atomic Orange coupe. We like to do triangles from our home in FL, visiting some state parks and all of the national parks along the way: 2 trips to Maine, one returning down the East Coast, one crossing Canada to Sault St Marie, MI and back; one to Glacier National Park, north to "head-smashed-in buffalo jump", south to Cloudcroft, NM and home; and one to Colo Springs, south to Cloudcroft and home. Along the way, we have cruised the full lengths of both the Natchez Trace and Blue Ridge Pkwys.
The '08 is probably the final in my string of 8 vettes starting with my new '69 Fathom Green coupe, and including a couple of C2's, four C3's and a C4 - wish that I had kept them all.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:05 AM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

This is a good thread topic

Our Vette is driven and we enjoy it. It has low miles, but not by design (2005/35K miles). In the past two years we have put 15K miles on it.

We have taken it from GA to Smokey Mtns several times and driven the Dragon, Blue Ridge Pkwy, Harrahs Cherokee and Biltmore.

Several trips from GA to Fl. Pensacola and Destin/Ft Walton Bch.

Took it one time GA to Norfolk, Va to visit friends.

Lots of local drives down country roads in GA and AL.

Each mile equals a smile
Old 04-07-2013, 03:49 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

We've been in 47 (missed Vermont) of the lower 48 states with our '08. Current mileage is 107K with about 45K of that on trips of over 2500 miles. Although we've been through the Capital cities of each, we missed photographing the Capital building of 7. We've also toured the building in 18. It's our little fun thing that adds local history to road trips.

Due to some health problems and other issues, we haven't taken a trip over 1000 miles last year and won't again this year. But plans for several in 2014 are already in the works.

As much as reasonably possible, we stay off Interstates so we can experience more of the real world. There are some real gems we accidently found off the beaten path.

Three tips to offer to road warriors.
1. Stop at the visitor's center of each State for valuable local information and free maps.
2. Get the Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives books by Guy Fieri. Always interesting places and never bad food.
3. McDonald's has the cleanest restrooms.

I hope everyone enjoys their road trips this year.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:43 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I normally tour on one of my motorcycles (been thru eleven states) but this year, in late September I may take the vert to the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley. Looking forward to it!
Old 04-07-2013, 05:17 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

my 07 has been to 9 Canadian provinces, 1 Canadian territory and 16 US states - would have done way more if I didn't have 3 kids
Old 04-07-2013, 05:38 PM
RAW1
Instructor

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
We've been in 47 (missed Vermont) of the lower 48 states with our '08. Current mileage is 107K with about 45K of that on trips of over 2500 miles. Although we've been through the Capital cities of each, we missed photographing the Capital building of 7. We've also toured the building in 18. It's our little fun thing that adds local history to road trips.

Due to some health problems and other issues, we haven't taken a trip over 1000 miles last year and won't again this year. But plans for several in 2014 are already in the works.

As much as reasonably possible, we stay off Interstates so we can experience more of the real world. There are some real gems we accidently found off the beaten path.

1. Stop at the visitor's center of each State for valuable local information and free maps.
2. Get the Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives books by Guy Fieri. Always interesting places and never bad food.

I think that we have a winner!! Good tips. Ours is only at 55K with well over half on road trips - a couple over 5K miles each. We avoid the interstates when feasible, too. There is nothing like a deserted stretch of freshly paved two lane blacktop. We laugh at some of the gems that we have either visited or passed along the way. We always chuckle at recalling passing by both the "Authentic Grave of Billy the Kid" and the "REAL Authentic Grave of Billy the Kid"! We are working on another alternate route to the Rockies again in July after a quickie to Cumberland and Amelia Islands later this month. I guess that we both must have watched too many episodes of "Route 66".
Old 04-07-2013, 05:39 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

My last long trip was in the fall of 2011, it was 5 weeks 10,360 miles and 23 states. I left CA and went to GA for the Petit LeMans Race. Then up to IN to visit friends and relatives. Then to Eureka Springs AR fot the Eureka Springs Corvette Weekend. Then up to Bowling Green to meet friends, one of which was picking up a Centennial Edition Grand Sport. Then the trip began. We left Bowling Green and headed to PA to tour Gettysburg, then up to NY, VT, NH, MA. Saw Ben and Jerry's original factory and the flavor graveyard. Heading back down thru NY we were in a real downpour and the guy with the new GS hit a rock in the road and bent his right front wheel. Had a new one overnighted and we were on our way the next day. Back down thru PA, WVA, VA, TN and headed back to CA.

Great trip

States I have not been to in the Corvette (yet):
North Dakota
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Michigan
Maine
New Jersey
Delaware
Maryland

Last edited by 50 4Ever; 04-07-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:13 PM
buzzkill_75
Advanced

drove through six two weeks ago when i brought it home.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:51 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We drove our '12 GS coupe from Madison, WI to Seattle when we purchased... so hit WI, IL, MO, OK, TX, NM, AZ, NV, CA, OR, and WA!!! That's 11 states just getting her home!! We actually missed entering Kansas, by less than 900 feet!!

We are headed to Utah next month (May), then Banff, Alberta in August, and down to Crater Lake in Oct!!!

We bought it to use as a "road trip" car!!

Old 04-07-2013, 10:56 PM
C6z06man
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow I'm way behind. Better get driving!!
Old 04-08-2013, 04:58 PM
MikeBravo56
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by C6z06man
Wow I'm way behind. Better get driving!!
Me too
Old 04-08-2013, 05:05 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

In less than three months of ownership I have just over 10,000 miles.
I have seen NC, TN, VA, SC, GA, KY, AL...

None of it was touring, all business... .55 per mile, baby!
Old 04-10-2013, 12:58 PM
RAW1
Instructor

Originally Posted by MakoShark72
We drove our '12 GS coupe from Madison, WI to Seattle when we purchased... so hit WI, IL, MO, OK, TX, NM, AZ, NV, CA, OR, and WA!!! That's 11 states just getting her home!! We actually missed entering Kansas, by less than 900 feet!!

We are headed to Utah next month (May), then Banff, Alberta in August, and down to Crater Lake in Oct!!!

We bought it to use as a "road trip" car!!

Us, too - bought the 08 after turning 170K on the 94. You might enjoy
http://history.alberta.ca/headsmashedin/ on your way to Banff.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Traded my '91 in on the '12 on 07-27. 12 states as far west as Az. and south to Tn. 11800mi. so far. Daughter #1 now lives near Denver, so it's a great destination/stopping off point for this flatlander. Here's a pic. from last week on Boulder Canyon rd.
Attached Images  
Old 07-31-2013, 10:45 AM
RAW1
Instructor

Originally Posted by RAW1
I hadn't thought about it until I noticed someone saying that he had visited 20 states in his C6. At last count my wife and I have visited 36 states and 3 Canadian provinces in our '08 Atomic Orange coupe. We like to do triangles from our home in FL, visiting some state parks and all of the national parks along the way: 2 trips to Maine, one returning down the East Coast, one crossing Canada to Sault St Marie, MI and back; one to Glacier National Park, north to "head-smashed-in buffalo jump", south to Cloudcroft, NM and home; and one to Colo Springs, south to Cloudcroft and home. Along the way, we have cruised the full lengths of both the Natchez Trace and Blue Ridge Pkwys.
The '08 is probably the final in my string of 8 vettes starting with my new '69 Fathom Green coupe, and including a couple of C2's, four C3's and a C4 - wish that I had kept them all.
Just returned from a "figure 8" trip to Colo and NM. Returned through OK and ARK so up my total to 38 states!
Old 07-31-2013, 06:21 PM
2kvetmy
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

we've done Route 66 from Joplin
Niagra Falls and Halifax NS
Yellowstone and Badlands
completely around Florida

and, in less then 2 weeks, Michigan, into Canada, back into North Dakota

we, too, take pics at all the state and Canadian capitals

5000 miles in 10 days
Old 07-31-2013, 06:29 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
.55 per mile, baby!
and that too tax free!

Get notified of new replies

To C6 touring record?

Old 07-31-2013, 07:15 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

My wife retired in 2011, and I retired in 2012, so this is when we decided that touring in the vette for 1 long trip a year, and many smaller ones during the summer months would be a fun thing to do.
We travel to 1 or 2 PGA golf tournament each year, and prior to 2011, we used to fly and rent a vehicle. Now we take the vette.
We have travelled to the following US States to date:
Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachussetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.
Next years long road trip will tick off a few more states.
We also travel and have visited most of the Canadian Provinces east of Manitoba.
Here are some of the places we have travelled in the vette. I post the pics in albums in my profile and threads to some of those trips as well.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-31-2013, 08:09 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

30 states in the C6, plus a few more in the C2 and C5.

Gotta get going to catch up with HOXXOH and some of the others.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:01 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH

You are my road trip hero
Road trips become an addiction in a vette once you start doing them

Quick Reply: C6 touring record?