C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shopping for a C6, would like some input

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 08:02 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Default Shopping for a C6, would like some input

Hi guys,

I'm normally in the C5 section, but over the past month or so I've been looking at getting into a C6. I've read up on some of the "quarks" that come with a C6 but definitely do no know all of them. Like the C5 sometimes these things are what they are, (IE: C5 CLB issue)

I'm not opposed to buying a lower mileage 2005 vs a higher mile 2007, but my question is this...looking from 2005 all the way up to a higher mile 2008 what would be the better buy? Is the 2008 really much better than 05 to 07? Any other little anomalies I should be looking with these cars? Thanks for any input

Here is a pick of my current ride:

Old 08-13-2013, 08:20 AM
heli-vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people avoid the 05 for first year /body style issues . The M6 version has some minor
Issues with steering column locks and batteries going dead if don't understand the system . But the auto trans 05 are less problematic . My 05 M6 works fine .
A lot of the issues depend if you are a wrench twister or you have a towing company on speed dial .

Some say buy the best newest you can afford . The hardest thing is finding a color - interior and transmission combo you want . Best of luck .

Last edited by heli-vette; 08-13-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:21 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

'08 or 09 would be the better buy IMO depending on the mileage. Bought my '08 (Callaway) new in Aug '08 and it has been essentially flawless and free of the usual vette quirks. The LS3 engine debuted in '08 and most here will agree that it is a better setup. Additionally, the used values in the '08 or '09 are probably at the sweet spot at the moment. As with any used car, try to research the history and previous owner. There are several threads on this forum about the harmonic balancer problems but they seem to be more prevalent on those vettes that have been tracked....good luck!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:35 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(

Originally Posted by heli-vette
Some people avoid the 05 for first year /body style issues . The M6 version has some minor
Issues with steering column locks and batteries going dead if don't understand the system . But the auto trans 05 are less problematic . My 05 M6 works fine .

Some say buy the best newest you can afford . The hardest thing is finding a color - interior and transmission combo you want . Best of luck .
Good to know. I will be looking at a M6 trans. I will research the issues you mentioned. You would figure that by now who ever owned the 05 and 06 would have addressed those issues in their cars.

Originally Posted by beepster
'08 or 09 would be the better buy IMO depending on the mileage. Bought my '08 (Callaway) new in Aug '08 and it has been essentially flawless and free of the usual vette quirks. The LS3 engine debuted in '08 and most here will agree that it is a better setup. Additionally, the used values in the '08 or '09 are probably at the sweet spot at the moment. As with any used car, try to research the history and previous owner. There are several threads on this forum about the harmonic balancer problems but they seem to be more prevalent on those vettes that have been tracked....good luck!
I read something about the harmonic balancers but wasn't clear on what year it was affecting. Realistically price wise my budget is probably in the 05 to 07 range, but I did however see some 08's that had 60 to 70 miles priced accordingly in my range as well. Is the LS3 really that much better then the LS2?
Old 08-13-2013, 08:45 AM
heli-vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Stalion wrote

Good to know. I will be looking at a M6 trans. I will research the issues you mentioned. You would figure that by now who ever owned the 05 and 06 would have addressed those issues in their cars.

I read something about the harmonic balancers but wasn't clear on what year it was affecting. Realistically price wise my budget is probably in the 05 to 07 range, but I did however see some 08's that had 60 to 70 miles priced accordingly in my range as well. Is the LS3 really that much better then the LS2?

#################################

The M6 05 rear end is supposedly weaker for drag applications . The only Vette that needs to be shifted to reverse to shut down the electrical system .

Plenty of low milage 05 cars don't have mods installed for the CLB . I think the LS3 is mechanical better , but only 30 - 40 hp higher at best . You could tune an LS2 and throw an exhaust system on and get close .
Old 08-13-2013, 08:54 AM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Some people avoid the 05 for first year /body style issues.
"Body style" issues??? Please enlighten me.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:59 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

I'm unsure whether the harmonic balancer issues are only in the LS3 or are also found in the LS2 engine....others here will jump in and comment. Having owned both, the HP is the only difference I noticed between the two engines...nothing from a reliability standpoint. The issues I experienced w/ my '07 (LS2) were in the electrical system and not engine related.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:08 AM
heli-vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GuyFromLeMans
"Body style" issues??? Please enlighten me.

I meant " 05 first year of that body style "
Old 08-13-2013, 09:09 AM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I meant " 05 first year of that body style "
Gotcha!
Old 08-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

HB issue is on all years of C6's. There are people here with brand new cars that have had to have them replaced.

The best option is to drive a LS2 vs LS3 car and see if you can live with the differences. 08 had some great improvements. Some here think you can't live without them and others have said you can't hardly tell the difference.

If you have a certain color you're stuck on then that may influence your decision as well For example Lemans Blue is only available on 05-07 cars and Jetstream Blue is only available 08-11.

Also, keep in mind there are some flood cars out there as noted in another thread. So be careful of those too good to be true deals.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:44 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

I'm unsure whether the harmonic balancer issues are only in the LS3 or are also found in the LS2 engine....others here will jump in and comment. Having owned both, the HP is the only difference I noticed between the two engines...nothing from a reliability standpoint. The issues I experienced w/ my '07 (LS2) were in the electrical system and not engine related.
Define electrical issues. Is an anomoly you experienced or is it one of those known issues many experience?

Originally Posted by SmokinZ51
HB issue is on all years of C6's. There are people here with brand new cars that have had to have them replaced.

The best option is to drive a LS2 vs LS3 car and see if you can live with the differences. 08 had some great improvements. Some here think you can't live without them and others have said you can't hardly tell the difference.

If you have a certain color you're stuck on then that may influence your decision as well For example Lemans Blue is only available on 05-07 cars and Jetstream Blue is only available 08-11.

Also, keep in mind there are some flood cars out there as noted in another thread. So be careful of those too good to be true deals.
I drove a 2013 base model last weekend. It was an automatic and felt good I suppose, but nothing to crazy. However I was impressed when I mashed on the gas from a standstill. That being said I have not driven an LS2 to compare it with but assume it will be very, very, similar. More then likely I will mod the car anyways. I'm not the "beat on the car" type but will do spirited driving from time to time.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Hope this helps...

08 adds LS3 and a better manual transmission
09 adds bluetooth
10 adds launch control
11 adds aux input to navigation unit (has it standard on base stereo)
12 some 2lt/3lt options come standard
Old 08-13-2013, 10:06 AM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I have an '05 M6 no issues other than the gas cap replacement. Yes you have to park it in reverse. I would think most of the other issues are taken care of already.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:23 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

The electrical system issues on my '07 were FOB related and memory system. I had a FOB receiver failure on a cruise that resulted in a total shutdown of the whole car resulting in a tow. The FOB receiver was covered under warranty (including tow) but I still suffered the inconvenience of the 3 hr wait for the tow. The dealer told me that this was "not uncommon" but I have not read about any others on this forum....hope this helps
Old 08-13-2013, 10:23 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

I trade my 04 z06 for and 05 and was disappointed in perf. bought 06/07/ finally bought and 08 wow felt like my old 04 z06 I was back bought 2 09's then I bought a new 09 Z06 I'm in heaven now have a 2012 z06. Get the ls3 if you can swing it has improvements other than engine.
z51vett
Old 08-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

You should also review the sticky on the C6 FAQ, it will have lots of good info for you, and should answer most of your questions.

Other stickies on the various C6 forums are helpful too, they will help you better understand the common things with the C6 generation.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:28 AM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

I wouldn't go near an 05 with a 10ft pole.. Go for an 08 or later for the LS3. You have the wide fenders on your C5, maybe you should look into a GS if you can afford it. I went from a 99 to this widebody beast:

Old 08-13-2013, 10:36 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

The electrical system issues on my '07 were FOB related and memory system. I had a FOB receiver failure on a cruise that resulted in a total shutdown of the whole car resulting in a tow. The FOB receiver was covered under warranty (including tow) but I still suffered the inconvenience of the 3 hr wait for the tow. The dealer told me that this was "not uncommon" but I have not read about any others on this forum....hope this helps
Thanks
Originally Posted by z51vett
I trade my 04 z06 for and 05 and was disappointed in perf. bought 06/07/ finally bought and 08 wow felt like my old 04 z06 I was back bought 2 09's then I bought a new 09 Z06 I'm in heaven now have a 2012 z06. Get the ls3 if you can swing it has improvements other than engine.
z51vett
Thanks for your input. I will shoot for an 08 but it will come down to cost.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:41 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Seadawg
You should also review the sticky on the C6 FAQ, it will have lots of good info for you, and should answer most of your questions.

Other stickies on the various C6 forums are helpful too, they will help you better understand the common things with the C6 generation.
I reviewed some threads, but will check out some of the stickies.

Originally Posted by Stingrayrob
I wouldn't go near an 05 with a 10ft pole.. Go for an 08 or later for the LS3. You have the wide fenders on your C5, maybe you should look into a GS if you can afford it. I went from a 99 to this widebody beast:

I looked into a GS but I'm not willing to spend that much. In these parts a clean used one are in the 40, to 50G's range. It's ok though as I plan on on adding the wide body to which ever C6 I get.

Get notified of new replies

To Shopping for a C6, would like some input

Quick Reply: Shopping for a C6, would like some input