C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on removing the rubber/plastic lip under nose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 09:36 AM
Biggie G
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

QUESTION?

does it also help with cooling?
Old 08-22-2013, 09:45 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggie G
QUESTION?

does it also help with cooling?
The middle section helps with cooling for the base car (not widebody). The outer pieces help with directing air to the brakes on all models.

I'd leave them all on and let it scrape...its no big deal. I don't know why everyone gets so worked up over that thing scraping and make a thread about it every week...
Old 08-22-2013, 09:58 AM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

the scraping got on my nerves and the outer ones kept coming apart at the seam and looked like it had been wrecked..so i took them off...cooling pblms? have not noticed any difference in either brake performance or engine coolant temps...
Old 08-22-2013, 10:19 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverScorp
I dont think so. I thought it directed air up across the radiator to help keep it cool.
Grand Sport, Z06 and ZR1 are 100% front feeders as the opening under the nose is closed off. The air dam is there for aerodynamics. It minimizes the amount of air going under the car and hitting the wide front tires. It also helps direct air into the front brake ducts located in front of it.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:28 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

I dont think so. I thought it directed air up across the radiator to help keep it cool.
That is why GM added them,but they don't do much good, as said in car & driver mag.I removed my 2 yrs ago with no change in temp.The end ones are easy to remove,but the center one Not so easy"
Old 08-22-2013, 12:35 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Grand Sport, Z06 and ZR1 are 100% front feeders as the opening under the nose is closed off. The air dam is there for aerodynamics. It minimizes the amount of air going under the car and hitting the wide front tires. It also helps direct air into the front brake ducts located in front of it.

The air dam does not add frontal down force - it helps reduce overall drag for the car by preventing more air from spilling under. However it does help with lift on the rear because there is that much less air traveling under the rear end. This has been tested by katech in a windtunnel, and the information is available online.

If you didnt buy the corvette to drive fast, then the only reason to keep the air dam is to warn you before you take out your bumper or radiator support.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:45 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_r
it's a vette. It draws attention sitting in a parking lot. if someone doesn't want any attention, they should be driving a white camry, not a vette.

^^ fact ^^
Old 08-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

HeY I'm all for letting it scrape

However, this is deforming it to point where it sperates from pin holding it to center piece

It thats ok and it wont tear loose I will let it go and swap out like wiper inserts every
year.

Just want to make sure its secured and can take a beating
Old 08-22-2013, 01:02 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin_NYC

However, this is deforming it to point where it sperates from pin holding it to center piece

It thats ok and it wont tear loose I will let it go and swap out like wiper inserts every
year.

Ive had to replace those stupid tabs numerous times, but the airdam has stayed fine.

I did recently switch to these (available at almost any auto parts store) and they seem to work better:

Old 08-22-2013, 03:03 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

year.

When mine ripped I just put some black silicone adhesive on there to hold it together but still have some movement. It's all attached to the bumper via screws so it will stay on if those pieces are torn or missing. It just makes it look prettier when it's all together like that.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:24 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
It's a Vette. It draws attention sitting in a parking lot. If someone doesn't want any attention, they should be driving a white Camry, not a Vette.
I didnt buy the Vette for the attention it gets. I bought it for the performance of the car and I have wanted a new one for many years.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:26 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
I didnt buy the Vette for the attention it gets. I bought it for the performance of the car and I have wanted a new one for many years.
Suuurrreeee you didn't........
Old 08-22-2013, 03:31 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
Suuurrreeee you didn't........
I didnt. I have had Vettes (used ones) from the time I was 19 to 30. In that time I had a GTO and multiple Camaros. I got more attention from the bright red Z28 that I had.

Say I meet a girl and we are going out on a date and she doesnt know I have a Vette I wont drive it. I take my winter/DD Durango.

My Victory Hammer gets more attention than my Vette anyway.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:43 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

I solved my scraping problems by backing in

Clif
Old 08-22-2013, 05:05 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

it scrapes, it doesn't matter really. but it does need to be there.....all of it. as some have said it helps direct air into the radiator. nobody likes to hear it scrape but its designed this way and I was told from gm engineers at bowling green not to worry its supposed to hit. they want it that low....
Old 08-23-2013, 04:02 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
Ive had to replace those stupid tabs numerous times, but the airdam has stayed fine.

I did recently switch to these (available at almost any auto parts store) and they seem to work better:

Now this is a GREAT idea! Thank you for posting these screw rivets!

Old 08-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

My new driveway has a bump that will not clear the 2.5in clearance of the 3 piece front plastic lip guard. There is a 6-10 inch 45 degree incline and then flat driveway.

I can hear it scraping the lip and distorting it to the point it seperates from the plastic button holding it to other pieces. I have tried coming in at all angles.

What are my options?

-Remove entire plastic lip guard
-Back in?
-do they make a higher lip guard?

Is it a DIY pop off or does dealer have to do it.

Thanks
Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
You can take it off in about 3 minutes. Its not hard at all.

Mine hits too and it sounds just like what yours is doing.

I wouldnt take it off but I am debating on "trimming" it up slightly to see how it does. Be simple to take it off, mark it, cut it, and then smooth the cut surface so its not sharp.
It does direct air into the radiator on the base and Z51 cars plus that is where the brake cooling ducts get their air supply from. Remove the air dam and there is nothing to create a high pressure area under the fascia thus forcing air into the ducts. GS, Z06 and ZR1 have the air inlet blocked off and cooling air comes in through the grille.

You can do all of the things noted above but why do anything. It is supposed to scrape and it is easily replaced when worn and the parts don't cost much. I don't see any reason to trim it since it trims itself. The sides on mine both wore out and I replaced them to keep my brake cooling. Mine scrapes when going over dips on the track at high speed. Turn 2 at the Glen has a little dip just before the turn in point and when I hit it at speeds above 90 mph I get a little Zitt noise.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on removing the rubber/plastic lip under nose?

Old 08-23-2013, 05:07 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Bill
Old 08-23-2013, 05:43 PM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Bill........!!
Old 08-23-2013, 06:02 PM
beaversstonehaven
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by speedraider
remove to 2 sides and leave the middle section
This is what I did on my previous 2006 coupe.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on removing the rubber/plastic lip under nose?