C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M6 Clutch Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 08:52 AM
fast-vette
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default M6 Clutch Issue

I have read several threads that it appears to me that folks are putting the manual in neutral at stop lights. I typically leave it in 1st and use the clutch to hold her back. What is the correct process ?

Feel like a newbie to task this question but after too many years of handling manuals, I'm having a problem with my 427. At a stop it is rare that I have a smooth takeoff in 1st. I'll either stall or she will buck taking off from a stop. What am I doing wrong?...Thanks
Old 08-30-2013, 08:56 AM
theVcar
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by fast-vette
I have read several threads that it appears to me that folks are putting the manual in neutral at stop lights. I typically leave it in 1st and use the clutch to hold her back. What is the correct process ?

Feel like a newbie to task this question but after too many years of handling manuals, I'm having a problem with my 427. At a stop it is rare that I have a smooth takeoff in 1st. I'll either stall or she will buck taking off from a stop. What am I doing wrong?...Thanks
get your ricer back
Old 08-30-2013, 08:56 AM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I put her in neutral when stopped at a light. She may buck a little if I'm on a hill at a light. No problems in first.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:00 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I put it in neutral if the traffic light stop just turned red and I'll be there a bit. If I come up to a light that's already been red for awhile, I use the clutch and first gear. Usually not more than 20 or 30 seconds...... besides, don't want to wear out my left leg

Our 427 is very smooth off the clutch and rolling. Neither my wife, or I have stalled this one at all.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

...I'm having a problem with my 427. At a stop it is rare that I have a smooth takeoff in 1st. I'll either stall or she will buck taking off from a stop. What am I doing wrong?...Thanks
To be perfectly honest with you, it sounds like you're just not giving the engine enough gas, to properly combine with the speed with which you're letting up the clutch.

This is really basic standard shift driving 101.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:37 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Your car is new as well. Clutch needs a little breaking in (my opinion).

Slip it slightly and bring your revs up higher and try not to let your revs get below say 900 rpms when you are taking off. Problem solved.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:39 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 707 Posts

Are you leaving the clutch out too fast? On my LS3 it's almost impossible to stall it. I have a pretty steep driveway and I can let the clutch out slowly and not even touch the gas and have never stalled it.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:44 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
Your car is new as well. Clutch needs a little breaking in (my opinion).

Slip it slightly and bring your revs up higher and try not to let your revs get below say 900 rpms when you are taking off. Problem solved.
Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Are you leaving the clutch out too fast? On my LS3 it's almost impossible to stall it. I have a pretty steep driveway and I can let the clutch out slowly and not even touch the gas and have never stalled it.
I think we've all been had!

This has got to be a joke thread.

The OP says he's been driving manuals for many years.

Yet, he's getting us to give him a lesson in the most basic concept of driving a manual transmission vehicle.

Please! This has got to be a joke.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:07 AM
hotinaztoo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turn off your traction control and you will notice the difference right away!
Old 08-30-2013, 10:09 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I doubt if OP is joking. Different cars, different clutch takeups, different pressure, etc. As to what's causing the bucking and stalling, it's as said above.

I hope, however, when you said this ("I typically leave it in 1st and use the clutch to hold her back") you didn't mean you partially engaged the clutch to hold the car on a slight incline. If there's one thing that will wear out your clutch prematurely "hill-holding" is it. Among other things, that is....
Old 08-30-2013, 10:14 AM
05blkbeauty
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

You should shift into neutral when stopped. It doesn't hurt your clutch if you don't, but it is causing more wear on your throwout bearing.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:21 AM
Brockman66
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're doing it all wrong! Rev the engine up to about 3,000RPM and then dump the clutch.

Shouldn't have to worry about bucking anymore...
Old 08-30-2013, 10:21 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AORoads
I doubt if OP is joking. Different cars, different clutch takeups, different pressure, etc...
Makes no sense to me Bill.

Anyone, who has driven a variety of vehicles with manual transmissions over the course of many years, has to be aware of the fact that clutch pressure, friction point, required engine rpm, etc., is different in every car/truck.

How could this OP possibly not know that???
Old 08-30-2013, 10:22 AM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
I doubt if OP is joking. Different cars, different clutch takeups, different pressure, etc. As to what's causing the bucking and stalling, it's as said above.
C'MON all it takes is 30 seconds to get the feel of how a clutch performs in any model car. After his very first shift in his new 427 he should have had a definite feel for the clutch. My girlfriend who hasn't drove a stick in 20yrs drove my 13 GS like a pro the very first time she drove it while coming out of first gear.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:29 AM
fast-vette
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hameister
I think we've all been had!

This has got to be a joke thread.

The OP says he's been driving manuals for many years.

Yet, he's getting us to give him a lesson in the most basic concept of driving a manual transmission vehicle.

Please! This has got to be a joke.
I have to admit that I with great embarrassment are not joking. I don't know why I am having the difficulty in the application of the clutch and 1st gear without stall/bucking. Old dogs can be taught new tricks. I appreciate the driving lessons...
Old 08-30-2013, 10:31 AM
schmegeggie
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theVcar
get your ricer back

Often, I am stuck driving my wife's Miata(humiliating, yes). The clutch in that car feels like it needs replaced compared to my Vette. It takes a few minutes to get used to the difference.
I always leave it in 1st at stoplights. Never had any problems with clutches. Traded my 87 Nissan years ago, and it had 180k miles on it, and was still on the factory clutch!
Old 08-30-2013, 10:36 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 707 Posts

I have to admit that I with great embarrassment are not joking. I don't know why I am having the difficulty in the application of the clutch and 1st gear without stall/bucking. Old dogs can be taught new tricks. I appreciate the driving lessons...
Could it be there's something wrong with the computer regulating throttle response? You shouldn't have to give it any gas and it shouldn't stall.

Last edited by R&L's C6; 08-30-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To M6 Clutch Issue

Old 08-30-2013, 10:38 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Accepting the fact that you really are having this difficulty, and the fact that you have many years of manual driving experience, I can only conclude that there is some mechanical problem with your car.

Perhaps it would be best if you take it back to your dealer, and explain the issue to them.

While I have many years experience driving standard shift cars, and trucks, I had not driven one in about 20 years.

Yet, when I picked up my new GS a few months ago, it took me all of several minutes to get accustomed to the engine torque, rpm, and friction point, in order to obtain a smooth launch of the car from a dead stop.

You should be experiencing the same thing. That's why I'm suggesting that you may have some mechanical issue.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:42 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

If you're interested, I live on the other side of town from you and also have a 427 vert. PM me if you'd like to stop by and we can compare cars.

I have found the 427's clutch to be smooth but also takes more pressure to hold it than my C5 - this sometimes surprised me when I first brought it home, resulting in a quicker engagement but have not stalled it yet, and I don't give it any gas pedal when leaving from a stop before it starts to engage. Would be interesting to see if yours is the same.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

I have to admit that I with great embarrassment are not joking. I don't know why I am having the difficulty in the application of the clutch and 1st gear without stall/bucking.
FWIW I'd went from an '06 C6 (Z51 optioned w/man) to an '08 Z06 and have to admit it took some getting used to. I bucked, even stalled once in the beginning & I'd driven plenty of manuals, also.

Bet you've not much mileage on your brand new clutch, right?
Add your unfamiliarity & a barley broke-in hydraulic assisted clutch and there'll probably be some issues 'til both of you get broken-in.

Today my clutch is smooth as a baby's butt, & I know how to properly use it. For comparisson I'd an opportunity to drive an acquaintance's recently acquired '06 Ford GT. 750HP monster & beautiful; but, after having driven a smooth HA MZ6 I'd the devil to pay getting used to the clutch Ford used in the car. Embarrassing.

Give you & the car some time, you'll be just fine.

Quick Reply: M6 Clutch Issue