C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? for those who installed ZR1 spoiler on base C6

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 07:27 AM
Gerdia
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ? for those who installed ZR1 spoiler on base C6

I'm asking about the reproduction or OEM spoilers sold by the vendors here that fit the base C6's.
How is the fit? is it flush to the body or are there any gaps, no matter how small.
I ask, because I recently saw 2 vettes and they both had a slight gap at the end. there was a 427 there also and that one was flush all the way around. I understand they could have been installed incorrectly, I really want one of these and want to make sure they fit like factory. Nothing I hate more than when I install something on a car and it doesn't look original ( even though its not, I like it to look original ).

Thanks

Gerry
Old 09-23-2013, 08:38 AM
Knoxrower
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Save up a few more $ and by a true OEM. I did the reproduction. the paint job was awesome color was right no blemishes etc. But the fit isn't perfect. there's small gaps where the body curves up, the tail light didn't fit correctly and the outer edges are lifted slightly. It's not bad for what I paid for it but if I were going to do it again I'd save up and by the original.

Pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fvdin6u46bv5a6r/yF0lnScnHs

Last edited by Knoxrower; 09-23-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:46 AM
AimHigh
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Well I've waited over a month for someone to post something regarding our aftermarket vendors......out of respect for the rules about not ******* a vendor here when they are selling a product by following behind their post on what a fine product they have, when in reality you receive garbage....

If you purchase other than stock GM, be slow, check visually by removing bolts and laying the spoiler on the deck before you do any drilling. Otherwise you could be very unhappy with the results.

Here are some pics of the RPI product you see being sold on our forum all the time.
Many of our members have had good results and are pleased with what they have received. Good. Here is what I received (Pics below).

Im just really happy I noticed something was way off and eventually removed the mounting clips and checked alignment visually/flat before drilling. Otherwise, you can imagine how much more unhappy I would be running around with out of alignment holes drilled in my back area and no rear spoiler.

My product arrived late.

My product was obviously defective, with numerous defects in both paint quality (chips on edges etc) and in the fit (skewed so badly it curved on the back deck and did not follow the body line at all).

When I asked for correction from RPI I was offered another long wait.

When I asked for compensation I was offered a discount towards a future product, rather than making right on the task at hand.
(Why would I want a discount on a future product when they can't make the present one right by me first?)

YOU BE THE JUDGE....

Brake light opening with the light installed..

Alignment of the spoiler edge to the rear deck edge

Old 09-23-2013, 10:53 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Gerdia
I'm asking about the reproduction or OEM spoilers sold by the vendors here that fit the base C6's.
How is the fit? is it flush to the body or are there any gaps, no matter how small.
I ask, because I recently saw 2 vettes and they both had a slight gap at the end. there was a 427 there also and that one was flush all the way around. I understand they could have been installed incorrectly, I really want one of these and want to make sure they fit like factory. Nothing I hate more than when I install something on a car and it doesn't look original ( even though its not, I like it to look original ).

Thanks

Gerry
then have the dealer install it if your concerned. they installed mine before buying i bought mine, did a great job.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Jim2003
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I ordered my 13 with the full width ZR1 spoiler. It looks great. It is installed perfectly. Only buy the OEM.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:17 AM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I purchased mine at Carlisle this year and went for the non bolt in style, I did notice the light did not fit properly it was actually larger than the hole provided in the spoiler. Laying it down on the dry run I noticed there was no room for the socket to connect to the lamp and had to notch out some of the bumper where the fixture goes down into the socket hole for clearance. Other than that the paint matches perfectly, just had to clean up a little glue residue from the 3M tape. Looks great on the car!

Last edited by myfunz; 09-23-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:00 PM
Gars08vert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info, as I am considering adding this spoiler. Now it will be only OEM, and dealer installed. Period. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2013, 06:07 PM
Vette4Vet
Instructor

I ordered mine from Gene at gmpartshouse, it fits great and looks great, was very easy to install with the included parts and instructions...

Old 09-23-2013, 06:18 PM
Jim Tom
Instructor

I bought mine at Carlisle from gmparts house. They offered to install it free, on site, but I like to do stuff myself. I watched Gene's guy install a few for hints. It was an easy install and fits perfectly the color was right on. Don't be afraid to drill holes.
Jim
Old 09-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Gerdia
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for all the input, this what makes this forum great. I'm not afraid of installing it, I'm just concerned of a less than factory fit look. Vendors here are great and offer different varieties for different costs, I think I will spend the extra $$$ and go with the OEM spoiler.
thanks again for your inputs and pictures.

Gerry
Old 09-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Gerdia
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Knoxrower
Save up a few more $ and by a true OEM. I did the reproduction. the paint job was awesome color was right no blemishes etc. But the fit isn't perfect. there's small gaps where the body curves up, the tail light didn't fit correctly and the outer edges are lifted slightly. It's not bad for what I paid for it but if I were going to do it again I'd save up and by the original.

Pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fvdin6u46bv5a6r/yF0lnScnHs
If you lived in Pa. I'd say your car was the one I saw at a local vette show. Those kinds of gaps are exactly the ones I noticed, thanks.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:36 PM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Tom
I bought mine at Carlisle from gmparts house. They offered to install it free, on site, but I like to do stuff myself. I watched Gene's guy install a few for hints. It was an easy install and fits perfectly the color was right on. Don't be afraid to drill holes.
Jim
I also got mine at Carlisle from Gene,they installed it for free as well, perfect match fit,like it came that way from the factory....
Old 09-23-2013, 07:42 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,574 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by hdkeno
I also got mine at Carlisle from Gene,they installed it for free as well, perfect match fit,like it came that way from the factory....
How much did they charge?
Old 09-23-2013, 08:23 PM
ButchN
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverblue
At the show the installation was free.
You guys who didn't take up the offer should have.
The instlall took a short time & the fit & finish is perfect.
My write up with pics on my GMparts house spoiler install is here.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Vette4Vet
Instructor

Originally Posted by butchn
I promise it's easy once you get the courage to drill the first hole... Order it from Gene and you won't regret it!
Old 09-24-2013, 04:27 AM
Gerdia
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Guys, just to clarify, the OEM ZR1 spoiler will fit on the base/vert. I just noticed in most of the description listed as "ZR1 style spoiler for the base C6".
Old 09-24-2013, 10:56 AM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Silverblue
About $285 installed

Get notified of new replies

To ? for those who installed ZR1 spoiler on base C6

Old 09-24-2013, 10:58 AM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

I can thank you Butch, after seeing his spoiler, I had to get one on mine........Glad I did.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:35 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Has anyone had handling issues or even driven base cars with the full length spoiler at or near top speed? Although I'd doubt 150 mph would be enough to cause aerodynamic concerns, speeds in excess of 180 might.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:28 PM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Any issues with the lamp being larger than the hole on the spoiler when in stalling?

Quick Reply: ? for those who installed ZR1 spoiler on base C6