C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost Run Off The Road - Anti Corvette Drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 05:31 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Almost Run Off The Road - Anti Corvette Drivers?

Took my Vette out this morning, was on one of those large merge ramps that is 2 lanes wide. Some guy in an SUV blew by me and no big deal. Then I caught up to a handful of slower cars and since the left lane was clear I moved to pass them on a slow arcing curve.

For whatever reason, passing slower drivers in a Corvette seemed to be a major no-no, as a car swerved into my lane as I approached causing me to lay in on the horn. As I continued, some other guy decided to get in on the 'run me off the road' action and swerved at me as well, on his horn.

Once I got on the main interstate I knew they were going to pull something stupid so I just went 60. One guy tailgaited me with his high beams on for a while, the other blew by me blowing his horn.

I got home feeling a bit angry but mostly sad, that people think just because someone drives a Corvette, its somehow a good idea to drive recklessly and aggressive.

Neither of those drivers did anything when that SUV blew by them in the left lane, why a Corvette is any different is beyond me. I kinda like that long arcing curve, its fun to accelerate through and was not harming anyone. Certainly if they thought I was driving dangerously, they were driving 10x more dangerous with their response.

Anyhow, just venting. I guess their life sucks so they want to **** off other people to bring others lives to their level.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:42 PM
dtby74
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jacka**es. Seems you handled that well. Stomp the gas and laugh at them as they get smaller in your rearview mirror
Old 10-27-2013, 05:46 PM
CheckSix
Racer

Originally Posted by KneeDragr
Took my Vette out this morning, was on one of those large merge ramps that is 2 lanes wide. Some guy in an SUV blew by me and no big deal. Then I caught up to a handful of slower cars and since the left lane was clear I moved to pass them on a slow arcing curve.

For whatever reason, passing slower drivers in a Corvette seemed to be a major no-no, as a car swerved into my lane as I approached causing me to lay in on the horn. As I continued, some other guy decided to get in on the 'run me off the road' action and swerved at me as well, on his horn.

Once I got on the main interstate I knew they were going to pull something stupid so I just went 60. One guy tailgaited me with his high beams on for a while, the other blew by me blowing his horn.

I got home feeling a bit angry but mostly sad, that people think just because someone drives a Corvette, its somehow a good idea to drive recklessly and aggressive.

Neither of those drivers did anything when that SUV blew by them in the left lane, why a Corvette is any different is beyond me. I kinda like that long arcing curve, its fun to accelerate through and was not harming anyone. Certainly if they thought I was driving dangerously, they were driving 10x more dangerous with their response.

Anyhow, just venting. I guess their life sucks so they want to **** off other people to bring others lives to their level.
In the last 4 months since my car was new, I've noticed numerous instances where other drivers in pedestrian vehicles, have gotten really stupid around my car. Taunting me to race them is the usual stupid reaction. The ignore button works pretty good.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:47 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I have found out that there are basically 3 types of drivers. Those that go out of their way to be nice, those that go out of their way to be a**holes, and those that are oblivious.

lisa
Old 10-27-2013, 05:50 PM
gar4403
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Almost Run Off The Road - Anti Corvette Drivers?

...probably so. You did the best thing by just moving on. Sure takes the fun out of a nice drive.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:04 PM
RMOSSB12
Cruising

I'm guessing that they didn't initially see you when he almost side swiped you. Then to them you just seemed like an irate driver in a sports car. This happens to me sometimes, when I get next to them to say "Hey you almost killed me!" they are surprised to even see me. Usually people on their cell phone. Just pay attention and protect your self/car and move on with life. People are so damn oblivious to their surroundings it's amazing we made it this far as a race.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:08 PM
IrishSpuds
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 243 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by owc6
I have found out that there are basically 3 types of drivers. Those that go out of their way to be nice, those that go out of their way to be a**holes, and those that are oblivious.

lisa

Very well said. I have experienced mainly ambivolence when I drive, but I drive defensively. I can tell you that the corvette forum is representative of those how behave nicely, like a**holes and those that are oblivious. Here on General discussion most are of the nicely variety; Most in the OT forum are insecure mentally challenged turds (a**holes). Best course of action is just let em go. As i see it bad drivers will eventually kill themselves, I will not be involved. Drive safe and drive happy
Old 10-27-2013, 06:14 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Good thing you kept your composure and didn't do anything to stupid in response. I know it's hard, but there will always be dumbass drivers no matter what car you're driving.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:29 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by LFZ
Good thing you kept your composure and didn't do anything to stupid in response. I know it's hard, but there will always be dumbass drivers no matter what car you're driving.
Well said. Be above them. There are just a few rude drivers on the road.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:50 PM
Hogtos
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by LFZ
Agreed. Sometimes I wish I had a Red light on my car. I'd pull folks over and issue them a ticket for DWI. Driving While an Idiot!

But best to be cool and let the idiots go!

Quote from General Colin Powell in reference to success, "Get mad, then get over it".
Old 10-27-2013, 06:56 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

I think it's less "anti-corvette drivers" and more of "people are *******s". This happens to all kinds of cars, nice, crappy, new, old, sports cars, minivans, it doesn't really matter. People nowdays have this "I can do no wrong" mentality where everyone who shows up wins.

So basically, it was your fault, no matter what, because they could do no wrong. You clearly provoked them, because they're never at fault. Welcome to America, where it's always someone else's fault. Like that guy in whatever car that passed me.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:04 PM
IrishSpuds
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 243 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I think it's less "anti-corvette drivers" and more of "people are *******s". This happens to all kinds of cars, nice, crappy, new, old, sports cars, minivans, it doesn't really matter. People nowdays have this "I can do no wrong" mentality where everyone who shows up wins. So basically, it was your fault, no matter what, because they could do no wrong. You clearly provoked them, because they're never at fault. Welcome to America, where it's always someone else's fault. Like that guy in whatever car that passed me.
Agreed - was at my kids soccer game this morning and they took a brutal beating. When the score was 6-0 against my kids team the other team could not score another goal. League rules. I call total BS - my kids team were awful and it was embarrassing watching the other team dance around our goal. Let the best win fair and square and the lesson to the losers (yes losers) will be to try harder next time. This nanny (democrat) state mentality of promoting equality for lame ducks is ludicrous.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:36 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

When I was a kid we had a saying " hit me I need the money" not so much any more. When people go put of their way to hassle me I usually just blow by them first chance I get. After all I am driving probably the fastest car on the road. Or maybe faster that 99.9% of those out there. Old saying "there's one in every crowd"
Old 10-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Blk Beauty
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls1121
When I was a kid we had a saying " hit me I need the money" not so much any more. When people go put of their way to hassle me I usually just blow by them first chance I get. After all I am driving probably the fastest car on the road. Or maybe faster that 99.9% of those out there. Old saying "there's one in every crowd"
Ditto! I don't get the OP's treatment so much, as I get a lot of tailgating. I have a few upgrades on my car, so its pretty easy to get away from them.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:50 PM
fireinv38
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

people are just a** holes. i try to keep my distance if possible. i have the same if not worse while on my Harley. i drive the same way and carry pretty big ball bearings in my pockets oops! a rock must of got kicked up be safe.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:22 PM
Jeff-Ford
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishSpuds
Agreed - was at my kids soccer game this morning and they took a brutal beating. When the score was 6-0 against my kids team the other team could not score another goal. League rules. I call total BS - my kids team were awful and it was embarrassing watching the other team dance around our goal. Let the best win fair and square and the lesson to the losers (yes losers) will be to try harder next time. This nanny (democrat) state mentality of promoting equality for lame ducks is ludicrous.
Thank you that was awesome.....reminded me of a time playing baseball yrs ago and we got beat bad. Walking back to the car my dad said " You guys got your asses handed to you today" and we laughed. Went to get in the car and the door was locked. I looked in at him and he said "your not stinking up my car" and he pulled off LOL only to stop and let me in. Great times
Old 10-27-2013, 08:23 PM
noz34me
Pro

I don't think it's just Corvettes. Any performance car draws attention from the low lifes, usually driving a POS but trying to impress someone or themselves.

Best to just ignore them or if there's a clear opportunity blow by them without even a look.

Get notified of new replies

To Almost Run Off The Road - Anti Corvette Drivers?

Old 10-27-2013, 08:29 PM
recentlydivorced
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

When I get tailgated, I just slow my *** down until they go by. There are some that just ,are total *****. I have several times had to get under 45 on a 70 MPH highway before they will go by me in BTW a lane that was open the whole time. Then if I am in the vette and not the POS, I will blow by them after just for fun.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:41 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by recentlydivorced
When I get tailgated, I just slow my *** down until they go by. There are some that just ,are total *****. I have several times had to get under 45 on a 70 MPH highway before they will go by me in BTW a lane that was open the whole time. Then if I am in the vette ., I will blow by them after just for fun.
You drive like a grandpa to MAKE them pass you, them blow by them??

You sound like a bigger "****" than they are.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:49 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99
You drive like a grandpa to MAKE them pass you, them blow by them??

You sound like a bigger "****" than they are.
Yeah, I try not to do stuff that will **** people off. My car is the only one with my color combo in my county, so it's too memorable to make them want to key me when they see it in the Safeway parking lot next week.

lisa

Quick Reply: Almost Run Off The Road - Anti Corvette Drivers?