C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left key FOB next to car - new FOB battery dead in 10 days

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 04:25 PM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Left key FOB next to car - new FOB battery dead in 10 days

So, I was getting sick of trying to open the door to my 2008 Coupe and forgetting to bring a FOB out into the garage with me, so I took one of the FOB's and left it on a shelf, within 6 feet of the car. The FOB had a brand new CR2032 battery in it.

Today (10 days later) I went out to open driver door, and nope, door would not open. I picked up the FOB and tried to lock/unlock and got no response. I took out battery and it read 2.42v (effectively dead).

If you leave a FOB close to the car, does this normally cause a drain to the FOB battery, or is something else going on??????

Thanks, Dave F.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Chevy-SS
If you leave a FOB close to the car, does this normally cause a drain to the FOB battery, or is something else going on??????

Thanks, Dave F.
Not unless one of the buttons on the fob is stuck in the down (on) position.

Something else is going on.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:55 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,818 Likes on 2,063 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JimTN

No FOB battery drain occurs without direct action from you.
When you touch the door pad the FOB battery is used to communicate with the car to let you in.
When you press the Start button the FOB battery is used to communicate with the car to allow it to start.
When you press the button back by the rear license plate the FOB battery is used to communicate with the car to give you access to the rear hatch/trunk.
When you turn off the engine the car looks for the FOB and the FOB battery is used to communicate the FOB's presence.

Other than that, you must push a button on the FOB to use the FOB battery.

So, if it's just sitting there, say on the hood, no battery drain at all on the FOB UNLESS a button is stuck "on" and then your juice is flowing.

Elmer
Old 10-18-2013, 05:45 PM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Originally Posted by JimTN

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
When you touch the door pad the FOB battery is used to communicate with the car to let you in.
When you press the Start button the FOB battery is used to communicate with the car to allow it to start.
When you press the button back by the rear license plate the FOB battery is used to communicate with the car to give you access to the rear hatch/trunk.
When you turn off the engine the car looks for the FOB and the FOB battery is used to communicate the FOB's presence.

So, if it's just sitting there, say on the hood, no battery drain at all on the FOB UNLESS a button is stuck "on" and then your juice is flowing.

Elmer

Thanks guys! I appreciate the answers...................
Old 10-18-2013, 05:54 PM
myorder
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem with a Toyota Camry. The problem as explained by the dealer is that these new cars are electronicly talking and listening all the time. They send out a quire to the fob, it does answer and in short order the battery is dead. I was warned to keep the fob away from the car like even inside the house it can be drained. Look in your manual, if you don't drive your car once a week the car battery can drain down, that is because all the electronics are talking even though you thnk they are shut off.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:57 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by myorder
I had a similar problem with a Toyota Camry. The problem as explained by the dealer is that these new cars are electronicly talking and listening all the time. They send out a quire to the fob, it does answer and in short order the battery is dead. I was warned to keep the fob away from the car like even inside the house it can be drained. Look in your manual, if you don't drive your car once a week the car battery can drain down, that is because all the electronics are talking even though you thnk they are shut off.
Not true. Nothing talks on its own. It has to be asked to talk.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:59 PM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Well, I am gonna conduct an experiment. I will put new battery in FOB and replace it in same spot. I will measure battery voltage before and after, just to confirm I put a good battery in to begin with.

Thanks very much!!!!!!!!
Old 10-18-2013, 06:01 PM
EVRose
Race Director

And to Chevy SS, why not just turn off the auto lock feature? I leave it off for the same reason. I dont want to need to bring a fob with me to the garage every time I want to just open the door.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:05 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Elmer
^
So the 'proximity aspect' of the car/fob only works when you are walking away from the car? In other words if you are getting out of your car and walk away with the fob in your pocket, the car 'senses' the same and locks and alarms the car. But if you are approaching the car with the fob in your pocket the car has no 'automatic communication with the fob triggered by the close proximity, to perform any unlocking or other functions?
Old 10-18-2013, 06:20 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
^
So the 'proximity aspect' of the car/fob only works when you are walking away from the car? In other words if you are getting out of your car and walk away with the fob in your pocket, the car 'senses' the same and locks and alarms the car. But if you are approaching the car with the fob in your pocket the car has no 'automatic communication with the fob triggered by the close proximity, to perform any unlocking or other functions?
Bingo.

Elmer
Old 10-18-2013, 06:27 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

^
Bingo.

Elmer

^ So, in the OP's case, what happens if you are walking away from the car with the fob in your pocket or hand, but never get a sufficient distance from the car for it to lock and alarm . . do the car & fob keep communicating 'awaiting' that action?
Old 10-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

^
Not exactly. It does not "sense" that you are walking away with the fob. It only "sensed" one time that the fob left the car. The locking is the process the car carried out because it "sensed" the fob left the car.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:42 PM
eboggs_jkvl

When you push the button to turn off the engine, the car looks for the FOB. If it finds the FOB, it turns off the engine. If it does NOT find the FOB, it pops up a message saying it can't find the FOB and are you really serious about turning off the motor. You push the button again and the car turns off.

So, you have the FOB in your pocket and you push the button, the engine turns off. You open the door get out, the car sees the FOB leave the car and then it starts to lock and set the alarm and crap. IF you open the door and set the FOB on the console and then get out, if the car is set up to alert you of a FOB in the car, it will honk 3 times to let you know the FOB is in the car and you're getting ready to learn a locksmith's phone number (unless you can get the 2nd FOB! ). The car doesn't track you down the street or keep track where the FOB is after you get out and close the door.

Elmer
Old 10-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Originally Posted by EVRose
And to Chevy SS, why not just turn off the auto lock feature? I leave it off for the same reason. I dont want to need to bring a fob with me to the garage every time I want to just open the door.

LOL, yeah, I guess it would help to read the owner's manual. Honestly, I truly hate the whole keyless-start FOB thing, so I haven't bothered to study up on it. I'd much rather have a traditional key to start/run the vehicle, and use the FOB to open doors/hatch/etc. I completely fail to see how the FOB makes anything easier.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Chevy-SS
I completely fail to see how the FOB makes anything easier.
Put the fob in your pocket and leave it there the whole time you're using the car. Now go somewhere, park the car, kill the engine and get out of the car. Shut the door. Pretty easy process, wasn't it? Didn't have to take a key out of your pocket to get in it. Didn't have to put a key in the ignition, didn't have to remember to take the key out of the ignition, didn't have to remember to lock the car, didn't have to put the keys in your pocket.

Come back out of the store carrying what you bought. Don't have to switch hands to fish your pocket for your keys to get in the car. When you get home, don't have to use keys to lock the car. Don't have to juggle the keys if your hands are full of what you bought.

Yeah, fobs are really a pain.

Do you have a cell phone, or do you wait until you get home so you can use your old rotary dial telephone?

Last edited by Vette_DD; 10-18-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:56 PM
EVRose
Race Director

I love the keyless system. The only thing I do when I get out is hit the lock button on the door since I have auto lock disabled.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:08 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by myorder
Just attended a new owner seminar on behalf of one of my kids and the dealer said exactly this^. They warned not to leave fob in vicinity of car. Evidently their system works differently then GM's and their fob has a little red light on same that shows when car is trying to communicate without any action on driver's part. Different strokes for different folks!

Get notified of new replies

To Left key FOB next to car - new FOB battery dead in 10 days

Old 10-18-2013, 09:13 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I've suspected for years that my car talks to my fob when I'm not looking . . . . .
Old 10-18-2013, 09:28 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by dpigguy
Just attended a new owner seminar on behalf of one of my kids and the dealer said exactly this^. They warned not to leave fob in vicinity of car. Evidently their system works differently then GM's and their fob has a little red light on same that shows when car is trying to communicate without any action on driver's part. Different strokes for different folks!
I'm not sure how close you need to be for this problem to occur, but my wife has been leaving the fob for her 2011 Camry about 10 feet away from the car since day one, no problems.

I'd give it 50-50 that the Toyotas are actually different, or the dealers are, uh, misinformed.

Standing by for further information...
Old 10-19-2013, 09:06 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Exactly what I do.
Originally Posted by EVRose

Quick Reply: Left key FOB next to car - new FOB battery dead in 10 days