C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jensen VX6020

Old 10-23-2013, 08:34 AM
cadawg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Jensen VX6020 and Double D Mods

Jensen VX6020 installed by Double D Mods

I’ve never wrote a review online before, but I felt this is one I should write. I couldn’t decide whether to post it in the audio forum, or the general forum, and since it’s a review, as much about a Corvette Forum vendor and the whole install experience, as it is about the Jensen VX6020, I think it may belong in the General Forum.

Features I wanted in my new stereo:

Built in GPS
DVD’s
AM/FM
Bluetooth
Ipod and Iphone compatible
SD and USB capability

The new Jensen VX6020 covered all the things I wanted and more, and for much less than competing models.

So after a couple of conversations, with Dennis and with Steven, we set up the install.

And while the Birmingham (Calera) location is a short drive from Atlanta, a couple of hours, I decided to drive over, spend the night, and have the install done the next morning, and then meet up with my niece, for lunch in Birmingham.

There is a very nice/new Hampton Inn close by, with an awesome restaurant, Ezell’s Catfish Cabin, right across the street. The catfish was great, also the fried shrimp, and some really good appetizers.

After dinner enjoyed a couple three glasses of wine, out by the hotel pool!

Next morning, met Steven at the shop. Great guy, and very quickly, he showed me how knowledgeable he is.

I can’t say enough about the meticulous attention to detail, and the great care he gave to my sweetie (yes that’s my cars name), his experience, was evident and greatly appreciated!

Now for the Jensen VX6020

I’m no audiophile, but I know when something sounds good, and this stereo does. It sounds much better than the stock Corvette radio.

The AM/FM works great, and is very intuitive to program. I did scan the manual, online a few days before the install.

The backup camera works great, and as many of us know, sometimes it’s very difficult to judge exactly, especially after enjoying an adult beverage, if I ever decided to do that.

Navigation works great!
I used it coming back from Birmingham to my home, east of Atlanta, near Athens.

I especially like the speed feature, letting me know if I was exceeding the speed limit, it even knew about the temporary, speed reduction in construction zones.

I’ve been known to have a lead foot on occasion. And the Alabama state patrol was out in grand fashion. I came upon the guy in the mustang that had pulled up beside me, and gunned his motor a few times. He was being greeted by the guy with the blue light flashing.

SD card: I have the entire BB King, Albert King and the Freddie King collection on a micro SD and those played great, and was easy to use that feature.

DVD/Movies: It played movies from the DVD’s I brought, AND it also played them from the SD card and USB.

Bluetooth: The Bluetooth works great!
Pairing the VX6020 with my iPhone was easy. Making and receiving calls couldn’t be any easier! The VX6020 has a built in microphone, and people tell me I sound very good.

Playing Pandora radio was simple, and worked really well. If you’ve never used a device with the Parrot Bluetooth, you should try one; you’ll see how much better it is.

Well, I don’t know if I missed any features, but if I did I will be glad to edit and update this review.

So in conclusion, I think the Jensen VX6020 is a winner.

It’s reasonably priced.
It does everything it’s supposed to do, and does it very well, no bugs or issues like some of the competitors costing two to three times as much!

Also dealing with Double D Mods was great. Dennis is patient, took all the time necessary to ensure, my stereo selection would do everything I wanted. Steven is great, I will not let anyone else, ever touch my Corvette.

Yep, that's Matt Dillon!

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

The Duke!

Last edited by cadawg; 10-23-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:07 AM
TXredc3
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That package is a "steal" for $450. Wish I had known about it before I installed my Kenwood.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:28 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Very nice review. I am considering that Jensen as well.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:49 AM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Glad u like it Keith!!!!! I was a pleasure meeting you and look forward to working on your sweetie again
Steven
Old 10-23-2013, 10:40 AM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cadawg
Jensen VX6020 installed by Double D Mods

DVD/Movies: It played movies from the DVD’s I brought, AND it also played them from the SD card and USB.

Thanks for the great review! About to pick up my new-to-me C6 tomorrow and already considering a NAV unit install.

I have a TWO questions ...

1) Despite extensive searching, I have yet to find anything that answers whether this - or any DVD playing unit - would play my DVD-AUDIO discs. These discs essentially play in all DVD players, so I don't see how it wouldn't work... I can understand if these car units do not have a 5.1 surround decoder built-in (those are expensive and I think extinct), but it would be nice to hear my discs, even if it was only in stereo.

I would almost be willing to mail you one of my discs in order to try it out! Any way you can help me answer this? I've searched everywhere!

2) Was the "play movies only while parked" feature easily disabled for you?

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2013, 12:38 PM
cadawg
Instructor

Originally Posted by vara411
Thanks for the great review! About to pick up my new-to-me C6 tomorrow and already considering a NAV unit install.

I have a TWO questions ...

1) Despite extensive searching, I have yet to find anything that answers whether this - or any DVD playing unit - would play my DVD-AUDIO discs. These discs essentially play in all DVD players, so I don't see how it wouldn't work... I can understand if these car units do not have a 5.1 surround decoder built-in (those are expensive and I think extinct), but it would be nice to hear my discs, even if it was only in stereo.

I would almost be willing to mail you one of my discs in order to try it out! Any way you can help me answer this? I've searched everywhere!

2) Was the "play movies only while parked" feature easily disabled for you?

Thanks!
Congrats on the new ride!

1) I listen to audio books on DVD's, all the time. I just now, went and tested a few more, both store bought and also some I downloaded, and they all played perfectly. If it would make you feel more comfortable, you're welcome to mail one to me for testing, but I can't imagine it not playing.

2) The movies play perfectly, also! Just as you would want!

Last edited by cadawg; 10-23-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:49 PM
vatakle
Racer

Thanks for the review. Looks good. How does the GPS Map Update work? How is the Nav compared to Garmin? Does it have live traffic too?

How much did it cost for install?

Thanks
Old 10-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You didn't list XM in the features so I assume it is not XM capable. True/false?
Old 10-23-2013, 03:07 PM
RoadReady
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Curious about map updates too... and the cost. GM price for new disks is outrageous!
Old 10-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Copterdoc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CK 6
You didn't list XM in the features so I assume it is not XM capable. True/false?
Old 10-23-2013, 03:58 PM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Steven did my update to a Kenwood 890hd and you are correct he takes great care with your car while he's working on it, he was a great addition to Double D.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:25 PM
cadawg
Instructor

Originally Posted by vatakle
Thanks for the review. Looks good. How does the GPS Map Update work? How is the Nav compared to Garmin? Does it have live traffic too?

How much did it cost for install?

Thanks
I haven't done a GPS Map Update yet. I did look into it briefly, while previewing the Jensen VX6020 before deciding to purchase, and did not see a map update available/necessary. I believe the literature that comes with the radio, says free update within 90 days of purchase/registration.

I've never had a Garmin, so I really can't compare to that. But I have a Magellan portable, and in my opinion, it works better than that.

No, I don't believe it has live traffic.

As for cost to install, I think Dennis is running a sale for the month of October, and there is a post elsewhere on the Forum, audio section, I think.

Just to see if it works, I did test the iPhone Google Maps Ap, and it works perfectly, giving all the necessary voice/turn commands via the Parrot Bluetooth. Not halfway working, like with some other, much more pricey competitors.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:30 PM
cadawg
Instructor

Originally Posted by CK 6
Does not have satellite.

But you could probably get the xmradio ap and I would think it would work just fine, via the Parrot Bluetooth. Not sure, but I think it's about 4.99/mo.

I have a Roady2 in the center console, that I use, if I ever have the desire to listen to satellite.

Last edited by cadawg; 10-23-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:48 PM
cadawg
Instructor

Originally Posted by RoadReady

Curious about map updates too... and the cost. GM price for new disks is outrageous!
I don't know how much the GM price for map updates is, but would appreciate, if you would share that with me, so I have a reference point?

Anyway, I just now, went and looked at the costs of updating the maps. The most recent updates are Q1 2013. So the Jensen VX6020 comes with the latest. But if I'm understanding what I'm reading there, if someone had wanted to buy that, the last US/Canada map was 64.95.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:39 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Is it possible to change the background screen on this unit? Looks like a heck of a good deal.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:09 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Thanks Keith for your business and taking the time to give your review.
Its always appreciated when you guys take the time to post your experience not only with the product but our service to you.

Enjoy the new NAV unit and if you need anything else just give me a call.

Dennis
Old 10-26-2013, 02:11 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

For those of you wanting to upgrade your C6 to NAV but do not want to spend a fortune to do so your answer is here!
We now have an affordable option for you!

Jensen has just released a new Double Din 6.2" screen NAV radio at a real nice price point!

2DIN 6.2" high resolution touch screen TFT with built-in Navigation and Bluetooth

ONLY $449.99!!

Package includes!
1- Jensen VX6020 Double Din NAV RADIO
1- Metra or Pac Audio Harness
1- GM antenna adapter
1- Metra Dash Kit

The VX6020 has been release early to accommodate the holiday shoppers. This aggressively priced first of its kind feature packed multimedia system lives up to the Jensen value proposition of affordable, yet high-end car audio. This system comes with built-in iGo Primo Navigation (US maps only), Naviextras Web Support, built-in Bluetooth—hands free/A2DP (music streaming) and control (for Android and iPhone) phone book download and is made for your iPhone / iPod via front USB direct control and 1 Amp charging...and much, much more.
iGo Primo Navigation (US map only)
Naviextras web support - download other countries, POI and value features
Bluetooth - hands free, phone book access, music streaming and audio controls for Android and iPhone
AM-FM tuner w-RDS/DVD/CD-MP3
6.2" high resolution touch screen TFT
iPod/iPhone via front USB direct control and 1 Amp charging
Front USB
Front SD card
Front 3.5mm audio/video input
Rear audio/video input
Front/rear/sub RCA lineout
Rear camera in
Video out
16 key learning SWC interface
Remote control
160 Watts peak power (40x4)
THIS RADIO WILL NOT DO SAT RADIO

Get notified of new replies

To Jensen VX6020

Old 10-26-2013, 04:59 PM
RoadReady
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cadawg
I don't know how much the GM price for map updates is, but would appreciate, if you would share that with me, so I have a reference point?

Anyway, I just now, went and looked at the costs of updating the maps. The most recent updates are Q1 2013. So the Jensen VX6020 comes with the latest. But if I'm understanding what I'm reading there, if someone had wanted to buy that, the last US/Canada map was 64.95.
The list price is $199.99!!
Old 10-26-2013, 05:44 PM
cadawg
Instructor

Originally Posted by CactusCat
Is it possible to change the background screen on this unit? Looks like a heck of a good deal.
Yes, it is. The instructions look fairly simple, too.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:51 PM
brewersprts
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

How's the look/feel of the dash kit around the head unit compared to the plastic trim that is directly below it? Is it even close?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jensen VX6020