C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CTEK battery charger unit light stays amber

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 11:19 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default CTEK battery charger unit light stays amber

Just noticed that the charger is staying on the amber light on the CTEK unit. The LED indicator in line flashes green still.
On CTEK unit it usually stays amber for one hour then green light would come on and stay green. But now I notice amber light is staying on.
What does this mean?
Battery indicator unit says battery is fine.
Do I have a power drain?
Power automatically shuts down after 15 minutes in these Corvettes.
Is battery going bad?
Old 10-25-2013, 12:05 PM
Vinnie T
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
Just noticed that the charger is staying on the amber light on the CTEK unit. The LED indicator in line flashes green still.
On CTEK unit it usually stays amber for one hour then green light would come on and stay green. But now I notice amber light is staying on.
What does this mean?
Battery indicator unit says battery is fine.
Do I have a power drain?
Power automatically shuts down after 15 minutes in these Corvettes.
Is battery going bad?
How old is the battery and how is your CTEK unit hooked up (under hood or cig lighter)? If the battery is more than 5 years old, you are on borrowed time at this point and anything can happen when it comes to batteries. Is your charger set on the correct mode if it has multiple settings for different battery/voltage uses?

Mine has always worked as you described with solid amber going eventually solid green.

Last edited by Vinnie T; 10-25-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:31 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Vinnie T
How old is the battery and how is your CTEK unit hooked up (under hood or cig lighter)? If the battery is more than 5 years old, you are on borrowed time at the point and anything can happen when it comes to batteries. Is your charger set on the correct mode if it has multiple settings for different battery/voltage uses?

Mine has always worked as you described with solid amber going eventually solid green.
Yes battery has been load tested by dealership and passed as still good. It is the original 2005 battery
Old 10-25-2013, 01:03 PM
jwf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Generally mine is amber for a while and then goes to green and seems to stay there. But that said, most of the time when I go to drive the car the light has been green; but once or twice I have gone to drive the car and have noticed that the light was amber but then after the drive when I hooked it back up it went amber and then green again. So I know the CTEK has different cycles and will give a short charge if the voltage dips so I just figured it was doing one of these things. Also one time the light was blinking and it turned out that my cigarette lighter plug was not seated properly and did not have a good connection.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:33 PM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
It is the original 2005 battery
I think you should pony up for a new one and not try to milk an 8 year old battery.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:44 PM
Vinnie T
Pro

Originally Posted by ZR1Cat
I think you should pony up for a new one and not try to milk an 8 year old battery.
1000%!

You've done VERY well getting 7-8 years out of a battery, but you are definitely at the far end of normal life expectancy.

Last edited by Vinnie T; 10-25-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:39 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Vinnie T
1000%!

You've done VERY well getting 7-8 years out of a battery, but you are definitely at the far end of normal life expectancy.
Everything I own lasts a long time.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:40 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jwf
Generally mine is amber for a while and then goes to green and seems to stay there. But that said, most of the time when I go to drive the car the light has been green; but once or twice I have gone to drive the car and have noticed that the light was amber but then after the drive when I hooked it back up it went amber and then green again. So I know the CTEK has different cycles and will give a short charge if the voltage dips so I just figured it was doing one of these things. Also one time the light was blinking and it turned out that my cigarette lighter plug was not seated properly and did not have a good connection.

This was typical of what mine did. One day though the LED indicator blinked red but then it returned to normal as above then to current status.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:43 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

replace the battery.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:47 PM
Force Corvette
Z06
Support Corvetteforum!

Mine stays green but if you open the door it goes back to amber for an hour. My vette is a 2009 with 1500 miles. I just bought it and can tell no one used a battery tender. Time for a new battery.....
Old 10-25-2013, 08:10 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

^^imo, you are right; it shouldn't take an hour to return to green. on my car, open the door, close it, maybe amber for 5 minutes.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:21 PM
NY3quartrs5-oh
Racer

if i read it correctly, it is flashing green (rapidly) under the amber? I have the 3300 and its hooked up to the mag charger. When i pull away and the mag charger disconnects it flashes green on the right side under the amber, so maybe it is not making a good connection?
Old 10-25-2013, 09:39 PM
NY3quartrs5-oh
Racer

My apologies. I just walked the dogs and noticed when disconnected it stays green and flashes amber. Different from what you're describing. Sorry
Old 10-26-2013, 07:29 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

I found out it was a power drain. Left the V-1 on by accident for 2 days
Luckily when V-1 was on the CTEK was plugged in that gave me this warning. Now battery is back up to normal.

Get notified of new replies

To CTEK battery charger unit light stays amber

Quick Reply: CTEK battery charger unit light stays amber