C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace / upgrade C6 2008 stock radio / head unit. Kenwood vs Pioneer

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Ryan33us
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace / upgrade C6 2008 stock radio / head unit. Kenwood vs Pioneer

I have been looking to upgrade my stock non bose radio with either a Kenwood DDX-470 or Pioneer 5500Bhs. I have found on here how to take off the center console and that kind of stuff. What would I need to buy other than the actually radio head unit itself to do the install on my own? Do the wire with the stock radio connect with the new one? Are there any other in depth threads with pictures of any one doing this? And how about the pioneer vs the kenwood, which do you think is better? Thanks!
Old 11-04-2013, 08:23 PM
noz34me
Pro

If you get the radio from a vendor like Crutchfield, they will supply the kit for the install and all the instructions you will need to do it.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:41 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

You are going to need a harness for a non-bose unit. There is a forum vendor (DD Mods) that actually sells these head units, pre-wired, so its a no brainer hookup.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Arsonone
Cruising

Default Radio install

Do yourself a favor and go to your local aftermarket audio shop, one with a reputation. I to was torn between doing it my self. Installing the head unit is a piece of cake. The correct wiring harness was my problem. It took 5 harnesses and 2 days for my audio shop to get me on the road. I have a 07 with no Bose, Nav, XM, or Onstar. The harness used was the one for a car equipped with Onstar. I went with Pioneer with factory speakers, sounds great, and the Bluetooth and audio streaming works great.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:54 PM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

I hate hiring anyone to work on my car or house. I enjoy doing things myself, taking my time and knowing it's done right. I however, know when I'm over my head. It's very complicated to install a HU if you have never done it before. Not impossible but you'll be pulling apart the dash a few times trying to get everything right. Especially if you want steering wheel controls, etc. You also will not get good sound until you replace the speakers and run dedicated amps with a good 8" sub.

Originally Posted by Arsonone
Do yourself a favor and go to your local aftermarket audio shop, one with a reputation. I to was torn between doing it my self. Installing the head unit is a piece of cake. The correct wiring harness was my problem. It took 5 harnesses and 2 days for my audio shop to get me on the road. I have a 07 with no Bose, Nav, XM, or Onstar. The harness used was the one for a car equipped with Onstar. I went with Pioneer with factory speakers, sounds great, and the Bluetooth and audio streaming works great.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:01 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

As far as AM/FM radio reception is it true that regardless of what system you have the reception won't be good because car is not a metal car?

Get notified of new replies

To How to replace / upgrade C6 2008 stock radio / head unit. Kenwood vs Pioneer

Quick Reply: How to replace / upgrade C6 2008 stock radio / head unit. Kenwood vs Pioneer