C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a Catch Can worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 12:17 PM
Pittcorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Is a Catch Can worth the money?

The pictures speak for themselves. I have an Elite Engineering Catch Can on my 2012 C6. This was the first time draining the catch can from my first oil change This a standard water bottle.
Name:  20131116_161453_zps9a281f9a.jpg
Views: 4035
Size:  35.0 KB

Name:  20131116_161447_zps86f92861.jpg
Views: 3861
Size:  43.7 KB

Last edited by Pittcorvette; 11-17-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:17 PM
noz34me
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simply put, no.

Catch Cans and the people that sell them are popular with enthusiasts that think a miniscule amount of oil run through the intake and burned, or allowed to pool in tiny places in the casting is an abomination.

It hurts nothing. Most high performance engines are designed this way.

If you like looking at some "bling" in the engine compartment- - if dumping out a few ounces of oil every few months is something you look forward to, then by all means buy and install a catch can.

Just don't buy one because someone selling them convinces you that you NEED one.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:24 PM
TTGTO600HP
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by noz34me
Simply put, no.

Catch Cans and the people that sell them are popular with enthusiasts that think a miniscule amount of oil run through the intake and burned, or allowed to pool in tiny places in the casting is an abomination.

If you like looking at some "bling" in the engine compartment- - if dumping out a few ounces of oil every few months is something you look forward to, then by all means buy and install a catch can.

Just don't buy one because someone selling them convinces you that you NEED one.
I tend to agree. I never used one on my TTGTO and never had any significant pooling in my charge pipes or intercooler. No horsepower loss and most definitely NO detonation.

2008 C6 Corvette- jet stream blue, black spider replica wheels, blacked out tails, lowered, corsa sport exhaust, headers, air raid intake,
Nitrous Outlet plate kit, tune.

2005 GTO with home made custom twin turbo kit 586hp 604tq. SOLD.

1995 Trans Am LT1 SOLD
Old 11-17-2013, 02:28 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Simply put, no.

I came to the same conclusion but bought one in a package deal of used C6 parts, then installed it. Like not having one, having one can't hurt anything, although I probably should've sold it.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:32 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

I have owned 3 LT5 engined ZR-1's. Those monsters with the 16 intake runners
could push a lot of oil in places not intended but there was never any harm done.
When the intake was removed things in there were not clean, but so what, no harm
was ever done. So no, you sure do not need one and other than for bling, just not required....
Old 11-17-2013, 02:35 PM
TTGTO600HP
Racer

I have heard people saying it causes detonation and therefore knock retard. my car was tuned with no knock what so ever without a catch can.

I cant be sure if it is or not worth it but has anyone actually had detonation because of oil in intake? Has anyone actually ruined a maf because it was caked in oil?

Or are people just listing off potential worst case symptoms from vendors who sell them?

2008 C6 Corvette- jet stream blue, black spider replica wheels, blacked out tails, lowered, corsa sport exhaust, headers, air raid intake,

1995 Trans Am LT1 SOLD
Old 11-17-2013, 05:01 PM
noz34me
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't tell you all how refreshing it is to hear these comments.

I have a Challenger as well, and over on that forum people are nearly rabid in the need to have one, and they don't want to hear any arguments otherwise. Of course, the vendors that sell them are the most rabid.

I always get a kick out of the guys that capture a couple ounces of oil over say 6K miles, they take pictures of it, they testify how happy they are they "caught" it all before it got in the intake- - yada yada yada. No one realizes just how microscopic those amounts are over 6K miles; how 2 oz. of oil diluted by 300 gallons of gas is nothing.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:25 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Interesting comments. Many will pay $300-400 for a CAI that isn't CAI and swear it payed for itself in a month. Just as many will swear a ported TB gave them at least 15hp.

I have one and it will NEVER "pay for itself". On the other hand, for those of us that are obsessed with getting one tenth of one second more from our car, knowing that the "minuscule" amount of oil that our can catches WON'T be the reason we were slower is good enough for us.

If you don't want one,,,,, don't buy one.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:28 PM
TTGTO600HP
Racer

You won't get a tenth from a catch can.

1995 Trans Am LT1 SOLD
Old 11-17-2013, 05:32 PM
TTGTO600HP
Racer

In fact if your that "obsessed" about a tenth you wouldn't want the extra pound or 2

1995 Trans Am LT1 SOLD
Old 11-17-2013, 05:42 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Simply put, no.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

I admit I don't know much about catch cans, but if they are necessary, why don't vettes come equipped with them from the factory, or do they?
Old 11-17-2013, 06:10 PM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Red08
I admit I don't know much about catch cans, but if they are necessary, why don't vettes come equipped with them from the factory, or do they?
The LS/C5 and C6 Corvettes do not come from the factory with PCV system oil catch cans......Interestingly enough, GM found it appropriate to state that the new C7 LT1 engine is something like 5 times better than the LS engines at separating the oil from the fumes prior to being routed back to the intake manifold.

I noticed that the COPO Camaro 427 engine does come from the factory with a catch can, but that is a car/engine built strickly for drag racing.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:50 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by TTGTO600HP
I have heard people saying it causes detonation and therefore knock retard. my car was tuned with no knock what so ever without a catch can.

I cant be sure if it is or not worth it but has anyone actually had detonation because of oil in intake? Has anyone actually ruined a maf because it was caked in oil?

Or are people just listing off potential worst case symptoms from vendors who sell them?

1995 Trans Am LT1 SOLD
Catch cans reduces or eliminates oil vapor in the combustion chamber. This oil vapor can reduce octane when atomized with fuel. If you are not experiencing K.R. (knock retard), then you should be fine.

I experienced K.R. and use the available 91 octane here in CA. So I had a custom tune performed to eliminate the K.R. I purchased a catch can as a preventative measure to eliminate or reduce oil vapor and carbon build up in the combustion chamber. Both of which can cause detonation, that is a fact. How do I know it works? My intake valley is no longer an oil slick! So I know oil vapor in my combustion chamber is eliminated or reduced all which contributes to maintaining a knock free engine.

The MAF sensor is located in the air intake. The catch can eliminates or reduces oil vapor that enters from inlet port below the throttle body and has no affect with oil on the MAF sensor. That would be an air filter with excessive oil.

Just to add:
GM redesigned the PCV system on the C7 which separates oil and air from the crankcase gases about 3 times better than the previous engines they built. I guess GM had room for improvement!

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 11-17-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:16 PM
TTGTO600HP
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3

Catch cans reduces or eliminates oil vapor in the combustion chamber. This oil vapor can reduce octane when atomized with fuel. If you are not experiencing K.R. (knock retard), then you should be fine.

I experienced K.R. and use the available 91 octane here in CA. So I had a custom tune performed to eliminate the K.R. I purchased a catch can as a preventative measure to eliminate or reduce oil vapor and carbon build up in the combustion chamber. Both of which can cause detonation, that is a fact. How do I know it works? My intake valley is no longer an oil slick! So I know oil vapor in my combustion chamber is eliminated or reduced all which contributes to maintaining a knock free engine.

The MAF sensor is located in the air intake. The catch can eliminates or reduces oil vapor that enters from inlet port below the throttle body and has no affect with oil on the MAF sensor. That would be an air filter with excessive oil.

Just to add:
GM redesigned the PCV system on the C7 which separates oil and air from the crankcase gases about 3 times better than the previous engines they built.

I understand the concern but this doesn't really prove it causes knock. You had knock because of 91 octane. We have 93 in Mass. If the oil caused knock you would not have been able to tune it out without cutting timing and power.

I was just wondering if anyone legitimately had an issue with I knock specifically because of oil in the intake. I understand the theory and that it "might" have or "could" have. Im looking for someone who can say it harmed their performance/engine. Maybe a dyno before and after. I have HEAVILY modified my ls cars for years without issues or engine damage from some oil in the intake. Thats not to say it won't have a negative effect so this is why im asking for experiences and numbers.

Nitrous Outlet plate kit 150 shot, tune.

1995 Trans Am LT1 SOLD

Last edited by TTGTO600HP; 11-17-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:20 PM
TTGTO600HP
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3

The MAF sensor is located in the air intake. The catch can eliminates or reduces oil vapor that enters from inlet port below the throttle body and has no affect with oil on the MAF sensor.
I was thinking the same thing, but certain vendors claim no catch can could harm your maf. Didn't make any sense

1995 Trans Am LT1 SOLD
Old 11-17-2013, 07:25 PM
Jim2003
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I have had a 97 Z-28 with a LT1, a 03 C5 with a LS1and my current 13 C6 with the LS3. None of them have needed a catch can. My opinion is that it is just another way that venders came up with an idea to cause rabid vette owners to spend their hard earned money. That is my .02 opinion.

Get notified of new replies

To Is a Catch Can worth the money?

Old 11-17-2013, 07:30 PM
TTGTO600HP
Racer

My car will be going in for another dyno tune for 150 shot. If someone wants to fund my catch can I will install it and see if the oil was "robbing" horsepower. I almost want to spend the 150 just to prove if it does or doesn't.

1995 Trans Am LT1 SOLD
Old 11-17-2013, 07:33 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim2003
I have had a 97 Z-28 with a LT1, a 03 C5 with a LS1and my current 13 C6 with the LS3. None of them have needed a catch can. My opinion is that it is just another way that venders came up with an idea to cause rabid vette owners to spend their hard earned money. That is my .02 opinion.
Has nothing to do with the corvette market. Catch cans are marketed for all makes/models of performance vehicles.

As was said above excess oil vapor can cause knock retard. If you don't know what I just said then chances are your stock setup will be fine.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:46 PM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

After seeing an LS intake manifold with a few miles on it off the car, I ordered a catch can.

No idea if it's "better" but I KNOW people looking for performance spend craploads of money porting and polishing to assist air flow.

The manifold I saw off the car had a lot of residual debris from oil that found its way into the manifold and baked there. Lots of small ridges and such all over.

Quick Reply: Is a Catch Can worth the money?