C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trunk latch question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 09:28 AM
oldtee
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default trunk latch question

Trunk has been opening on its own. Question is most likely solution. The assembly is made up of a striker, latch and switch as possible culperts.

The striker is pretty simple and does not look like it could be adjusted to solve this problem.

The latch looks like it is a pincher. I cannot tell if it has removable and replaceable parts. Assembly price is about $200 or so. Not sure of the complexity of replacing.

Do the switches fail?

Anyone with experience want to comment and offer solutions. Am thinking about wrapping the striker with electrical tape to give the latch a better chance of grabing.

Can anybody direct me to a better parts breakdown than shown on GMDirect.

Thanks

Last edited by oldtee; 11-28-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:51 AM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You'd need to diagnose whether it was caused by the latch not catching/closing completely due to wear or misalignment, or whether it was caused by inadvertent activation of the latch solenoid. First should be able to be cured by adjusting the mechanism; second might be more difficult to pin down the cause, but the first place I'd start would be the outside trunk button contacts being possibly shorted from corrosion.

Edit/Add: Another idea that occurred to me is the number of threads posted by people accidentally turning on the dome/mirror courtesy lights by bumping the dash switch with their knees. Could you possibly be unknowingly bumping the dash-mounted trunk button with your knee? Just a thought...

Last edited by icntdrv55; 11-28-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:09 AM
etaylor14
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I would try cleaning up the release button first. In the search type in( trunk release button repair) about half way down there is a post by talon90 with a step by step repair.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:32 AM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

Could you accidentally be depressing the release button on the fob?
Old 11-28-2013, 10:59 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Sunnyvale Dave
Could you accidentally be depressing the release button on the fob?

That's probably the most common, presuming it's happening while the car is parked and not being driven. It happened to us with our C5 and took a long time for me to figure out that it was "pilot error".

For a quick test, tape a thin but stiff piece of plastic over the front of the fob for a few days, see if that helps.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:10 AM
oldtee
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by icntdrv55
: Another idea that occurred to me is the number of threads posted by people accidentally turning on the dome/mirror courtesy lights by bumping the dash switch with their knees. Could you possibly be unknowingly bumping the dash-mounted trunk button with your knee? Just a thought...
Thanks all. This may well be my problem. I watched my knee as I exited today and it came very close to the switch. This may be it!

Get notified of new replies

To trunk latch question

Quick Reply: trunk latch question