C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

im 20 years old looking to buy a 08+ should i get auto or stick never drivin stick

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 05:37 PM
gustafsoncd
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me too, the "girlfriend" was so named by the wife. The vette is the only girl she will share me with, which is totally cool by me.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:43 PM
TachItUp
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So buy a Z06 and debadge it. She won't be able to tell the difference
Old 12-06-2013, 06:48 PM
ReckDalton
Advanced

Originally Posted by TachItUp
So buy a Z06 and debadge it. She won't be able to tell the difference
It's only going to say zo6 on the seats and when she looks over to see how fast I'm going she will see ZO6
Old 12-07-2013, 06:51 AM
shekmark427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

Stick! Buy it first, I promise someone at the dealer will teach you to use it. Its a lot harder to learn a CNC machine. They want to sell a car. Then, teach her to drive it. Nothing is hotter than a chick who can drive a stick!
Old 12-07-2013, 08:13 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Ask yourself this. If you were a dealership employee, would you let a 20 year old kid who may or may not be able to actually buy the car learn to drive stick on a vehicle that's yours? Let alone letting them drive the car at all, but letting them learn to drive stick on a car that costs $30k+, knowing fully well that if they break the car there's a damn good chance they'll never be able to recover the damages, and there's a very real possibility they'll lose their jobs?

Of course not.

If you want to learn stick, go spend a few thousand, buy a beater car with a stick, figure it out on that for a few months, then go in knowing how to drive stick.

And a 20 year old learning how to drive a stick in a 430hp car? Life insurance would be a good investment also. If you can afford a $50K car at 20 then you can afford to buy a beater stick to learn how to drive a stick and then move up to a ricer to learn how to control wheel spin and then a Mustang to learn how to handle sliding and finally you will have enough knowledge to not destroy the car in the first 6 months and possible kill yourself in the process. Does every kid have to repeat Paul Walker's lesson?
Old 12-07-2013, 08:18 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

You're 20 years old...and you listen to your girlfriend??? Hyundai Genesis coupes are nice....you should look into one of those.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:11 AM
twinarrow99
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ReckDalton
just want some info from people who know what there talking about
Hey Reck, looked at all the posts. You seem to be a hard working young soul with a promising future. I will make you an offer, I have driven manual tranny for 40+ years and have taught many as well. IF you are close to San Antonio, I will teach you on your car in short time. Agree, a CNC guy will pick this up in no time, but most of us salt and peppered (or fully gray) haired guys have learned the hard way to respect the horse power!! IMO, manual.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:47 AM
ReckDalton
Advanced

Originally Posted by twinarrow99
Hey Reck, looked at all the posts. You seem to be a hard working young soul with a promising future. I will make you an offer, I have driven manual tranny for 40+ years and have taught many as well. IF you are close to San Antonio, I will teach you on your car in short time. Agree, a CNC guy will pick this up in no time, but most of us salt and peppered (or fully gray) haired guys have learned the hard way to respect the horse power!! IMO, manual.
I'm in cypress your a lil ways away
Old 12-07-2013, 12:09 PM
1bigmf
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GotVett?
Yes she will. They love hot cars too. And, if she doesn't know how to drive stick either, even better.
Get the paddle shifters. Not as nice as an actual 6 speed but can have fun
Old 12-07-2013, 01:17 PM
BayouCountry
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I haven't owned a manual in many years until I bought my first vette. There is just something about hitting those gears that makes it more fun to drive. The main question to ask yourself is will you ever need your young lady to drive you home?
Old 12-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Lerxst
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My buddies (all Vette owners) and I always debate this. Most of us are purists and want a manual. I personally would Never buy a sports car with an auto (or excuse me "paddle shifters"). Yeah I get it, paddle shifters are always going to be faster I would never debate that fact.
There is something to be said, however, about shifting with a clutch and just listening to that awesome sound (especially if you have a nice exhaust system) of winding out each gear. That's just me. Even Jay Leno (every car guy's hero) said he thinks its great that Chevrolet retains the option of a true manual in the Vette. Most of the other imported exotics (to the best of my knowledge) only offer paddles. Correct? My next car (and probably last) thank goodness only comes in a true manual as well. That car is the Ford GT. It is far and away the car I truly hope to own one day.
Short answer - buy a stick. The few short months I drive my 427 to my office in the nice weather in the summer is in relatively heavy traffic on the xway and it never bothers me. Top down, tunes cranking --- life could be worse than having to downshift in stop and go traffic. These new clutch are very easy on the left leg.
Enjoy and good luck with your decision.
S -
Old 12-07-2013, 04:02 PM
LinxuSx
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by budgreen3564
Learn. Buy a stick
x2.

I'm 24, and this corvette is my first stick car. It just takes a few days to pick it up

Quick Reply: im 20 years old looking to buy a 08+ should i get auto or stick never drivin stick