C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What Color 427 Vert do you have
Artic White
33.02%
Blade Silver Metallic
4.72%
Inferno Orange Metallic
2.83%
Black
16.98%
Velocity Yellow Tintcoat
3.77%
Cyber Gray Metallic
7.55%
Torch Red
8.49%
Crystal Red Metallic
10.38%
Supersonic Blue
0.94%
Night Race Blue
11.32%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

427 Convertible Registry, Color Poll, and Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 03:46 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
I'm going to have to drive mine home about 700 miles. What do you recommend for temporary protection from road debris, and even bugs? Even if it is ugly, it is only temporary!

Anyone have a bra I can borrow for a 427 convertible?

I will possibly never use it again.

I'm leaning toward painter's tape unless I hear something better. I wish it were available in black!
get yourself a Novistretch bra.............. only would need to change out 10 screws on the front of each wheel opening and 2 on the lower front fascia, snap it on a should protect your front end..............

drove mine on a 3200 mile trip using one without any issues........
Old 10-14-2017, 08:15 PM
BLUEMEANIE
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Checking in after a wash and polish and sealer

Old 10-14-2017, 08:29 PM
Konadog06
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Beautiful car!
Bill
FL
Old 10-17-2017, 05:26 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts
Default 2013 427 60th Anniversary convertible clutch?

Finally sold my house, and started looking for a Vette!

I went to my local Chevy dealer, to see what they had available in a C6 vert with a 6sp manual. One car I saw online, a base car said it was a stick, but when I got there, it was paddle shifters.

The only C6 he had with a manual was a 13 427 60th Anniversary in Cyber grey with 15,000 miles on it! A gorgeous car!

So we went out for a test drive, and this is where my question comes in. The thing that I noticed about the clutch, is it isn't hard to depress, but coming up on the pedal in gear, the return spring is very strong and bouncy, and engagement into gear is very short, like turning a light switch on and off. I hope this makes sense, because I could not see myself driving this car very much in slow stop and go traffic. The only other way I can describe it, is hair trigger!

So is this normal for this model and trans? I assume that the trans/ clutch in this car is not the same as a base car.

The only other C6 that I drove was several years ago at this dealer, waiting for my Silverado to be serviced. It was a 2011, or 12 base convertible with 30 miles on it while waiting for the truck, and really didn't pay attention to the clutch.

I'm 69, and had quite a few shift cars over the years, including 4 60's GM muscle cars, so I think I know how to drive a manual.

If this is normal for the 427 manual, is it also normal for the base car? If so, I may reconsider buying an Auto!
Old 10-17-2017, 06:06 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't know that I would quite call it "hair trigger" but definitely different than the old linkage operated clutches, as these use a hydraulic system to operate the clutch.................. also agree that daily driving it in city traffic, stop and go, does make for a sore left leg...............

won't drive mine to work, as it is 35 miles through the city, stop and go all the way................. prefer to use my automatic transmission daily driver for that purpose................

base C6, GS, and Z06 all similar with manual transmissions too.........
The following users liked this post:
marinablu67 (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 08:21 PM
Konadog06
Racer

Originally Posted by marinablu67
Finally sold my house, and started looking for a Vette!

I went to my local Chevy dealer, to see what they had available in a C6 vert with a 6sp manual. One car I saw online, a base car said it was a stick, but when I got there, it was paddle shifters.

The only C6 he had with a manual was a 13 427 60th Anniversary in Cyber grey with 15,000 miles on it! A gorgeous car!

So we went out for a test drive, and this is where my question comes in. The thing that I noticed about the clutch, is it isn't hard to depress, but coming up on the pedal in gear, the return spring is very strong and bouncy, and engagement into gear is very short, like turning a light switch on and off. I hope this makes sense, because I could not see myself driving this car very much in slow stop and go traffic. The only other way I can describe it, is hair trigger!

So is this normal for this model and trans? I assume that the trans/ clutch in this car is not the same as a base car.

The only other C6 that I drove was several years ago at this dealer, waiting for my Silverado to be serviced. It was a 2011, or 12 base convertible with 30 miles on it while waiting for the truck, and really didn't pay attention to the clutch.

I'm 69, and had quite a few shift cars over the years, including 4 60's GM muscle cars, so I think I know how to drive a manual.

If this is normal for the 427 manual, is it also normal for the base car? If so, I may reconsider buying an Auto!
As a reference point for clutch pedal effort the depressing of the Z06 (427) clutch pedal takes approximately 22-24 pounds of effort.
A 1990 ZR-1 took 35-38 pounds of effort. The older muscle considerably more. The older muscle was mechanical linkage versus a hydraulic system of master and slave cylinder in the C4 and a master cylinder and hydraulic throughout bearing in our C6 cars.
As for the CL return on the car you test drove it doesn't sound normal to me. At a Chevrolet dealer, they usually have one tech that specializes in Corvettes, you might ask for someone that knows the C6 Corvette well to look at the situation. There have been issues with the clutch return spring in some C6's (it's on the pedal lever assy. under the dash). And there could be an issue with the clutch fluid needing a flush or the master cylinder itself looked at. There was a service bulletin regarding the clutch master cylinder in these cars.
They are really great cars and considerably easier to drive than anything back in the day.
Just some thoughts.
Bill
FL
Old 10-17-2017, 09:37 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

[QUOTE=Konadog06;1595784833]As a reference point for clutch pedal effort the depressing of the Z06 (427) clutch pedal takes approximately 22-24 pounds of effort.
A 1990 ZR-1 took 35-38 pounds of effort. The older muscle considerably more. The older muscle was mechanical linkage versus a hydraulic system of master and slave cylinder in the C4 and a master cylinder and hydraulic throughout bearing in our C6 cars.
As for the CL return on the car you test drove it doesn't sound normal to me. At a Chevrolet dealer, they usually have one tech that specializes in Corvettes, you might ask for someone that knows the C6 Corvette well to look at the situation. There have been issues with the clutch return spring in some C6's (it's on the pedal lever assy. under the dash). And there could be an issue with the clutch fluid needing a flush or the master cylinder itself looked at. There was a service bulletin regarding the clutch master cylinder in these cars.
They are really great cars and considerably easier to drive than anything back in the day.
Just some thoughts.
Bill
FL[/QUOTE

Bill, I don't have a problem depressing the clutch. If that were the case, I wouldn't even consider a manual. Once, coming out of first gear, the car shifts perfectly normal through the gears. The shifter is as smooth as can be!

The problem is coordinating the amount of throttle and clutch engagement in very slow starts. In other words, stopping and starting behind a very slow car stopping and starting every few feet, and never getting out of first gear without stalling or lurching!

The salesman's reasoning was that every car was different, but didn't see it as a problem!
This is one car, and I'm not giving up yet on the stick!

I just started looking, and suspect that it's going to take me a while to find the right car, paddles or clutch, but definitely will be buying one!
Old 10-17-2017, 11:34 PM
hdrider1
Burning Brakes

Received 505 Likes on 256 Posts

[QUOTE=marinablu67;1595785247]
Originally Posted by Konadog06
As a reference point for clutch pedal effort the depressing of the Z06 (427) clutch pedal takes approximately 22-24 pounds of effort.
Just some thoughts.
Bill
FL[/QUOTE

Bill, I don't have a problem depressing the clutch. If that were the case, I wouldn't even consider a manual. Once, coming out of first gear, the car shifts perfectly normal through the gears. The shifter is as smooth as can be!

The problem is coordinating the amount of throttle and clutch engagement in very slow starts. In other words, stopping and starting behind a very slow car stopping and starting every few feet, and never getting out of first gear without stalling or lurching!

The salesman's reasoning was that every car was different, but didn't see it as a problem!
This is one car, and I'm not giving up yet on the stick!

I just started looking, and suspect that it's going to take me a while to find the right car, paddles or clutch, but definitely will be buying one!
The engagement zone on the 427 felt pretty narrow when I first got the car, but you get used to it the more you drive it. I don't really think about it anymore, and really love the 427 convertible - couldn't think of owning a different Corvette now.
marinablu67 (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 09:07 AM
marinablu67
Drifting

[QUOTE=hdrider1;1595785980]

The engagement zone on the 427 felt pretty narrow when I first got the car, but you get used to it the more you drive it. I don't really think about it anymore, and really love the 427 convertible - couldn't think of owning a different Corvette now.

This may be true, and I probably would get use to it, but it doesn't mean that I would enjoy driving it for hours in stop and go traffic on a road trip vacation coming into or going out of a big city!

I seem to remember reading somewhere(maybe this forum), about a similar return spring problem, and the resolve was to install a C5 return spring, which has less tension. I wonder if this would help in this situation?
Old 10-18-2017, 10:37 AM
Konadog06
Racer

I realized your issue was with the release. Was just giving some general background on the clutch effort involved. The clutch engagement disengagement point may be a little sharper than some but shouldn't be anything close to not being able to make a nice slow release at slow speeds. Driving any stick in rush hour type traffic can have its own liabilities.
I still think that particular car should see more opinions. Easiest solution as you mentioned would be find another to try.
The reason I mention the clutch fluid flush is a 2013 car is now four years old and moisture and slime build in our clutch hydraulic fluid which usually see very little attention. It can cause sponginess and complicate the engagement disengagement process depending how bad it is. If you pop the M/C cap the fluid will be black with residue on the bottom of the reservoir. That happens very quickly let alone many years later. As a side note, one effort in CL maintenance is to siphon the fluid out of the reservoir and refill with fresh fluid every time you change the oil. There are only a couple of ounces involved.
Good luck on your search.
Bill
FL
Old 10-18-2017, 01:40 PM
hdrider1
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=marinablu67;1595787097]
Originally Posted by hdrider1

This may be true, and I probably would get use to it, but it doesn't mean that I would enjoy driving it for hours in stop and go traffic on a road trip vacation coming into or going out of a big city!

I seem to remember reading somewhere(maybe this forum), about a similar return spring problem, and the resolve was to install a C5 return spring, which has less tension. I wonder if this would help in this situation?
I don't know of any stick shift that's going to be comfortable in hours of stop and go traffic. If that's normal for your vacations then either you need to re-plan the itinerary to avoid rush hour traffic, bite the bullet and enjoy a wonderful car for those times you're not in stop and go traffic, or get a different car with an automatic.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:23 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

[QUOTE=hdrider1;1595788888]

I don't know of any stick shift that's going to be comfortable in hours of stop and go traffic. If that's normal for your vacations then either you need to re-plan the itinerary to avoid rush hour traffic, bite the bullet and enjoy a wonderful car for those times you're not in stop and go traffic, or get a different car with an automatic.

Thank you for your input, and I realize that the 427 only comes with the manual! When I said paddle or clutch that I was buying a C6 Vette, I meant that I would be perfectly happy with a base convertible auto, if need be! In the mean time I will continue to check out what's available, until I find what I like!
Old 10-18-2017, 06:09 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=marinablu67;1595789921]

Thank you for your input, and I realize that the 427 only comes with the manual! When I said paddle or clutch that I was buying a C6 Vette, I meant that I would be perfectly happy with a base convertible auto, if need be! In the mean time I will continue to check out what's available, until I find what I like!
Good luck in your search for the perfect one for you!
marinablu67 (10-18-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 09:54 AM
hdrider1
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=marinablu67;1595789921]

If you like the looks of the 427 but want an automatic, I might suggest that you look at a Grand Sport Convertible. Technically the 427 Convertible is a Grand Sport with the Z06 engine and drive train.
marinablu67 (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 04:25 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

[QUOTE=rkj427;1595790568]

Good luck in your search for the perfect one for you!

Thanks, but I have an update!

You said all the manual transmissions in the various models were the same! You're correct! I did some research, and from 08 on the base and ZO6 all use the same Tremec TR6060 designated MM6, and the Z51 MZ6(different gear ratios) trans.

This morning, I took an 09 base coupe Z51, 6sp manual out for a test drive with only 19K on it! I'm so glad that I gave the manual a second chance! This was the way the clutch should have been in the 60th Anniversary 427 convertible! A true pleasure to drive. the clutch was easy to depress, came up smoothly and at slow parking lot speed, starting off, went into first at low RPMs smoothly without any effort or thought.

After driving a car with the LS3, it's more than enough for me, so I'm going to narrow my search to either a GS or base Z51 6sp manual convertible!
Old 10-19-2017, 04:39 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Does anyone know why in the quote box the "Originally Posted by" has the wrong user name? The last quote by rkj427 has my user name instead of his. Very strange!
Old 10-22-2017, 01:14 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by MARM
Gotta respect the 427.
https://vimeo.com/117749804
Sorry to see you go

Get notified of new replies

To 427 Convertible Registry, Color Poll, and Discussion

Old 10-22-2017, 01:29 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

I made some changes to my 427 recently.

I changed out the OEM navi for a Kenwood DNX994S with front and rear cameras. I bought the kit from Dennis at Double D Mods and had it installed at SRQ Audio in Sarasota. The installers did an awesome job!
I also had Joseph Stern at ECO detailing in Sarasota take the car and do a complete "paint correction" removing all the swirl marks - of which there were many after 5 years and apply a 5 year Ceramic Coating from igl coatings. One pic below and more on the C6 Gen section https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1595813139
Attached Images   

Last edited by johnodrake; 10-22-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:38 PM
uloozer
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Question.... Which stripe is correct? Was thinking of doing something custom with my console lid that would extend the stripe through the lid but discovered different stripe configurations. Just thought it was rather odd and I know someone here would know something about it.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:48 AM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

Figured this would be a good place to post this...

I have a brand new set of GM authentic 427 floor mats, NEVER USED, part has been discontinued - was $170 new but I'm only looking to get $100 plus shipping for them. Planned to use them for car shows but never got into the circuit much.

These mats are literally 1/2 of what the heritage package was.

Shoot me a PM if anyone is interested

Quick Reply: 427 Convertible Registry, Color Poll, and Discussion