C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension or Tire Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Suspension or Tire Problem?

Just out of the blue I noticed that when I get up to 80mph+ the car will start a self induced body roll. The best way to describe it is while keeping the car straight on a smooth road it'll start wobbling side to side. It's as if I were lightly turning the wheel back and forth to induce body roll. It gets worse and worse the faster I go. Thoughts?

Car is still on stock suspension despite my signature. The Michelin Super Sports I've had on for over 8000 miles without a problem before. Any ideas?

This is stock non-Z51 no magnetic ride suspension.

I am putting in JOC Stage 1 soon and was going to see what happens but in the mean time what induced this to randomly happen? Car before I got well into the triple digits on this exact setup and was smooth as can be at speed.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:53 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I would have the tires rebalanced and checked for out of round/bent rim. That cured it for me.

GL
Old 01-21-2014, 11:33 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Too much "slop" in something like wheel bearings, steering gear, etc?

One or more shocks gone bad?

Front or rear spring failing?
Old 01-21-2014, 11:37 AM
bill K
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

How many miles are on the car.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:50 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Obviously, the problem could be any number of things. I'd start with the simplest things first. Visually inspect each tire for signs of abnormal wear. As mentioned, check each wheel/tire to make sure they're balanced and 'round.' Inspect the suspension components (including sway bars) to make sure everything tight and torqued to spec. Make sure the control arm bolts are tight (I had the left rear upper control arm bolt come loose and it made for some 'strange' handling around corners at the track). Have the alignment done. It sounds like a wheel, tire or alignment issue but if those and the suspension components all check out you'll need further diagnostics. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension or Tire Problem?

Quick Reply: Suspension or Tire Problem?