C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any success with Zip lowering bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 06:46 AM
Shark II
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Any success with Zip lowering bolts?

I was wondering if anyone has actually had success with the Zip lowering bolts on the C6s. I've heard many horror stories about other bolts but haven't heard much about Zip's. Durable, reliable, long lasting? Any first hand experience would be great! Thanks in advance.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:55 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Zip, WCC or any of the other vendors, these are most likely nthe same bolts. Most vendors do not make their own products, but buy them from different suppliers. Not I am not saying that I am certain that they are all the same, but I doubt there are that many different versions going around.

Now I have heard both good and bad. The people that say theyy are not having any issue claim that you must use the proper type of greese when you install them. Maybe a few people that have them will chime in and give you better info.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:48 AM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

I've got my lowering bolts from Zip, and they have been on my 427 Convertible for about 6,000 miles and they are doing fine, and show no wear/problems what so ever. I made sure the control arm was clean and free of rocks/dirt before the install, and I also lubricated the control arm contact area as well as the lowering bolt pad with NAPA Silicone grease before installation. I've tracked the car for 25 laps on a 1.3 mile road course as well as 25 laps @ Talladega Motor Speedway since the installation, so it isn't like they haven't been tested some.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:16 AM
Shark II
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the info, that's good to hear. I've found a lot of threads about the failure of the WCC bolts but not much info on Zip. I guess that's a good thing if there's not any complaint threads out there on Zip. I'll be sure to grease properly.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:59 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
Zip, WCC or any of the other vendors, these are most likely nthe same bolts. Most vendors do not make their own products, but buy them from different suppliers. Not I am not saying that I am certain that they are all the same, but I doubt there are that many different versions going around.

Now I have heard both good and bad. The people that say theyy are not having any issue claim that you must use the proper type of greese when you install them. Maybe a few people that have them will chime in and give you better info.
Not the case. Actually that entire statement is pretty far from the truth. Most of the big catalog companies make allot of their own parts. Of course we also carry other companies parts that they manufacture also. However all of us got our start by manufacturing and we still manufacture.
Just like the C6 lowering kit. We designed it and we make it. It has been copied by several companies who always like to leave something out or take it to China where something gets left out and it is made of cheaper stuff. Our lowering kits are manufactured, and assembled in the United States, actually the assembly is done here. The bolts are custom made for me at a Machine shop right down the street and start like from a billet rod of 4140 hardened steel. The poly cushions were designed by us and I have them made for my by Energy Suspension, obviously they are proprietary to ZIP. The only issue we have with ours has been installation issues, ie installed after someone else damaged the control arm or they were running on steel bolts and then when to our kit and it had already damaged the control arms. The arms have to be clean of any burrs in the aluminum or else with the weight of the car those burrs will cut right through the poly pad.
Justin
Old 02-13-2014, 02:25 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
Not the case. Actually that entire statement is pretty far from the truth. Most of the big catalog companies make allot of their own parts. Of course we also carry other companies parts that they manufacture also. However all of us got our start by manufacturing and we still manufacture.
Just like the C6 lowering kit. We designed it and we make it. It has been copied by several companies who always like to leave something out or take it to China where something gets left out and it is made of cheaper stuff. Our lowering kits are manufactured, and assembled in the United States, actually the assembly is done here. The bolts are custom made for me at a Machine shop right down the street and start like from a billet rod of 4140 hardened steel. The poly cushions were designed by us and I have them made for my by Energy Suspension, obviously they are proprietary to ZIP. The only issue we have with ours has been installation issues, ie installed after someone else damaged the control arm or they were running on steel bolts and then when to our kit and it had already damaged the control arms. The arms have to be clean of any burrs in the aluminum or else with the weight of the car those burrs will cut right through the poly pad.
Justin
I stand corrected. Thank you foer the info.

Get notified of new replies

To Any success with Zip lowering bolts?

Quick Reply: Any success with Zip lowering bolts?