C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lithium battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 01:38 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 548chevelle
SSB PowerSport Lithium Ion Polymer Batteries are an extremely light weight battery designed for starting applications and are a completely dry battery making them spill-proof and leak-proof. You have to pick one up for yourself to truly understand how light they actually are compared to normal lead acid batteries. They are truly amazing.

A normal lead acid motorcycle battery is designed to last for 200 – 300 cycles, whereas SSB PowerSport Lithium Batteries are designed to last for over 2,000 cycles (more than 10 Years design life). In addition, they can sit unused for over a year without losing charge and can also be charged extremely quickly without damaging the battery.

Unlike many other lithium batteries, SSB PowerSport Lithium Batteries are made using prismatic cells making them not only safe to use, but also boasts higher CCA (cold cranking amps), better cyclic properties and have a longer life. We are aware of only one other brand of lithium starting battery that uses prismatic cells. Other brands generally use cylindrical cells and while they may be a little cheaper due to lower manufacturing costs, they are inferior and are not designed for starting vehicles.

SSB PowerSport is the Pioneer of lithium starting batteries in Australia. We were the first and we are the best. We have been researching, testing and using lithium batteries for over 5 years. We have also purchased and tested almost every other major brand of lithium starting batteries from around the world and have designed SSB PowerSport batteries to be more superior in every aspect. Basically our lithium batteries are the most powerful and lightest lithium starting batteries in the world. While there may be other brands using similar battery cases (even similar colours), be assured that if it doesn’t have the SSB PowerSport logo, it does not offer the same capacity as our lithium batteries.

SSB PowerSport Lithium Batteries are also one of the only Lithium Ion Polymer Batteries that can be charged using normal 12V car battery chargers / alternators. SSB PowerSport Lithium Batteries are also 100% organic, fully recyclable and pollution free, making them an excellent green energy source.

All SSB PowerSport Lithium Batteries come with a true industry leading full 2 year money back guarantee. Do not be fooled by other brands that only offer a 2 year pro-rata warranty. A pro-rata warranty is not a full warranty. For example with a pro-rate warranty you might get 6 months full warranty and then 50% refund if the battery fails from 6 – 12 months and then 25% refund if the battery fails between 12 months - 24 months. SSB PowerSport Lithium Batteries come with a full 2 Year Money Back Guarantee, no questions asked.

We also sell and develop lightweight Lithium Batteries for Professional Race Cars, Race Bikes, Speed Boats Drag Cars & Drag Bikes. Pound for pound, SSB PowerSport Lithium Batteries are the most cost effective way to reduce weight in your vehicle. Our lithium batteries are also designed to have a slightly higher voltage than regular lead acid batteries resulting in a boost in the vehicles performance and response time. We seek regular feedback from people that use our batteries, especially from professional race teams. They all say the same thing “I can’t believe how fast the vehicle starts and how much better everything responds”.
Very interesting post(s)!
Are you from Australia? Are you a distributer of these batteries? If so, do you ship to Europe?
I found the following web site via Google: http://www.superstart.com.au/Product...5/Default.aspx.
Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
jballard (02-24-2017)
Old 02-19-2014, 05:15 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

There have been enough lithium battery fires, both single use cells and rechargables, that I'd want to do a lot of research to gain the equivilant of 2 hp.

Every time someone thinks they have the battery fire problem solved, a new type of problem comes up. Just ask Boeing about their 787...
Old 02-19-2014, 05:41 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I don't think...no...I know, I will never pay $586 for a car battery. Not in my lifetime. Not no, but H**L no.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:42 PM
vettman96
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

As has been stated, the charging system needs to avoid overcharging a LI battery, as the heat generated will melt the matrix, but also when a LI battery combusts, stand back, it will be violent...........
Old 02-20-2014, 12:32 AM
Storx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
I spoke with the rep for these in length at a trade show, they suggested not using them for daily driven usage. They are more for an all out race application.

Impressive though, it's weird to pick up a battery that size and it being so light.
I am happy with mine, if it can start my diesel motor without a problem for this long.. heck im happy with the money i spent.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:47 PM
548chevelle
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Storx
I am happy with mine, if it can start my diesel motor without a problem for this long.. heck im happy with the money i spent.
Storx are you saying you're using an SSB battery? If so which one and how long have you had it?
Old 02-20-2014, 01:36 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by c6vette
Who needs a $500plus battery. I have a Sears Plat for 10 years , cost me $196.
now that's funny..................do you know what the word 'inflation' means ?? ............ so, ten years ago you spent $196.......what would that be today .......

Regardless, the thread objective is to cover all the benefits and yes there is a 'cost' associated with them.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:22 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikado463
now that's funny..................do you know what the word 'inflation' means ?? ............ so, ten years ago you spent $196.......what would that be today .......

Regardless, the thread objective is to cover all the benefits and yes there is a 'cost' associated with them.
That would be about $242 today.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:57 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Using an average price index for 2004 and 4Q/13 I get $250.36.

But spending 2 minutes going to Sears I find that the Die Hard Platinum Automotive battery is currently selling for $206.99 so it looks like Sears isn't keeping up with inflation. Personally, I wouldn't call that "well in excess of $200".
Old 02-21-2014, 12:26 PM
Storx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 548chevelle
Storx are you saying you're using an SSB battery? If so which one and how long have you had it?
I have one of these on my DD which is a VW DIESEL engine, I have had zero problems with it starting the diesel engine in below 0 F temps with its 500CCA... the benefit of this battery is that its rated up to 13.6V as standard storage voltage, with my alternator putting out 14.2V while driving.. it actually stops charging at 13.6V instead of 12.8V that my old battery stopped charging past. So when i start the car, the actual starter turns faster due to the higher voltage.

Click the image to open in full size.
Weight: 1611 grams (3.5 lbs.)
Voltage (Charged): 13.6V
Amperage: 9.2Amp/Hour
Burst Cranking Amps: 500amps

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BALLISTIC-PE...-/161217203480

I have had mine for 2 years now with no issues, I bought it back when it was $300, but now they can be bought as low as $224 shipper which is about the same cost as a typical Lead Acid battery, I bought it because i have a custom compound turbo setup on my car and i wanted to hide the battery inside the bumper... which this battery barely fit.. but did fit.

Quick Reply: Lithium battery