C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch spring

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 08:03 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Default Clutch spring

2013 GS, I was going to replace my clutch spring with a C5 one, but when I searched it I saw posts about a TSB not recommending it due to a "compensation port". However, most of the posts are 5+ years old, so my question is to those who have done this mod; have you had any clutch problems afterward ? How long ago/miles/usage since you did ? Overall opinions ?
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:29 PM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
2013 GS, I was going to replace my clutch spring with a C5 one, but when I searched it I saw posts about a TSB not recommending it due to a "compensation port". However, most of the posts are 5+ years old, so my question is to those who have done this mod; have you had any clutch problems afterward ? How long ago/miles/usage since you did ? Overall opinions ?
Thanks in advance.
The only TSB I've seen is the one recommending to not remove the spring entirely. If you've seen a specific one about switching out the C6 spring for the C5, I'd be interested to see it. I switched out to a C5 spring and prefer the feel to the C6.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:33 PM
lavla
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 180 Posts

I've had six Corvettes to include a 2002 coupe, 2005 coupe and, now, 2013 GS; all manual. The only one that experienced a broken clutch spring was my 2005. I used the clutch a lot on all three, especially when driving to Florida from New Jersey and getting stuck in I95 traffic along with doing the Ranger Method of changing the clutch fluid (pressing the clutch 30-40 times every time I drew out the old and installed the new clutch fluid).

I think I'll leave well enough alone for now.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:39 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CrvtBB
The only TSB I've seen is the one recommending to not remove the spring entirely. If you've seen a specific one about switching out the C6 spring for the C5, I'd be interested to see it. I switched out to a C5 spring and prefer the feel to the C6.
I don't know how to post the link, just Google "C6 clutch pedal spring" and go to the 1st result "broken clutch pedal spring" it is from CF, but way back it 2010.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:56 PM
LoneStarFlyer
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
I don't know how to post the link, just Google "C6 clutch pedal spring" and go to the 1st result "broken clutch pedal spring" it is from CF, but way back it 2010.
2006 z51 here. Took my spring out in late 2006, never replaced it, no problems so far. I prefer the slightly harder clutch action…feels more linear to me. 12k miles since I removed the spring. I periodically use the Ranger method of cleaning out the dirty clutch oil in the reservoir.
The following users liked this post:
Patsgarage (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 09:17 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I don't think I saved it in my files, but the TSB was more of a warning that it would impact warranty IIRC. Not sure how a clutch is under warranty, but that was what I thought it was all about. It (the C6 spring) does supposedly provide return of the pedal which affects the life of the clutch, and maybe indirectly (or directly) the life of the trans*. I haven't removed mine, but understand it does create a better "feel," or maybe a different feel.

*Now that I think about it, that may have been the warning re potential claims for the trans where the clutch spring has been removed completely/changed to a different spring.

Last edited by AORoads; 02-01-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:23 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

I am not thinking about completely removing the spring, just changing it to the C5 one, just to try and improve the "feel" of the pedal.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:28 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Here is the 2008 TSB on the clutch spring:

Subject: Removal of the Clutch Over Center Spring

Models: 1997-2004 Chevrolet C5 Corvette

2005-2008 Chevrolet C6 Corvette

Equipped with a Manual Transmission

Condition/Concern:
It appears that some Corvette owners are removing or disconnecting the clutch over center spring on their vehicles.

This is not a recommended practice and customers should be advised of the implications of such an action.

Recommendation/Instructions:
The clutch master cylinder has a compensation port that is positioned within 1 MM of the top of the stroke. The compensation port allows internal pressure in the clutch hydraulic system to be exhausted into the master cylinder and also provides for system refill as the clutch disc wears.

One purpose of the over center spring is to return the clutch pedal to the very top of the stroke to expose the compensation port. The second purpose of the spring is to provide for the designed clutch pedal feel.

Removing or disconnecting the spring may allow the clutch pedal to hang in an at rest position with the piston short of the compensation port. If the internal pressure is not exhausted the CSC may get stroked too far and a clutch hydraulic system failure may result. The C5 clutch hydraulic systems were built by AP. The C6 systems were manufactured by FTE. Also, the pedal must be in the full up position, with the compensation port exposed, to bleed properly.

Anytime a dealer gets a hydraulic system complaint, the tech should inspect to insure that the spring is in place and properly connected. Related customer complaints might include poor shift performance, improper clutch release or transmission synchronizer damage.

I attached a PDF which includes most of the threads and posts and TSB from years ago.
If nothing else, it a decent read of the discussion, etc. (click on the link inside the PDF)
Attached Images

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 02-01-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:18 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

I think the recommendation if you don't have the spring in is to occasionally lift the clutch pedal all the way to the top with your foot since it won't come up the last 1/4" or so on its own.

I've had my spring out for 2 years and pick the pedal up with my foot about once per drive out of habit and have had no issues.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:45 PM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarFlyer
2006 z51 here. Took my spring out in late 2006, never replaced it, no problems so far. I prefer the slightly harder clutch action…feels more linear to me. 12k miles since I removed the spring. I periodically use the Ranger method of cleaning out the dirty clutch oil in the reservoir.
Same here , removed it back in 06 , 38000 miles , no problems . Better "old school" clutch feel .
Old 02-05-2016, 10:28 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SEVINN
I think the recommendation if you don't have the spring in is to occasionally lift the clutch pedal all the way to the top with your foot since it won't come up the last 1/4" or so on its own.

I've had my spring out for 2 years and pick the pedal up with my foot about once per drive out of habit and have had no issues.
Originally Posted by REVAK
Same here , removed it back in 06 , 38000 miles , no problems . Better "old school" clutch feel .
Originally Posted by LoneStarFlyer
Thanks guys, this is exactly the feedback that I was looking for.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch spring

Quick Reply: Clutch spring