C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carnauba over Zaino

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 01:57 PM
glerma
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Carnauba over Zaino

Has anyone ever applied carnauba over Zaino or any other synthetic? How was your result? I wonder if it would hamper the adhesion of subsequent Zaino layers. I read many opinions that, while carnauba doesn't last as long, its shine is deeper.

Last edited by glerma; 03-22-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:06 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

I have used carnauba over Rejex with great results. Not sure how it effects adhesion of future Zaino applications.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:35 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In the past I used to top off Rejex and/or PoorBoy's EX-P with either Natty's Blue or Pinnacle. This year I'm not doing a top coat of any Nuba. I have done test patches on the sealant and I really don't see any improvement. The real trick is to prep the finish well before any sealants or waxes are applied, i.e. polish the heck out of it to make it shinny first.

I believe Zaino does not recommend putting any carnauba over their sealant but you can keep putting on more coats of Zaino to build up the finish.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:02 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Cybernetic Medic
In the past I used to top off Rejex and/or PoorBoy's EX-P with either Natty's Blue or Pinnacle. This year I'm not doing a top coat of any Nuba. I have done test patches on the sealant and I really don't see any improvement. The real trick is to prep the finish well before any sealants or waxes are applied, i.e. polish the heck out of it to make it shinny first.

I believe Zaino does not recommend putting any carnauba over their sealant but you can keep putting on more coats of Zaino to build up the finish.
That could be because Zaino doesn't sell a carnauba wax, not necessarily because it's a bad thing to do.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:19 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
That could be because Zaino doesn't sell a carnauba wax, not necessarily because it's a bad thing to do.
It's been discussed and tired on this and other forums with mixed reviews.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/car-...zaino-wax.html

You probably just have to try it with the nuba of your choice and see if you like the results.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:28 PM
glerma
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Cybernetic Medic
It's been discussed and tired on this and other forums with mixed reviews.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/car-...zaino-wax.html

You probably just have to try it with the nuba of your choice and see if you like the results.
Good point... I may do that.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:35 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Not usually a good idea to mix products.

A carnauba over Zaino may or may not be helpful.

What will happen though is a problem applying another layer of Zanio.

A thorough cleaning would more than likely be warranted to remove the wax.

Last edited by Boomer111; 03-22-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:21 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

You can use wax over Zaino if you want to. They don't recommend it because Zaino lasts longer than wax. If you put another layer of Zaino over your wax in theory it won't last as long as it should because the wax will break down before the Zaino hence removing the Zaino prematurely.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:57 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just didi it today - aplied a thin coat of Carnauba over Zaino Z5 and it looks great. Sort of like a belt and suspenders.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:32 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by glerma
Has anyone ever applied carnauba over Zaino or any other synthetic? How was your result? I wonder if it would hamper the adhesion of subsequent Zaino layers. I read many opinions that, while carnauba doesn't last as long, its shine is deeper.
If you put wax over Zaino a "mushroom Cloud" will appear and all living things for 5 miles around will die.

Clif
Old 03-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Ekul61
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Auto Geek has a 1800 number with some very sharp guys. There tech support and product knowledge is better than mequiars.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:53 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Ekul61
Auto Geek has a 1800 number with some very sharp guys. There tech support and product knowledge is better than mequiars.
I can tell you what they say. Topping a sealant with any quality wax such as Blackfire or Pinnacle enhances finish.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:12 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

On the CRM C6, I put on several layers of Z5 and Z2. Result was a lot of light reflection and not a lot of color showing through in bright lights. Wanting the color to come through more, I put a coat of nuba wax over the Zaino and the color started to get a little warmer. The best stuff I've tried so far is Blackfire Midnight Sun Ivory - just a very nice smooth shine, with the warmth of the CRM coming through quite nicely. I've just ordered one of the ceramic nano nuba stuff so we'll see how that works. Don't plan on using any more Zaino on the C6.

On the MY C5, Z2 really puts a nice shine on the yellow. I haven't put any wax over the MY and don't plan to.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:15 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by pickleseimer
On the CRM C6, I put on several layers of Z5 and Z2. Result was a lot of light reflection and not a lot of color showing through in bright lights. Wanting the color to come through more, I put a coat of nuba wax over the Zaino and the color started to get a little warmer. The best stuff I've tried so far is Blackfire Midnight Sun Ivory - just a very nice smooth shine, with the warmth of the CRM coming through quite nicely. I've just ordered one of the ceramic nano nuba stuff so we'll see how that works. Don't plan on using any more Zaino on the C6.

On the MY C5, Z2 really puts a nice shine on the yellow. I haven't put any wax over the MY and don't plan to.
Blackfire is really good stuff. I use Black Ice...my car is Black and the Black Ice is also. Makes for killer finish.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:02 AM
mikemc59
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After many years of being a Zaino user, I decided to try and mix things up a little, experimenting on the wives car..... Here is the process I used taking about 5.5 hours in 74 degree weather today. Ultimately I ended up putting a layer of Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba Wax over 2x coats of Zaino Z5. Here's the grocery list from today:

- Washed car with Dawn soap
- Clay bar entire car
- Applied 3M Perfect-It II Foam Polishing Pad Glaze - Dark
- Applied Chemical Guys Black Light Hybrid Radiant Finish
- Washed car with Zaino car wash
- Applied Zaino Z5 (2x coats)
- Applied Zaino Clear Seal
- Applied Zaino Z-8 Grand Finale Seal Spray (applied while CS was still curing)
- Applied Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba Wax

Used a mix of Zaino and Autogeek all cotton and microfiber towels for drying, polishing, buffing etc....

After Zaino Z5 was applied

After Pinnacle Souveran applied

Last edited by mikemc59; 03-24-2014 at 02:17 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Carnauba over Zaino

Quick Reply: Carnauba over Zaino