C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting the GS ready for the season

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 05:47 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Well....it's back. I know we hall seen a thousand C6s and countless Corvettes. But, when it is yours....it special. Took a couple pictures to demonstrate the reflective qualities of a what I have done. Notice the hand shot, with the trees in the background, like a mirror.

Tomorrow the 3M Ultra Clear Bra, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires, DBA Rotors...

To those of you that have been following....thanks and stay tuned.
Attached Images       
Old 04-24-2014, 09:44 AM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Update 24 April 2014...

Since we last chatted,

The Clear Body Aromor was a bust, they ordered the wrong kit, so that is on stand-by until the correct kit come in.

I have gotten the Mechilin Pilot Sport Cup ZR tires mounted on the GS rims so I am track ready.

I ordered the GS Badges from American Hydrocarbon, they will be Crystal Red Carbon Fiber, with the GS in Metallic Silver, and the rest of the letters in ZR1 Blue.

Next I'm on "Mike the Powdercoaters" schedule for 12/13 May to get my calpers powercoated ZR1 Blue with Silver Metallic "CORVETTE".

I have recieved from CorvetteMods shipping notice that the GS Badged Lloyd mats and cargo mat in cashmere have been shipped. Along with my Show and Shine eye candy Z06 Replica Rims also shipped.

Thanks for following and remember to stay tuned in at the same Bat Channel...

Last edited by Boxcar; 04-24-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:28 AM
97Z28M6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxcar
Well....it's back. I know we hall seen a thousand C6s and countless Corvettes. But, when it is yours....it special. Took a couple pictures to demonstrate the reflective qualities of a what I have done. Notice the hand shot, with the trees in the background, like a mirror.

Tomorrow the 3M Ultra Clear Bra, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires, DBA Rotors...

To those of you that have been following....thanks and stay tuned.
Great looking GS! I imagine the pics don't do it justice. BTW, I'm really curious about the ballpark cost of getting the car wet-sanded and polished. I'm really considering doing the same for my GS. Mind sharing the figure?
Old 04-24-2014, 10:58 AM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by 97Z28M6
Great looking GS! I imagine the pics don't do it justice. BTW, I'm really curious about the ballpark cost of getting the car wet-sanded and polished. I'm really considering doing the same for my GS. Mind sharing the figure?
When Mike, my paint guy, said $350, I said done. No BS...$350

That included, taping all the seems, so no sanding wash got into the hood, cargo door jams. The pictures tells the story there. Then took extra care with the front, rear and top which have a different finish because it is the rubber/flexable finish. All and all I am very pleased. If I had to do it again...would I? Yes all day long.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:16 PM
97Z28M6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxcar
When Mike, my paint guy, said $350, I said done. No BS...$350

That included, taping all the seems, so no sanding wash got into the hood, cargo door jams. The pictures tells the story there. Then took extra care with the front, rear and top which have a different finish because it is the rubber/flexable finish. All and all I am very pleased. If I had to do it again...would I? Yes all day long.
Wow that's an incredible deal! I hope I'm able to find someone to provide that level of service for around that price in my area!
Old 04-24-2014, 12:49 PM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Looks great!
Old 05-05-2014, 10:26 AM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Saggy Seat Repair...

Hello to everyone,

Back from the track and had a great time.

I have received my Lloyds Cashmere GS Logo cargo mat and floor mats. They look awesome, and add a clean finish to the interior. I also put the Grand Sport Visor label over the big white ugly label. Like that....thanks D Specialties. Sorry no pic...yet.

Over the weekend I did the "saggy" seat repair kits. It took three hours for both seats. Here is what I learned.

1. Not to insult anyone. The easiest way to remove seats is to first lift the seat as high as it will go using the power seat switch. Next, seat forward, remove rear nuts, seat back remove front nuts, center seat on track. In the front you should be able to undo one of the power boxes. I was able to, so I'm thinking you too. From here follow the provided instructions.

2. Don't buy a kit for the passenger seat, not necessary. There is Jute pad and a hard plastic structure under the foam. It is the airbag sensor. So, if you do anything, buy some good stiff foam for the two front corners, nothing else is needed.

3. The instructions are pretty much straight forward and correct. What it did not talk about were the power connectors. There are two, one yellow, one black and purple. If you do not know how they lock, they look very complicated. The black and purple one, simply squeeze the two black tabs at the top (unlock) and rotate the purple lever (at his point the seat will not have power), releasing the connector. Second insert small screwdriver lift up to unlock one then the other and it too will come right apart.

4. To remove the recliner lever, you have to pull a clip out. I simply took a piece of bailing wire, smashed it flat, bent a hook on the end and reached right in and pulled it out.

These are just a few points I thought I’d share.

Review, again the passenger side, don’t bother, the driver’s side, I would most defiantly do it again. The seat bottom is firmer and you don’t sink into the seat and the mechanicals below you. Do it, you won’t regret it.
Attached Images    
Old 05-05-2014, 08:25 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default ZR-1 Blue powder coated Calipers!!!

Had a great day,
Finally had a day I could wash the track of the car, blow dry, and shine.

Then up on the jack stands it goes, wheels and calipers removed. Calipers are on their way to Mike the powder coater for ZR-1 Blue with silver metallic lettering and bolts.

Looking forward to getting them back.
Also should be receiving my GS Badge from American Hydrocarbon. The badge will be CRM with carbon fiber. Lettering done in ZR-1 blue.

Stay tuned.

Last edited by Boxcar; 05-16-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:14 AM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Update: Boxcar feeling sad, one beautiful weekend and Boxcar-7 was grounded up on jack stands. But, the end is near and I’ll have all the bits and pieces I wanted on my new2me GS. Then it will be time to cruse away the summer.

Mike, "The Powdercoater" said the calipers will ship Tuesday....hope to see them by Thursday, fingers crossed.

Hope to receive my GS badges soon... Yesterday I took the factory GS badges off. Pretty simple; 3 screws, 5 pop rivets, 3 10mm nuts per side with a beer in there somewhere.

Thanks to Corvette Mods, I now have four matching center caps that will look Awesome... to Corvette Mods.

Polished the tail pipes, Mother's Polish...fabulous.

Washed and Armor All'd inside all four wheel wells. I like it when it is all nice and clean and black in the well.

Throughout this week I will be waxing/polishing and detailing the exterior for the Arm Forces Day Parade. After which we Corvette participants will cruse over to the Clayton NY for their big car show. Which is one of the big events around these parts for us gear heads.

Hope everyone had a great weekend…
Boxcar
Old 05-16-2014, 06:16 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default ZR1 Blue Calipers

Well, my calipers arrived from Mike "The Powdercoater". If you want them done right...Mike is the man. Thanks Mike!

The look awesome both on the work bench and even better on the car.

All that remains is the new GS Badges and my custom ordered shift **** from Top Flight.

Good day to tinker, heavy rain outside.

Stay tuned to the same "Bat Channel"
Attached Images     
Old 05-16-2014, 07:06 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Wow Boxcar, you just got the car a few weeks ago! You don't waste much time!

How much are you missing the Polo Green C4?
Old 05-16-2014, 08:17 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Looks great!

Curious....what size Pilot Sport Cups did you buy? I was heading down the R888 path for track tires.

Last edited by 96GS#007; 05-16-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Looks great. What color(s) did you choose?
Old 05-16-2014, 10:25 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

@Professor: To tell the truth, not much. Phil has kept in touch and loves the car. He is on happy camper, it helps to know that the car went to good home and great guy.

@ 96GS#007: rear 345/30-ZR19 front 295/30=ZR18 and they stick like glue. In the C4 I could get tires to squeal like a little girl. These cup tires not even. But, then again I have only track once on them so far. As I improve I hope to get the G's up there. But, for now, I'm still learning the new2me GS.

@ DT86, I didn't pick a color, just told Mike I wanted ZR1 Blue.

Thanks all for viewing and the kind words. I'm just trying to GetURDone, so it's ready for the NCM Caravan and years of enjoyment.

Thanks all
Boxcar
Old 05-17-2014, 01:27 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

My OEM GY's don't squeal either, they grumble when generating slip angle. I've had the GY's at 1.03g's, be interested to learn what the oversize Michelin's will do.

The calipers look great! Should be a nice contrast with CRM (my favorite color for the Corvette).
Old 05-17-2014, 08:54 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

looks really good, love the wheels. one question. what happened to the yellow pinstripping?
Old 05-18-2014, 04:09 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by billyboy47
looks really good, love the wheels. one question. what happened to the yellow pinstripping?
It was amazing, I was driving it home and it all peel off at 80mph.
Guess it just wasn't meant to be.
Maybe some yellow flames nest time? MMMMMM

Get notified of new replies

To Getting the GS ready for the season

Old 05-24-2014, 05:54 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default It is done....!

Been five months in the works...
But it is done.....fresh wash, wax and buff.
Your thoughts?
1. Freshly Wet Sanded and Polished
2. New Chrome Z06 Replica Wheels with correct centers.
3. New American Hydrocarbon GS Badges in CRM Carbon Fiber, GS in Silver metallic and the other letters in ZR-1 Blue.
4. ZR-1 Blue Powder Coated Calipers by "Mike the Powder Coater".
5. New SS Brake Lines
6. New Brake Cooling hardware for tracking events.
7. New Lloyds Cashmere with GS Logo floor and cargo mats. Love them.
8. Finally (not arrived yet) New 2.25 White Shift **** with Blue Pearl 1-6R pattern and Red GS Logo on the sides.

This all go without saying fresh oil, rear diff fluid, coolant, and "Ranger' bled clutch. I do that proper this winter.

It is time to hit the road, take the Cupcakes (my beautiful wife), and see what we can find.

Don't forget to look for me at the NCM National Caravan and Anniversary. I'll be the one with an ear to ear smile.

Thanks everyone who has followed me and this thread.
Cheers
Boxcar-7 off the net and headed to the Drive-In for Godzilla! Should be a great night.
Attached Images       
Old 05-24-2014, 05:56 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default It is done...!

Just a few more snaps....
Attached Images    
Old 05-24-2014, 06:01 PM