C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Antilock Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 05:42 PM
Nomader33
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Service Antilock Brakes?

I took my 2009 C6 to the shop for a fuel pump change a little over a week ago. When I went to pick it up on Friday evening, the mechanic said it had an over speed system fault. It took him a couple of times to clear it. On the drive home, everything worked great. I made a short stop at daughters house. After I restatarted and backed out, I got the following on the DIC: yellow light for traction control and yellow ABS. Then the DIC showed: Service Antilock Brakes, Service Active Handling System, Service Traction System. Any thoughts?
Old 03-30-2014, 06:46 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Since we don't know what the mech did to service the fuel pump, the issue could be one or several things.

Easy thing to check first is the brake fluid level. If that's okay then a frequent culprit is one of the wheel speed sensors. Example here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...blem-that.html

If you have access to a Tech II tool, or on good terms with a dealer, you can probably get the specific code(s) to pinpoint what it's complaining about.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:52 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Sounds like you need a new battery. Do a load test on it before you do anything else.
The following users liked this post:
stavanger (06-18-2018)
Old 03-30-2014, 08:29 PM
Nomader33
Heel & Toe

Battery is about a year old. Mechanic replaced the fuel pump. As for brake fluid, it is good.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:47 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomader33
I took my 2009 C6 to the shop for a fuel pump change a little over a week ago. When I went to pick it up on Friday evening, the mechanic said it had an over speed system fault. It took him a couple of times to clear it. On the drive home, everything worked great. I made a short stop at daughters house. After I restatarted and backed out, I got the following on the DIC: yellow light for traction control and yellow ABS. Then the DIC showed: Service Antilock Brakes, Service Active Handling System, Service Traction System. Any thoughts?
Hey Nomader33,

I apologize that you are experiencing concerns with the Vette. Although I cannot guarantee anything, let me know if you would like me to get in contact with the dealership for you and see what I can find out. If this interests you, PM me with your contact information, VIN/mileage, and the dealership you have been working with. I will be looking out for your message. Have a great day!

Jennie R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Nomader33
Heel & Toe

Default Interesting day!

Took the car back Monday, the technician troubleshot it to a bad EBCM ( Fault Code C0245). I asked if he had looked at all of the wiring that he had disconnected. He assured me he had. Ordered the module, $675.75 with labor. Part came in yesterday. So we set it up for repair this morning. After a two hour wait I was informed it fixed the problem but needed a brake bleed. Approximately 45 minutes later I was informed that the code is back. I was informed the technician was on the phone with Chevrolet trying to figure out what is wrong. Service department offered me a loaner, then she tells me it is out of gas. Can you feel my frustration? What a day!
Old 04-03-2014, 02:35 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Took the car back Monday, the technician troubleshot it to a bad EBCM ( Fault Code C0245). I asked if he had looked at all of the wiring that he had disconnected. He assured me he had. Ordered the module, $675.75 with labor. Part came in yesterday. So we set it up for repair this morning. After a two hour wait I was informed it fixed the problem but needed a brake bleed. Approximately 45 minutes later I was informed that the code is back. I was informed the technician was on the phone with Chevrolet trying to figure out what is wrong. Service department offered me a loaner, then she tells me it is out of gas. Can you feel my frustration? What a day!
these posts hardly ever turn out good. they gonna throw parts at it and the code/codes will still be there. seems like nothing ever get fixed on these cars unless it just involves changing out the battery. there are so many bcm replaced on these cars its not even funny.
hope yours turn out ok. good luck!
Old 04-03-2014, 04:16 PM
Nomader33
Heel & Toe

The dealer just called and informed her that the stainless steel break lines may be causing interference. It is funny that this has not been a problem for at least three years.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:24 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

yep..that's the next part they gonna throw at it...stay tuned as there will be more.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:47 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I'm going back to RickT and the wheel speed sensor.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:35 AM
SRuizV
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i recently got the same message about the abs needing service, the good thing that i noticed that the battery was going bad, so i replaced it the following day and no more message and everything is back to normal.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:13 AM
Brockman66
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a thread on here awhile back that the guy figured out that the carpet/floor piece that covers the fuse box on the passenger side footwell was bumping into a connector every time his wife got in the car or he hit potholes. You might want to check and make sure your connector isn't loose. He used a couple rubber erasers as spacers so the floor piece wouldn't bump the sensor and his problem was solved.

My '05 was throwing a bunch of errors on the DIC like: shocks inoperative, service anti-lock brakes, service traction system/ active handling, low fuel, etc. I pulled up the floor piece a little and now it doesn't touch the connector. Haven't had the codes in over a year.

Last edited by Brockman66; 04-05-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:00 AM
bolivar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To drop those fuel tanks out the bottom you know there were several electrical connectors that were pulled apart. One is not tightly back together, or a connector was bent putting it back together.

I would very carefully go back over all the electrical connectors back there, pull them apart again, carefully look the blades over, and make sure they are plugged back in tightly.

Or, the battery is low, and the low voltage is just setting a lot of random faults. Check the battery and/or have it charged.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:48 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Getting angry over two visits, and $675---why? j/k. Lots of good info above from other posters.

As mentioned above, I would caution you that just because a battery is new, or newer doesn't mean it can't be bad--happens frequently and that's why they have a warranty.

You may also want to use the "Chev Cust Svc" post and send them all your info. At least one poster above is thinking that the service technician is "throwing parts at it"---kind of looks like it to me, too. And guess who's going to get stuck with the bill? I'd at least give the info to "Chev Cust Svc" even if they can't get you a refund.

Good luck and tell us how this all turns out. I'm sure we'd like to know what the eventual bad part is for future reference.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:16 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

So I look up code C0245 to see all the possibilities and guess what? That is not a valid code for a C6 Corvette. It is an ABS code (Wheel Speed Frequency Error) but it is for pickups and Buicks and... I can't see a reason you would get the valid C6 codes C0240, C0242 or C0249 which all deal with the serial data bus communication and faults in the ECM preventing engine power reduction. Looking at all the other possible codes in this area, the numbers 2, 4, and 5 are not used in any of the 6 possible combinations to create a valid code. The closest I could come up with was C0045 is a code for the left rear wheel sensor connector.

The very first thing I would do at this point is buy a code reader (<$50) and read the codes myself to find out how badly the dealer is lying to you.

As bolivar said, dropping the tanks disconnected a lot of electronics and one bad wheel sensor connection will give you ABS trouble. It could be a battery issue but I would think driving it would have fixed that if the battery had not given warnings before the electrical connectors around the rear wheels were disturbed.

I will certainly second the opinion that the dealer is throwing expensive parts at the issue knowing that there is profit to be made here. I'd be willing to bet a significant amount that 10 minutes looking at the wheel sensor connectors and wire harness leading forward from there will eventually find the issue. Again, a $50 code reader or even a free reading at AutoZone or other parts store would identify the specific issue.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:28 PM
Nomader33
Heel & Toe

I am sure this is no SUPRISE to anyone here! The rubber brake lines arrived and were installed. As I am sure you all guessed, it did not fix the problem. The technician is back on the phone with technical support.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:01 PM
Nomader33
Heel & Toe

Picked up the car Thursday afternoon. They replaced the right rear hub. Car is fine now.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:25 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Picked up the car Thursday afternoon. They replaced the right rear hub. Car is fine now.
so...did you have to pony up for all the replacement parts? and do you know what exactly was wrong with the hub? most likely something they did on that side during the fuel pump install.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Antilock Brakes?

Quick Reply: Service Antilock Brakes?