C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake squeal - single backing plate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 12:00 AM
GCRoberts
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Brake squeal - single backing plate?

I've been dealing with brake squeal on my 2012 GS since I purchased it. Have had it in the shop numerous times, problem never gets resolved. They've tried turning the rotors, putting new pads on, both at the same time. It ONLY occurs on one of my brakes (driver side rear). Many people have recommended putting on ceramic pads, which I have resisted. The main reason I resisted is I didn't want to mask a problem while still under warranty. I wanted to resolve the problem, then put on ceramic pads. After two years of this nonsense, I've finally given up and am ready to just mask the problem. They can ONLY put on OEM pads under warranty...obviously. However, the dealer has agreed to install ceramic pads for me...free labor charge...if I buy them. So I've looked at Hawk, Carbotech, and even AutoZone pads. The Hawk and Carbotech have single backing plates, while the AutoZone have a separate plate for each piston. I know everyone has their opinion on which pad is best, but I'm looking for information regarding the "backing plate type". Considering that brake squeal comes from pad vibration, I would think that "separate backing plates" such as the OEM and the Autozone would tend to vibrate more. I would think that the longer "single backing plates" would not be able to vibrate as much as they are spread out across a larger cross section of the rotor. Anyone here have specific knowledge on this?

Last edited by GCRoberts; 04-27-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:59 AM
EBvette02
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 36 Posts

My 2012 GS sqeals too. I took it to the dealership and they said nothing was wrong.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:09 AM
GCRoberts
Racer

Originally Posted by EBvette02
My 2012 GS sqeals too. I took it to the dealership and they said nothing was wrong.
I wouldn't take that for an answer. See if you can prove it's only one brake doing it. Have someone walk next to your Vette while you lightly brake. In my case, when I was told that high performance brakes can squeal, I responded. Are you telling me that I only have one high performance brake on my Vette?

I have heard a few references stating that the 2012's may be the worst year for brake squeal. But no matter what, push back. You paid a lot of money for your car and it should NOT squeal like a dump truck.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:58 AM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 458 Likes on 232 Posts

Put some high temperature grease on the back of the pads and you should solve the problem.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:42 AM
GCRoberts
Racer

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
Put some high temperature grease on the back of the pads and you should solve the problem.
Tried that last summer. It lasted for a few weeks, but then problem came back.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:05 AM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 919 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

If the noise is coming from the left rear only, has the dealership looked at the parking brake shoe as the source?
Old 04-27-2014, 11:42 AM
Tide Will Roll!
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Wagner Thermo Quiet Ceramic pads do not require grease on backing plate-problem solved.
Buy online from Advance, use online coupon, use Wagner Rebate and they are almost free?
Old 04-27-2014, 11:55 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I'm sure the bedding process for new pads has a lot to do with weather you get squeaking or not.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:10 PM
ZR1 136
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I took the stock pads off because of the brake dust on my silver rims made them look like Comp rims all the time. Replaced with ceramic from Autozone....brake dust gone. OEM pads never made any noise my ceramics will make a squeal or two when backing out of the car port. This only happens once in a while so maybe the rotor is cleaning off surface rust. I have never had any noise while driving / braking after backing out of the carport. I used the ceramic padlets on my '13 GS. If you dont mind the brake dust let them keep changing pads, rotors, parts under warranty till it gets fixed. good luck.......think the dealer just keeping you their to trade into a C7??
Old 04-27-2014, 01:22 PM
dfitch9
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhett Loveday
I took the stock pads off because of the brake dust on my silver rims made them look like Comp rims all the time. Replaced with ceramic from Autozone....brake dust gone. OEM pads never made any noise my ceramics will make a squeal or two when backing out of the car port. This only happens once in a while so maybe the rotor is cleaning off surface rust. I have never had any noise while driving / braking after backing out of the carport. I used the ceramic padlets on my '13 GS. If you dont mind the brake dust let them keep changing pads, rotors, parts under warranty till it gets fixed. good luck.......think the dealer just keeping you their to trade into a C7??
I have a 2011 GS and researched this to death and went with Autozone pad lets about a month and I love them! No squeal or dust what so ever and they stop great too! Highly recommend them?
Old 04-27-2014, 01:33 PM
ZR1 136
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dfitch9
I have a 2011 GS and researched this to death and went with Autozone pad lets about a month and I love them! No squeal or dust what so ever and they stop great too! Highly recommend them?
Yes I highly recommend them. I do not track my car as of yet. I dont know what the car will do under track conditions but for street use I have had zero problems.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake squeal - single backing plate?

Quick Reply: Brake squeal - single backing plate?