C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so should I change the oil before winter storage..

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:00 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Default so should I change the oil before winter storage..

...or after I take it back out in the spring??Have 33% left on the DIC.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

How many miles are on this oil?
Old 09-27-2012, 02:12 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

I change mine in the Spring, others will chime in how it is better to change it before Winter storage, but to me makes more sense after I bring it out of storage.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:17 PM
vig1116
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i never understood how so many people like to change before storage. Doesn't oil break down with time, even if not used? If so, then why would anyone want to change the oil, let it sit for months, then use it for the season then change it again?? I just changed mine with mobil 1 extended performance because i just bought the car and have no idea what the previous owner did, but from now on it'll be every spring... (not a DD)
Old 09-27-2012, 02:18 PM
purvistechie
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

This has been beaten to death here but I'll give you my opinion.
I believe that yes you should put her away with clean oil. Change the oil and be done. Don't start it again until spring. Recommend Stabil in the tank too along with a trickle charger.

Clean oil, no contaminants sitting in the engine all winter long. I live in MN and deal with winterizing and summarizing all my equipment every year. I've done the same for all equipment and have never been let down.

Now, there will be plenty of people that disagree with me (posts to follow) but that's MY opinion and like I said, I've never been let down.

Clean outside, clean inside, ready for winter, ready for spring!

Last edited by purvistechie; 09-27-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldnt, what would be the benefit? The engine will not be any healthier. The oil isnt going to magically breakdown because the temps drop. As someone else said, if anything I would change it next spring, right before the warm driving season starts.

With the miles I put on my car and according to the DIC.. I end up changing mine once a year. That being every Spring. In the 2 years I've owned the car, I changed the oil in April 2011 and May 2012. Still showing about 50% on the DIC.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:26 PM
vig1116
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by purvistechie
I believe that yes you should put her away with clean oil. Change the oil and be done. Don't start it again until spring. Recommend Stabil in the tank too along with a trickle charger.

Clean oil, no contaminants sitting in the engine all winter long. I live in MN and deal with winterizing and summarizing all my equipment every year. I've done the same for all equipment and have never been let done.

Now, there will be plenty of people that disagree with me (posts to follow) but that's MY opinion and like I said, I've never been let down.

purv, to each their own, but like i asked prior, doesnt the oil break down with time? I would rather have "contaminents" falling to the bottom of the pan over the winter (to be released when oil changed later) then have broken down oil when i'm getting on her in the hot summer... just my opinion, but in reality, it probably doesn't make one bit of difference for 98% of us the way we drive it...
Old 09-27-2012, 02:34 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,570 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Once a year or when the DIC calls for it.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

1) Change oil now
2) Let car sit for the winter
3) Do a Blackstone oil analysis in the Spring
4) Report oil analysis results back here so we can dispel all the myths about oil turning bad in 6 months.

...or read the threads below debating whether or not to change your oil before winter storage...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...e-storage.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/off-...e-storage.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...r-storage.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...il-change.html
Old 09-27-2012, 02:50 PM
6893Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil does breakdown and the ph changes over time which is why the older cars with regular oil were told to change the oil in 3 Months or 3,000 miles. New synthetic oil lasts much longer so you don't have to worry about it going bad over the winter. MY preference would be to go into the winter with clean oil. Don't let bad oil sit in the car over the winter or start up with bad oil in the Spring. Modern oils will not be affected by a few months in the car.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by 6893Vette
Oil does breakdown and the ph changes over time which is why the older cars with regular oil were told to change the oil in 3 Months or 3,000 miles. New synthetic oil lasts much longer so you don't have to worry about it going bad over the winter. MY preference would be to go into the winter with clean oil. Don't let bad oil sit in the car over the winter or start up with bad oil in the Spring. Modern oils will not be affected by a few months in the car.
Spring
Old 09-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Oil does not break down over time, it just sits there. Not much different from being in a bottle with a slightly loose cap.

Oil accumulates moisture, acids, and other chemicals from the combustion process. For that reason, I prefer to change the oil just before storage. If I'm going to put the car away without an oil change, I prefer to go for a long drive that gets the oil up to final temp (hopefully, above 212'F), put fresh gas and stabilizer in the tank on the way home, and then put it away.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:19 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Spring it is!! Thanks.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:23 PM
AtomicZ_Eric
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 5 Posts

This will be my first winter with the Z. I will change the oil before storage AND when it's time to bring her out of hibernation. I followed this procedure with my RSX Type-S. People are going to say one is better than the other... why must you choose? Changing two times = peace of mind and another excuse to get under the car.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Markss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:33 PM
GM'er
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 62 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Oil sitting in a bottle on the store shelf isn't breaking down. There is no expiration date on a bottle of oil that says it goes bad after so many months.

I agree with those that say change before storage. All the contaminates, including water and fuel dilution that are in used oil are things I would be more concerned about than having 4 month old "new" oil being bad in the spring.

Are you going to put your car away dirty, and say I'll wash it in the spring becasue it will get dust on it over the winter anyway?
Old 09-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by purvistechie

Clean oil, no contaminants sitting in the engine all winter long. I live in MN and deal with winterizing and summarizing all my equipment every year. I've done the same for all equipment and have never been let done.

The oil does not sit in the engine all winter.
Makes no sense to change the oil in any car then let it sit for months.
Change the oil once you're ready to drive the car again. Doing this will also remove any condensation that may have accumulated during those idle months/days.

Get notified of new replies

To so should I change the oil before winter storage..

Old 09-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by AtomicZ_Eric
This will be my first winter with the Z. I will change the oil before storage AND when it's time to bring her out of hibernation. I followed this procedure with my RSX Type-S. People are going to say one is better than the other... why must you choose? Changing two times = peace of mind and another excuse to get under the car.
Honestly, worst suggestion today.
Why do you need an excuse to get under a car that hasn't done anything but sit there since the last time you were under it?
Old 09-27-2012, 04:45 PM
AtomicZ_Eric
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
Honestly, worst suggestion today.
Why do you need an excuse to get under a car that hasn't done anything but sit there since the last time you were under it?

Because I love working on my cars. And peace of mind is worth $70 to me. If the OP was concerned enough to post the question, then maybe $70 is worth their peace of mind as well???
Old 09-27-2012, 04:48 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

I agree with those that say change before storage. All the contaminates, including water and fuel dilution that are in used oil are things I would be more concerned about than having 4 month old "new" oil being bad in the spring.

Are you going to put your car away dirty, and say I'll wash it in the spring becasue it will get dust on it over the winter anyway?
Car most definitely gets washed and waxed a dozen or so times before she goes down for the winter. I was wondering about the dirty oil but then realized hell,I won't be driving it till spring so it's just going to be in the pan.

Quick Reply: so should I change the oil before winter storage..