C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installation of the new factory USB Navigation Radio in pre-2011 C6 Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 06:33 PM
Stevek9109
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bedouin
HiSteve, question on this VF cigarette adapter device...it sounds like you can plug in your iPod/iPhone to it?...can you also listen to the music that's loaded onto the iPod/ iPhone ?
Yes, the unit plugs into the std ear plug jack(aux.). So ANYTHING that your any device/phone/smart phone plays will play through the car's speakers.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:41 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

the gm nav system in my 013 is very simple to use!! just take your time and play with it until it sinks in and i find it much easier than my new ford escape nav system. also the usb port is used quite often. just record all your music on a flash drive and your ready to go.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:16 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by billyboy47
the gm nav system in my 013 is very simple to use!! just take your time and play with it until it sinks in and i find it much easier than my new ford escape nav system. also the usb port is used quite often. just record all your music on a flash drive and your ready to go.
I think a lot of guys give up on the factory nav radio too early. It does take a bit of time to learn what all it can do, but once you spend some time with it, it's a very nicely integrated radio into the Corvette sound system. And these new USB radios added the nice audio features that the pre-2011 Navs never offered.

Anyone considering installing a Nav in their Vettes should definitely consider one of these. There are brand new ones selling for $850 and less and I recently saw a nice used one go for about $400. At those prices, there is no point in considering a factory Nav from an earlier Vette.

Ray
Old 06-28-2014, 04:49 PM
IceMezzer
Racer

I have a 2006 Convertible and my stock NAV system just died.. I still have GM extended warranty and was told they are going to replace the NAV unit at no charge.. Does anyone know if they normally replace it with the current model or will they be getting another old unit one to install?

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2014, 05:10 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Pep Boys has the cig lighter to USB adapter in a bin at the cash register for $5. Great for charging any USB device in the car.

Keep in mind that any charger plugged into the cig lighter may interfere with the fob signal to start the car, so if that happens, unplug the adapter/charger.

Last edited by cclive; 06-28-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:13 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by IceMezzer
I have a 2006 Convertible and my stock NAV system just died.. I still have GM extended warranty and was told they are going to replace the NAV unit at no charge.. Does anyone know if they normally replace it with the current model or will they be getting another old unit one to install?

Thanks!
They will likely look up the GM part number that is listed for your year and VIN. It may have an updated part number for your year, but it will definitely not be one of the new USB radios. You might ask the parts man, however, if he would order you a 20856087 and perhaps the difference in cost might not be too much.

The new USB radio will install exactly like your existing radio and it will work exactly the same, so that shouldn't be an issue. But you would have to go in later and add the rear console and additional harnesses fro the USB and auxiliary input.

If this is a warranty issue, however, they might be forced into ordering the radio that is listed for your car. But maybe you could talk then into trading it for a new one while it's brand new? It depends on the dealer.

Keep in mind that you can buy a brand new 20856087 radio on eBay right now for $850.

Ray

Last edited by kawal; 06-28-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:16 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by cclive
Pep Boys has the cig lighter to USB adapter in a bin at the cash register for $5. Great for charging any USB device in the car.
This might go well with the charging adapter:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...er-outlet.html

Ray
Old 06-28-2014, 05:29 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kawal
This might go well with the charging adapter:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...er-outlet.html

Ray
It would also help if the charger interfered with fob operation . But I must say that because of you, Ray, my first thought at this thread was that I already have an aux input for my MP3 player...it's hooked into the XM1 input per your instructions and has been working perfectly for years.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:58 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by cclive
It would also help if the charger interfered with fob operation . But I must say that because of you, Ray, my first thought at this thread was that I already have an aux input for my MP3 player...it's hooked into the XM1 input per your instructions and has been working perfectly for years.
And my radar detector mount that you came up with is also working perfectly after a few years. It's great when forum members can help each other out.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...nt-w-pics.html

Ray
Old 06-28-2014, 10:58 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Glad to hear it Ray...
Old 06-29-2014, 03:22 PM
Thundercougarfalconb
7th Gear

Default Installing nav in non-bose 2011 corvette

Looking for some help out there. I have installed the latest model 2011-2013 nav unit along with HUD in my 1lt 2011 non bose vette. The install was very simple with the help of Ray Kawal's custom harness parts and located vss wire. The problem I am having is the HUD displays fine and the radio works well but there is no radio/nav info displayed on the HUD. Took it to the dealer and had the BCM told it had a hud and vin reset for nav (although the nav worked already) but checking the hud comm it shows NO NAV DETECTED. We could not find anything in the GM pc based scanner to change/toggle to tell the car to see the nav radio. Does anyone have any experience in this out there? I know not having this info in the hud is not the end of the world I just would like everything to work in the car as it is supposed to (plus I think it is pretty cool)

Thank you Joe
Old 06-30-2014, 06:50 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by Thundercougarfalconb
Looking for some help out there. I have installed the latest model 2011-2013 nav unit along with HUD in my 1lt 2011 non bose vette. The install was very simple with the help of Ray Kawal's custom harness parts and located vss wire. The problem I am having is the HUD displays fine and the radio works well but there is no radio/nav info displayed on the HUD. Took it to the dealer and had the BCM told it had a hud and vin reset for nav (although the nav worked already) but checking the hud comm it shows NO NAV DETECTED. We could not find anything in the GM pc based scanner to change/toggle to tell the car to see the nav radio. Does anyone have any experience in this out there? I know not having this info in the hud is not the end of the world I just would like everything to work in the car as it is supposed to (plus I think it is pretty cool)

Thank you Joe
Joe,

You and I discussed this and I'd sure welcome any comments from others. But I'm surprised your dealer didn't have or try a Tech 2 on the car. I don't know if that would made a difference, but with a Tech 2, I know you can go into the Nav menu and actually see the GM part number of the radio, plus other details of the radio. I would think if the Tech 2 can see the radio to pull up that information, the BCM must be seeing it as well. So I'm at a loss as to why your HUD does not display radio information.

Perhaps there are other owners who have installed a Nav in their 1LT Vette, replacing a non-Nav radio. If so, does the radio information show up on your HUD?

I installed the USB Nav radio in my '07 Z06 and the radio information shows up on the HUD just fine. But I also replaced my old Nav with the new Nav.

Ray
Old 06-30-2014, 08:54 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Default Website Updated

Because a lot of owners of base C6s with the factory non-Nav radios are interested in this new USB Nav radio as an upgrade, I just added an Addendum to the installation website:

http://www.kawal.net/USB%20Nav.htm

This Addendum will provide some information about the additional issues involved in installing a factory Nav radio in place of your non-Nav radio. Even if you have a Bose audio system, you will need to add a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) wire if you originally have a non-Nav radio.

Ray
Old 07-01-2014, 08:28 AM
Captain Fantastic
Intermediate

I installed a 2012 OEM nav unit into my 2012 1LT non-Bose Vette. I also installed the USB console and factory nav antenna with it. Everything seems to work fine, except for the position arrow. The position arrow shows my location, but never changes the 'pointing' direction. The arrow cannot change its pointing position, nor can it be re-calibrated to do so.
I've taken it to the dealer for reprogramming and it still does not work. Nobody seems to know why it won't work correctly. I've been told that maybe the nav unit is bad and there is possibly some kind of internal error/problem. It's frustrating, but I'm not sure what do do. I've tried disconnecting the battery, the radio, etc. all to no avail. I have not spliced into the VSS wire, but I was told by a dealer that it shouldn't make a difference regarding the arrow's pointing position. Any thoughts or ideas?
Old 07-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Thundercougarfalconb
7th Gear

Default nav in a non bose 2011

Originally Posted by Captain Fantastic
I installed a 2012 OEM nav unit into my 2012 1LT non-Bose Vette. I also installed the USB console and factory nav antenna with it. Everything seems to work fine, except for the position arrow. The position arrow shows my location, but never changes the 'pointing' direction. The arrow cannot change its pointing position, nor can it be re-calibrated to do so.
I've taken it to the dealer for reprogramming and it still does not work. Nobody seems to know why it won't work correctly. I've been told that maybe the nav unit is bad and there is possibly some kind of internal error/problem. It's frustrating, but I'm not sure what do do. I've tried disconnecting the battery, the radio, etc. all to no avail. I have not spliced into the VSS wire, but I was told by a dealer that it shouldn't make a difference regarding the arrow's pointing position. Any thoughts or ideas?
Hello. The dealer is dead wrong. the VSS wire is necessary to calibrate the nav unit. I have Ray Kawal's VSS disconnect switch installed in mine and if I shut it off and drive the pointer icon does not point the right direction and the nav jumps (not smooth) also upon turning the VSS back on it takes about 1/2 mile to act correctly. The VSS wire is easy to clip into at the gauge cluster. It is the bright green wire with the white stripe. You will need the Delphi contact pin to plug into the plug at the back of the nav you can buy them on line but I would recommend Ray Kawal's disconnect so you can enter dest. while car is in motion. He will have extra pins to sell and is good to deal with.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:58 PM
Captain Fantastic
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Thundercougarfalconb
Hello. The dealer is dead wrong. the VSS wire is necessary to calibrate the nav unit. I have Ray Kawal's VSS disconnect switch installed in mine and if I shut it off and drive the pointer icon does not point the right direction and the nav jumps (not smooth) also upon turning the VSS back on it takes about 1/2 mile to act correctly. The VSS wire is easy to clip into at the gauge cluster. It is the bright green wire with the white stripe. You will need the Delphi contact pin to plug into the plug at the back of the nav you can buy them on line but I would recommend Ray Kawal's disconnect so you can enter dest. while car is in motion. He will have extra pins to sell and is good to deal with.
Wow. Thanks for this infor! I hope this is my issue. I have the Delphi contact pin, but I guess I just need to purchase a quick-splice connector and wire. Once I pull the gauge cluster, is the VSS green wire with white stripe easy to locate and access? I seriously hope this is all I need to do to fix this. This arrow issue has been driving me mad. lol
Old 07-01-2014, 03:44 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

It's too bad that there is misinformation floating around the forum regarding the VSS wire for the Navigation radio. I've tried to correct that misinformation in a number of threads, but it doesn't always get to the end user. The VSS wire wasn't added to the Nav radio by GM unnecessarily. It is needed by the Nav for accurate tracking as well as calculating the ETA for a destination. I've seen on the forum a number of owners to stick in a Nav in a non-Nav Vette and claim it isn't necessary - probably because they see an arrow tracking their approximate location, which they could never see with their non-Nav radio.

I have some experience with the VSS circuit in a Nav Vette because of my "Nav Mod" I wrote up years ago. Here's the link:

http://www.kawal.net/navigation.htm

By adding a switch to the VSS circuit, it allows you to "trick" the Nav into thinking you are not moving, thereby allowing you to enter destinations while driving. Switching out the VSS signal is the same as not having the VSS wire, but what happens if you leave it switched out for about 30-60 seconds, the GPS "figures out" you are actually moving and you lose the ability to enter destinations. You must then switch the VSS signal back in for a second or two, then switch it out again and continue with your destination entry. If you don't switch the VSS signal back in, your Nav will not track properly and the ETA icon will have an "X" through it because it can't calculate because of the loss of the VSS signal.

To add the VSS signal, owners of non-Nav Vettes will find that Pin D of the 12 pin connector C2 will be empty. Here's the wiring:

The easiest way to add the VSS signal is to run a wire from instrument cluster wiring to the 12 pin Nav connector in Pin D. It isn't a huge job, but you must pull the instrument cluster bezel out, then remove the instrument cluster with four 7mm screws. You will see two 16 pin connectors, one black and one gray. The VSS wire is the green/white one in the GRAY connector. Use a splice tap to connect a new wire to the VSS wire and run it over to the Nav unit. You will need a female Delphi Micro Pack 100 terminal to add it to Pin D. I will soon be adding a wire kit to my website for those who need this VSS wire.

Once you add the VSS wire, your new Nav should work great. But you might have to drive the car around a while before the Nav "figures out" it has the new signal.

Ray

Last edited by kawal; 07-01-2014 at 03:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Installation of the new factory USB Navigation Radio in pre-2011 C6 Corvettes

Old 07-01-2014, 03:50 PM
Thundercougarfalconb
7th Gear

Default Nav

Wow. Thanks for this infor! I hope this is my issue. I have the Delphi contact pin, but I guess I just need to purchase a quick-splice connector and wire. Once I pull the gauge cluster, is the VSS green wire with white stripe easy to locate and access? I seriously hope this is all I need to do to fix this. This arrow issue has been driving me mad. lol
Yes the speed sensor wire is easy to locate. Here is a link to someone installing a HUD. There is a lot of useless stuff for you but it does show the speed sensor wire behind the cluster. You do not have to remove anything but the radio and the cluster to get it. I stripped the tape covering the harness about 8 inches back from the cluster to make the tap so I would not have a lot of extra wire rattling around in the dash. This made the wire between the harness and the Radio about 6 inches long.

http://www.keystonestatecorvetteclub...%20Rev%202.pdf

Last edited by Thundercougarfalconb; 07-01-2014 at 03:50 PM. Reason: forgot a line
Old 07-01-2014, 08:14 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Default Website Updated

I just updated the website with an Addendum and photos for installing the new nav radio in C6's with a factory non-Nav radio. The Addendum is near the bottom of the website:

http://www.kawal.net/USB%20Nav.htm

Ray
Old 07-01-2014, 09:15 PM
Captain Fantastic
Intermediate

Ray and Thunder Cougar,

Thank you all so very much for the help! I appreciate it very much. Thanks Ray for the schematic. I can't wait to fix this.

-John

Quick Reply: Installation of the new factory USB Navigation Radio in pre-2011 C6 Corvettes