C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vandalism to my C6 while at the track, if you have paint damage come on in.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 11:57 AM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Vandalism to my C6 while at the track, if you have paint damage come on in.

I live in a nice neighborhood with only two entrances and forty or so houses. We are right off a main road that gets tens of thousands of cars a day and my lower garage exits off the main entrance.

I parked my C6 Vert in the driveway to move the Stingray out and left it parked on the driveway. The whole property is gated but I don't have a gate opener yet, so I left the gate open and took the Stingray to the track.

When I came home about 7 hours later I pull the C6 into the garage and I see someone came up onto my driveway and damaged the rear end. I can't tell exactly how they did it, but it was at three different levels on the back bumper and I have nothing anywhere on my property or garage that could have made the damage like this.

People suck. Anyway, now for what you came for. I am going to tell you how I fixed it, and how if you have anything similar you can fix it too. There are a million opinions and products out there. This is what I use. You may use something else.

I use Meguiars 105 and 205, and then finish with a synthetic top wax. I am still playing with those, but the whole polishing piece is really all that matters here. The top wax is just protecting your work.

Supplies
Griot's garage adjustable random orbital
3 Meguiars application pads. Cutting/Polishing/Finishing
Meguiars 105/205
Microfiber cloth
Top wax - Your choice

I start by thoroughly cleaning the area with a microfiber towel I have wet. This helps get any dirt out of the area. I change the angle to try and get all dirt cleaned out of the scratches.

Once clean I start with the 105 and the cutting pad. In this instance I had the speed all the way up to 6, but it really depends on your situation. I usually stick with high speed until the finishing stage of polishing.

After I hit the area with this combo three times, I moved onto the polishing pad and the 205 compound. Speed all the way up again. I hit it with this combo twice.

I then finished with the 205 and the finishing pad on level 6. After the level six I dropped it down to a 3-4 speed and hit it one final time lightly to try and get any small scratches out.

Then I topped it with my finishing wax and wiped everything away once dry.

Disaster averted and it only took about 15 minutes to fix. I hope this helps someone else in a similar situation.

Most of these products are now available at your local AutoZone. Random orbitals are personal preference but the GG has always treated me right and while it isn't cheap up front it has paid for itself 100 times over.

You simply could not replicate this result with elbow grease.

Here are the before and after for you.

Last edited by WildVettes; 05-11-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:02 PM
cinci001
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good write up, sorry about the damage. The finish result looks real good. Carma works both ways to whoever did this
Old 05-11-2014, 12:11 PM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry this happened to you. Obviously, it sucks. And despite my belief that most people are good at heart, there are undoubtedly some people who are resentful, envious, and cruel. And that's why I've never left my Corvettes unattended in 'public' places. They've never sat outside overnight, they've never been left unattended in the driveway at home, they've never been left in a parking lot.

It's a crappy, defensive attitude to have to take, but it's the only way I know to guard against the a**hole who will key you just for the heck of it as he walks by your car.

Nice job on the repair .. Looks like someone may have kicked it ..
Old 05-11-2014, 12:15 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by jerryv
Sorry this happened to you. Obviously, it sucks. And despite my belief that most people are good at heart, there are undoubtedly some people who are resentful, envious, and cruel. And that's why I've never left my Corvettes unattended in 'public' places. They've never sat outside overnight, they've never been left unattended in the driveway at home, they've never been left in a parking lot.

It's a crappy, defensive attitude to have to take, but it's the only way I know to guard against the a**hole who will key you just for the heck of it as he walks by your car.

Nice job on the repair .. Looks like someone may have kicked it ..
Yeah I really thought the bottom of a shoe seemed most likely based on the way it looked. Or maybe a bicycle tire.

I had someone cut the antenna off my Z06 parked way out in the parking lot away from everything when I first got it. I was blown away at the time. I now know people are jerks. I am just glad I have the knowledge to fix it now.

Back in my C5Z was new to me days, I wouldn't have thought this could be repaired and it would have crushed my heart.

I just want people to know these cars have really tough clear and they can come back from a lot of abuse. Even if you are buying a used car someone else beat on.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:46 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a small scratch on my wheel well that I will attempt soon. Touch up is on. 2000, 2500 and 3000 grit sandpaper ready as well.

What pads should I get for my DA polisher?

Also for polish I have 3M Perfect IT, Meguiars Rubbing compound as well as scratch X. Will these work?
Old 06-06-2014, 02:55 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Ahmer
I have a small scratch on my wheel well that I will attempt soon. Touch up is on. 2000, 2500 and 3000 grit sandpaper ready as well.

What pads should I get for my DA polisher?

Also for polish I have 3M Perfect IT, Meguiars Rubbing compound as well as scratch X. Will these work?
I wouldn't use sandpaper unless absolutely necessary. You can get some good cut with the stuff above.

Harbor Freight now carries the 105/205 I have listed above. You can use a 20% off order coupon to probably pickup everything you need for like $100 including the Random orbital.

I have used those before in the past, but not with my Random orbital.

My cutting pad and 105 has been able to do some amazing stuff to scratches without sanding anything.

This was my wife's Elantra two days ago when someone opened their door into it.

Before:

After:

Here is a deep scratch to the side of my 06 from the previous owner.

After you can still see the paint level difference, at 12 inches, but from a few feet you couldn't possibly see it.

Same spot a little further back.

Good luck with the repair!

Here is a link to what my 02 looked like with a little over 110k on the clock. You can do quite a bit even on old cars that have seen good use.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...e-mileage.html
Old 06-06-2014, 03:00 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

I keep wanting to buy a well used C4/C5 and see what I can do to bring her back. Once I get this car dealership opened I am sure I will have plenty of opportunities to "refresh" cars.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:00 PM
Move Over
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the end I think you may have gotten the better deal. It may have cost you some elbow grease but that blue is screaming hawt.

Chops!

[/QUOTE]
Old 06-06-2014, 03:07 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Move Over
In the end I think you may have gotten the better deal. It may have cost you some elbow grease but that blue is screaming hawt.

Chops!

[/QUOTE]

Yeah LeMans is one of my favorites and was on the short list of colors I wanted on my C6. My C5Z is electron blue and I was REALLY close to ordering blue on the C7. I ended up going with white/red and am happy I did, but my neighbor has the blue C7 and it looks good too
Old 06-06-2014, 03:12 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I tried it when I had an accident at the track and it didn't work

Old 06-06-2014, 03:14 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by mcandrew67

Results may vary
Old 06-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

I was just going to tape everything but the touch-up I have (whch is above the level of my car paint) then untape and go at it with 2500 grit wet sanding
Old 06-06-2014, 03:46 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

I am not sure how much cut 3m Perfect it versus Scratch X versus Meguiars Ultimate Compound...
Old 06-06-2014, 03:52 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Ahmer
I am not sure how much cut 3m Perfect it versus Scratch X versus Meguiars Ultimate Compound...
I am only familiar with the scratchx. From what I understand it goes from a hard cut to a fine because the compounds break down as you are using them. This is great for polishing because as you polish more the finish gets finer and finer.

It probably would be annoying to use right off the bat though. Use your cutting pad first and see what you can do with it. I would only use 2500 grit as an absolute last resort.

Without seeing the damage I can't make a call on it. I would prefer an uneven clear polished versus sanding through the clear. Corvette clear is really thin and while I tired some early on in my used Corvette buying history I have had far better results with just the pads and polish.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:51 PM
acesx4
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

great repair!!
Old 06-06-2014, 09:17 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,212 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by mcandrew67

The name on the building....can't make that up. Looks like both of you needed some.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:26 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
The name on the building....can't make that up. Looks like both of you needed some.
Was waiting on AAA to pick me up. I usually trailered it to the track but this was at Homestead so just drove there

Get notified of new replies

To Vandalism to my C6 while at the track, if you have paint damage come on in.

Quick Reply: Vandalism to my C6 while at the track, if you have paint damage come on in.