C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's a good one

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 06:55 PM
offthehook1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's a good one

Not into bashing my dealer, but lately I have detected a change in attitude on a number of fronts.

Getting my oil changed on my 2009 C6 a few weeks ago, the service manager comes to get me in the lounge and shows me that a brake light is out in the rear spoiler and that it will cost $104 to do a diagnostic to determine the cause. I advise him that when I bought the car and they replaced the black door handles and rear spoiler with the Jetstream Blue they left the bulb and wire hanging in the rear bumper as the replacement did not have a receptacle for the bulb. He left.

A few weeks later I get an e mail telling me to make an appointment to get the bulb fixed, for $104, as it is a safety issue. I understand the cost of doing business and all, but it seems that they rely on diagnostics for everything. I would have checked the bulb first. I guess since you have to do a bit of work to get at it, you need to make something.

Along with this, which I think is entertaining, I could not get anybody in the showroom to show a bit of interest in showing me new trucks or a C7. I bought a Ford truck as a result, but honestly always had Ford trucks, but the lack of sales energy is strange. They stand around smoking in the parking lot and when I do ask for assistance it seems like I am bothering them. [Internet sales must be good. Maybe I dont look like a good customer or something.

Anyway just wanted to discuss the tail light experience.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:13 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by offthehook1
Not into bashing my dealer, but lately I have detected a change in attitude on a number of fronts.

Getting my oil changed on my 2009 C6 a few weeks ago, the service manager comes to get me in the lounge and shows me that a brake light is out in the rear spoiler and that it will cost $104 to do a diagnostic to determine the cause. I advise him that when I bought the car and they replaced the black door handles and rear spoiler with the Jetstream Blue they left the bulb and wire hanging in the rear bumper as the replacement did not have a receptacle for the bulb. He left.

A few weeks later I get an e mail telling me to make an appointment to get the bulb fixed, for $104, as it is a safety issue. I understand the cost of doing business and all, but it seems that they rely on diagnostics for everything. I would have checked the bulb first. I guess since you have to do a bit of work to get at it, you need to make something.

Along with this, which I think is entertaining, I could not get anybody in the showroom to show a bit of interest in showing me new trucks or a C7. I bought a Ford truck as a result, but honestly always had Ford trucks, but the lack of sales energy is strange. They stand around smoking in the parking lot and when I do ask for assistance it seems like I am bothering them. [Internet sales must be good. Maybe I dont look like a good customer or something.

That kind of money to pull the whole assembly out is hiway robbery. And IIRC, they are LED's aren't they?

Last edited by ByByBMW; 06-24-2014 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 06-24-2014, 07:17 PM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you can live with it being out - ignore them!
Old 06-24-2014, 07:30 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

The third brake light is an assembly, you can't just change a bulb.

And for the uninformed, it's 4 screws and 4 nuts to remove the third brake light.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:57 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by glenB
The third brake light is an assembly, you can't just change a bulb.

And for the uninformed, it's 4 screws and 4 nuts to remove the third brake light.
You are correct, I didn't read the post well I guess.

And I don't think one lite out in the spoiler is a big deal at all either.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:45 PM
Muuhaha
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Ive experienced the same lack of enthusiasm from the sales departments including one of "the worlds largest" here in NJ whom I wont name. I ended up going with macmulkin and everything has been top notch with them thus far! It only took me about a week to get to 3000 status.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:47 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by offthehook1

Maybe some of you missed this..... the bulb is laying there cause they left it out.....
And I think you can actually get to it by just taking out an inner brake light and reaching in.....
Old 06-24-2014, 09:05 PM
needdlex
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I never get any help when trying to look at a car, get service, or even buy a car.

On the other hand, I'm 27, normally wear a t-shirt and jeans (or hoodie). I wear a tie all day during the week and I like to be comfortable and try to fit in with people in my small town. I know it sounds weird, but people around my age act differently if they know what my income is, so I try and be a "local" as much as possible. My Vette is my only splurge.

The part that I find funny is that I'm young, but very respectful to my elders and I'm the type to say "Yes Sir, No Sir". I bought my wife a new Equinox a few months ago and when I drove up to the lot, I was in my freshly cleaned C5 and salesmen swarmed around me when I drove up, as soon as I opened the door and they saw a pregnant woman and "some kid", they wanted nothing to do with me. I ended up walking into the largest office with Vette posters all over the wall and bought it from what turned out to be the owner, to which I got an absolute steal on my purchase price because I openly discussed my experience with him (plus he loved my AW C5).

I'm going to be going to a larger dealership sometime this week to test drive some C6s and figure out if I want an auto or a standard. Again, I'll be going in my normal "non-work" clothing and see what kind of treatment I receive.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:14 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by ptroxx
Maybe some of you missed this..... the bulb is laying there cause they left it out.....
And I think you can actually get to it by just taking out an inner brake light and reaching in.....
It's not a bulb, it's just a plug, the bulbs are internal to the assembly, and to plug it back in you have to remove the rear spoiler
Old 06-24-2014, 09:36 PM
plmkrzy
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by needdlex
I never get any help when trying to look at a car, get service, or even buy a car.

On the other hand, I'm 27, normally wear a t-shirt and jeans (or hoodie). I wear a tie all day during the week and I like to be comfortable and try to fit in with people in my small town. I know it sounds weird, but people around my age act differently if they know what my income is, so I try and be a "local" as much as possible. My Vette is my only splurge.

The part that I find funny is that I'm young, but very respectful to my elders and I'm the type to say "Yes Sir, No Sir". I bought my wife a new Equinox a few months ago and when I drove up to the lot, I was in my freshly cleaned C5 and salesmen swarmed around me when I drove up, as soon as I opened the door and they saw a pregnant woman and "some kid", they wanted nothing to do with me. I ended up walking into the largest office with Vette posters all over the wall and bought it from what turned out to be the owner, to which I got an absolute steal on my purchase price because I openly discussed my experience with him (plus he loved my AW C5).

I'm going to be going to a larger dealership sometime this week to test drive some C6s and figure out if I want an auto or a standard. Again, I'll be going in my normal "non-work" clothing and see what kind of treatment I receive.
In 1970 I had the same experience as you. Dressed in jeans and a t=shirt I went to a Plymouth dealer to buy a GTX. The dealer said "you can't afford one of these!" Out I went and never looked back. Never bought a Chrysler product either. I went to GM and have been there since. Bought a new Oldsmobile and stayed with Olds until their demise and now Corvettes.

"Never judge a book by its cover"
Old 06-24-2014, 09:45 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by glenB
It's not a bulb, it's just a plug, the bulbs are internal to the assembly, and to plug it back in you have to remove the rear spoiler
Why do you have to remove the spoiler..... ? ? you can reach in and just connect it ..... I thought ,,,,
Old 06-24-2014, 10:06 PM
needdlex
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by plmkrzy
"Never judge a book by its cover"
That's the mentality I love to live by, I'm polite to everyone(mostly), but I'm also looking to buy my second Vette for a his/hers Arctic white to set for the garage.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:04 PM
offthehook1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all and Glen. It had been a few years since I pulled the tail lights and looked inside. Memory has failed me. I took a look again today and the wire and plug was just hanging inside the bumper, no bulb. But, there is no light or connection inside of the spoiler as there was with the original black one that came with the car. So I wonder if there is anything I can do to get a third high mount brake light without having to buy a whole new assembly.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:14 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

You had a bad experience. I usually wear a hoodie, jeans and tennis shoes. I usually get help right away. I wear a suit 40+ hours a week so when I'm not working, I want to be comfy. My dad, on the other hand, could tell some stories about bad service and being ignored because of his clothing. This is a guy that pays for a $925k 3rd vacation house (that he only visits once or twice a year) with a check and a thanks-- while wearing his beat up old shoes and paint stained jeans and a white tee shirt. To be honest, I think he gets a kick out of it.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:36 AM
Itshakes
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Dealer attitude

Last year I was looking for a new C6. I made an appointment at a dealer 30 miles from our house. He advertised a silver/silver base C6 at a great price. I went there and the salesman was no where to be found. I finally located the car and it was filthy! I went in the showroom and found a salesman and he came out to the car with me. (First disappointment) Tried to open the door--no go - battery dead. Jumps the battery after scratching the passenger fender with the cables. Finally gets the car started, and I hop in and notice the fuel gauge is on empty. (Second disappointment). The porter takes the car to the corner gas station and when he comes back, he literally screeches the tires when coming to a stop in front of the showroom. (Third disappointment). So, I drive the car and it's hardly running, something seriously wrong with it. I leave there and go to another dealer about 10 miles away. Would you believe - the same scenario! Dirty car, door won't open, out of gas!! Now I'm saying to myself, "This is Chevrolet's top line car, and these dealers are displaying/presenting them this way"? I was a serious buyer and I even made an appointment at the first dealer to buy that car! Needless to say I was very disappointed with both dealers and went home in disgust!
Old 06-27-2014, 08:50 AM
Old Boot
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Next time you go looking at cars ride your pedal bike and see what happens. Is a great way to look at cars.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:39 PM
Itshakes
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Dealer attitude

The next day dealer #1 called me to apologize about my bad experience and begged me to come back. I didn't want to be exposed to another episode of the same thing. I ended up shopping on line for a C6. There was a dealer who advertised a Grand Sport 60th anniversary edition Coupe, but he was 50 miles from my house. At my wife's urging we made the trek up there. Lo and behold we bought the car. It was a very comfortable experience and we both loved the car. They have earned my respect and will be our "go to" dealer.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:30 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Muuhaha
Ive experienced the same lack of enthusiasm from the sales departments including one of "the worlds largest" here in NJ whom I wont name. I ended up going with macmulkin and everything has been top notch with them thus far! It only took me about a week to get to 3000 status.
Customer service and attention is not what it used to be. Years ago, a car salesman would do everything in his power to sell you a car, now they act like they are doing you a favor if they sell you a car.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:35 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Red08.

Customer service and attention is not what it used to be. Years ago, a car salesman would do everything in his power to sell you a car, now they act like they are doing you a favor if they sell you a car.
All part of the entitlement culture. Clueless that money (paycheck) requires effort.

Get notified of new replies

To Here's a good one

Quick Reply: Here's a good one