C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 VS Mobil Super

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 05:21 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Default Mobil 1 VS Mobil Super

OK folks.....Any "Logical" opinions on what the diff. is between Mobil-1 Synthetic and Mobil Super Synthetic ??
Old 06-25-2014, 05:40 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,796 Likes on 1,956 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

It has to do with the additive packages they add to their oils.....from what I read we are to stick with the Mobil 1 line as it is better for our cars than the Super Synthetic....
Old 06-25-2014, 06:29 PM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,069 Likes on 433 Posts

Educated guess is two differences. First, Mobil 1 would have a more robust additive package as guessed by Huskerman. Second, Mobil 1 would have a mix of group 3 and 4 base oils, while Mobil Super Synthetic is probably all the very slightly lower quality group 3 synthetics. Overall effect is that Mobil 1 should perform slightly better. However, Mobil Super Synthetic is Dexos certified and should be better than the GM-label Dexos oil, which apparently has some of the considerably lower quality group 2 base oil. So the choice gets back to your philosophy. If your mind set is get the best, you’d probably choose Mobil 1 over Mobil Super Synthetic. If your mind set is to go with what’s good enough, then you’d probably choose Mobil Super Synthetic over Mobil 1.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:14 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

The answer from Mobil 1 themselves.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...uper_FAQs.aspx

What’s the difference between Mobil 1™ and Mobil Super™ Synthetic motor oils?
Mobil 1 is part of our ultimate line of advanced full synthetic oils. It uses the latest in additive and base oil technologies that provide superior protection, and outperforms Mobil Super Synthetic. It meets both GM’s stringent dexos1™* and Europe’s ACEA performance standards. More car builders recommend Mobil 1 by name than any other motor oil brand in the world. More NASCAR® drivers use Mobil 1 than any other motor oil brands. Mobil 1 synthetic oil has provided exceptional performance throughout its nearly 40-year history and stands alone as The World’s Leading Synthetic Motor Oil Brand.

Our Product Comparison Chart shows how these oils differ.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:34 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Homer3D
The answer from Mobil 1 themselves.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...uper_FAQs.aspx
Well heck.....Don't think I'd expect anything else from the manufacturer...LOL. Kinda like asking the President of Coke whats the best soda.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:01 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Well heck.....Don't think I'd expect anything else from the manufacturer...LOL. Kinda like asking the President of Coke whats the best soda.
Well, that analogy is slightly flawed. Asking the Coca-Cola company what is the best soda will undoubtable be answered “Coke”. But asking them the difference between Diet Coke and Coke Zero would reveal a different and hopefully, more robust answer. Reading what was provided by Mobil 1, it seems the Mobil 1 line offers overall better protection than their Mobil Super Synthetic line. According to the specs, both 5w30 versions are dexos1 approved and if sticking with the strict words of the manual, both should work fine in the Corvette. Price may also be a factor for some people with Mobil 1 costing about 50 cents a quart more. With my 2013 GS needing 10.5 quarts that makes my oil change $5.25 more. But seeing that I only get 1 oil change a year, I think I can afford it.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:53 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Homer3D
Well, that analogy is slightly flawed. Asking the Coca-Cola company what is the best soda will undoubtable be answered “Coke”. But asking them the difference between Diet Coke and Coke Zero would reveal a different and hopefully, more robust answer. Reading what was provided by Mobil 1, it seems the Mobil 1 line offers overall better protection than their Mobil Super Synthetic line. According to the specs, both 5w30 versions are dexos1 approved and if sticking with the strict words of the manual, both should work fine in the Corvette. Price may also be a factor for some people with Mobil 1 costing about 50 cents a quart more. With my 2013 GS needing 10.5 quarts that makes my oil change $5.25 more. But seeing that I only get 1 oil change a year, I think I can afford it.
Point well taken, but your org. paragraph from Mobil didn't seem to do much "comparing". The paragraph just raved about how good the Mobil 1 is. No biggie....I will still probably use the Mobil 1....know its a quality oil....but sometimes they have specials on the "Super" and was just wondering what the diff. really could be. You know sometimes companies play with us customers by offering two or three different choices and sometimes the difference in the product is very little...if any. Cept for the price

Get notified of new replies

To Mobil 1 VS Mobil Super

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 VS Mobil Super