C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble finding tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 11:51 AM
glerma
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Trouble finding tires

My 2010 GS Convertible needs tires so I went to Discount only to find that the Michelin runflats are not available. He said there was no estimated availability date so that means it could be "months" before I can get a set. Apparently, demand is not very high for that tire so Michelin is not producing them at the moment. He was able to locate a set of non-runflat Michelin tires (the Pilot Super Sports) but even then... he had to source them from different stores and his warehouse. Has anyone else had this sort of trouble finding tires? I am tempted to go with the non-runflats... but I really would rather have a runflat.

I don't want to get another set of Goodyear EMTs. I don't like them.

Last edited by glerma; 06-28-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:08 PM
ZR1 136
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by glerma
My 2010 GS Convertible needs tires so I went to Discount only to find that the Michelin runflats are not available. He said there was no estimated availability date so that means it could "months" from now. Apparently, demand is not very high for that tire so Michelin is not producing them at the moment. He was able to locate a set of non-runflat Michelin tires (the Pilot Super Sports) but even then... he had to source them from different stores and his warehouse. Has anyone else had this sort of trouble finding tires? I am tempted to go with the non-runflats... but I really would rather have a runflat.

I don't want to get another set of Goodyear EMTs. I don't like them.
I just bought a set of Nitto Invos online (non run flats $1000) for my Z06 rims. Had Leon Tire in Annaville put them on for $100. I will still need to buy some run flats (rears) but everything seems to be back ordered. The last two rear run flats cost me $1500.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:09 PM
Joni Lynn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I had known how bad the availability of the Michelin tires was I would have gone with another brand. I went ahead and got the rears and hope to have the fronts before much more time passes.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:18 PM
catnaround
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

just bought a set of michelins from Tire Rack.com for my 12 gs, 2052.00 for run flats that were delivered to my local tire store overnight!93.00 shipping(to florida) 215.00 for mounting and balancing,couldn' be happier
Old 06-28-2014, 12:18 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

The runflats are available and in stock at Tire Rack (Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP). Since discount can not get them, ask them if they would install them for you. I know that usually the tire stores don't want to install tires bought elsewhere. But, I just ran into this issue with a Michelin I was trying to get at a local tire store. Since they could not get the tire, they would be willing to install the tire bought elsewhere (at tirerack.com).
Old 06-28-2014, 12:28 PM
glerma
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Rhett Loveday
I just bought a set of Nitto Invos online (non run flats $1000) for my Z06 rims. Had Leon Tire in Annaville put them on for $100. I will still need to buy some run flats (rears) but everything seems to be back ordered. The last two rear run flats cost me $1500.
Did a double take when you mentioned Leon Tire in Annaville. I don't usually see hometown people here.. LOL
Old 06-28-2014, 12:32 PM
glerma
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Joni Lynn
If I had known how bad the availability of the Michelin tires was I would have gone with another brand. I went ahead and got the rears and hope to have the fronts before much more time passes.
I asked him to try and find other brands in a runflat. He was able to find fronts in one brand and rears in another... but nothing is a set of 4. Ironically, the Goodyear EMT is readily available... but I've not been happy with them.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:34 PM
glerma
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by RACE U
The runflats are available and in stock at Tire Rack (Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP). Since discount can not get them, ask them if they would install them for you. I know that usually the tire stores don't want to install tires bought elsewhere. But, I just ran into this issue with a Michelin I was trying to get at a local tire store. Since they could not get the tire, they would be willing to install the tire bought elsewhere (at tirerack.com).
Indeed they are! I just had a look. They can be here July 2. I've never purchased tires like that before... but I will look into this option. Thanks!
Old 06-28-2014, 12:53 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,173 Posts

Try sams club,

Discount has to order them in to distribution center first, then they go to the Discount warehouses to be be sent out of there. So is not that the manufacturer is not making them, but discount have to wait for the distribution center to make another large GP purchase instead.

Sams will order the needed tires in from the manufacturer directly, then have them in a mater of a few days
Old 06-28-2014, 01:03 PM
LarryMJones
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Try your Chevy dealer. I had to buy two fronts on vacation in Billings Montana last week. Menholt Chevrolet got me two Michelin Pilot Sport PS2ZP run flats overnight from their supplier.

I was desperate and didn't even ask for a price. They sold them to me at their sale price of $497.63 each and only charged 21.50 to mount both.
When you count freight and $25 each to mount at local Goodyear that was slightly less than Tire Rack advertised price of $465.00.

Lesson learned don't expect 15k miles on your Goodyear origional equipment tires. Mine were treadless at 12,800 miles.
LJ
Old 06-28-2014, 01:55 PM
glerma
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by LarryMJones
Try your Chevy dealer. I had to buy two fronts on vacation in Billings Montana last week. Menholt Chevrolet got me two Michelin Pilot Sport PS2ZP run flats overnight from their supplier.

I was desperate and didn't even ask for a price. They sold them to me at their sale price of $497.63 each and only charged 21.50 to mount both.
When you count freight and $25 each to mount at local Goodyear that was slightly less than Tire Rack advertised price of $465.00.

Lesson learned don't expect 15k miles on your Goodyear origional equipment tires. Mine were treadless at 12,800 miles.
LJ
My car just hit 12k miles... The front tires (Goodyear) are toast (visible belts) and the backs are in the "warning" range according to Discount.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:01 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryMJones

LJ
You guys may want to have another look at your wheel alignments, I'm at 15k+ and 7 track days and have 3mm outside and 5mm inside tread left on my GY Supercars. Still the original tires.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:43 PM
catnaround
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

i forgot to mention that a alingment was included in that 215.00, wheels were out pretty good, no wonder my gys only lasted 9000 miles
Old 06-28-2014, 03:03 PM
ZR1 136
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
You guys may want to have another look at your wheel alignments, I'm at 15k+ and 7 track days and have 3mm outside and 5mm inside tread left on my GY Supercars. Still the original tires.

Originally Posted by glerma
Did a double take when you mentioned Leon Tire in Annaville. I don't usually see hometown people here.. LOL
Print out: http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...-9.12.2011.pdf

I recommend Al Williford over in Portland for the alignment. Tell them you want the car set up on performance street numbers (take the pfadt sheet with you). I have tried the other dealership in Corpus at crosstown...got the run around. The numbers are within GM specs and can set with a great mechanic that knows what their doing. My Michelins are showing wear on the rear but it is even wear across the 12" tire.....thinking it is the right pedal cause. The fronts show a little wear but still look new (currently 17,000 miles on the Michelins). If I remember I will check the tread depth tonight.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:05 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Loving my hankook! $1160 installed!
Old 06-28-2014, 09:01 PM
glerma
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Rhett Loveday

Print out: http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...-9.12.2011.pdf

I recommend Al Williford over in Portland for the alignment. Tell them you want the car set up on performance street numbers (take the pfadt sheet with you). I have tried the other dealership in Corpus at crosstown...got the run around. The numbers are within GM specs and can set with a great mechanic that knows what their doing. My Michelins are showing wear on the rear but it is even wear across the 12" tire.....thinking it is the right pedal cause. The fronts show a little wear but still look new (currently 17,000 miles on the Michelins). If I remember I will check the tread depth tonight.
Thanks for the alignment spec. I will definitely do that since tires ain't cheap and I will do what I can to keep them healthy.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:13 PM
boilerup78
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have been going through replacing my original tires, they have 28,000 on them. Rears look ok, but front are about slick with a cord showing on inside on left side.

I was convinced I would get the Pilot Sport A/S ZP. Price at dealer where I bought the my car was $1800, tried another chevy dealer was quoted $1540, then $1340 with nitrogen at tire barn.

The more I thought about it I realized I don't drive the car after the roads are salted and why not get the latest and greatest Pilot Super Sport ZP summer tires. The GM dealers did not show these in their supplier system, kinda odd since they are on the new corvettes. Tire barn showed the fronts as ZP but not the rears in their system. They then called their Michelin contact who verified that ZPs were available. They quoted me $1540 out the door with nitrogen. Should be about a 1-2 week wait since they had to go to a Michelin supplier. Could not refuse the price. Hope I like them.

Get notified of new replies

To Trouble finding tires

Old 06-29-2014, 04:26 PM
ZR1 136
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by boilerup78
. Tire barn showed the fronts as ZP but not the rears in their system. They then called their Michelin contact who verified that ZPs were available. They quoted me $1540 out the door with nitrogen. Should be about a 1-2 week wait since they had to go to a Michelin supplier. Could not refuse the price. Hope I like them.
You have a base C6? My Grand Sport rear tires alone were $1500. Just bought some Nitto's but will be buying Michelins run flats again (rears). Very good tire for my street use.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:07 PM
Jefff1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

How about Bridgestone Potenza run flats? I priced them from my local tire place for my '11 GS...That's what I plan to go with this summer
Old 06-29-2014, 05:34 PM
boilerup78
6th Gear

Rhett,

Was looking at wrong sheet, price was 1590.98 out door with nitrogen. Receipt shows fronts as 385.99 ea, rears 506.99 ea., but with discounts of 75 per tire. So total tire cost is 1485.96, rest is tax.

Quick Reply: Trouble finding tires