C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting in and out of park

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 11:36 AM
flby55
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shifting in and out of park

I have an 09 and just started to have a real problem shifting either out of park or back into park and I mean a real problem and no problem shifting from drive to reverse or reverse to drive. Any ideas ?? TIA
Old 07-12-2014, 12:12 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

You need a manual transmission! I've heard the linkage can become disconnected, hopefully one of "those" auto guys can help you out.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:35 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

He was joking, but the reason I got rid of my A6 car for an M6 CTS-V Coupe was because of the transmission

I'm facing the same problem with my C6 that I'm fixing before I sell it....I have the shifter pulled out to diagnose it and tried all of the "easy" fixes. The problem is likely the solenoid that activates when you press the brake allowing you get into and out of park.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:38 PM
flby55
Advanced

Default Floyd

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
He was joking, but the reason I got rid of my A6 car for an M6 CTS-V Coupe was because of the transmission

I'm facing the same problem with my C6 that I'm fixing before I sell it....I have the shifter pulled out to diagnose it and tried all of the "easy" fixes. The problem is likely the solenoid that activates when you press the brake allowing you get into and out of park.
Thanks for the reply and I will look into this
Old 07-12-2014, 02:37 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by flby55
I have an 09 and just started to have a real problem shifting either out of park or back into park and I mean a real problem and no problem shifting from drive to reverse or reverse to drive. Any ideas ?? TIA
Check out this thread.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:32 AM
flby55
Advanced

Default Bruze

Originally Posted by Bruze
Check out this thread.
Thanks for the link, very informative
Old 07-13-2014, 07:42 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I don't care for the way my A6 shifter feels (certainly not as smooth as my old G8 GT) so I always shift in and out of gear gently.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:43 AM
CyberBullet
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What is park???.......Just kidding. Hope you get your problem fixed quickly and cheap.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:32 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Please take the time to record this issue at the NHTSA's website, www.safercar.gov . There is a real issue with this and going bad in places far away and outside of safety. It involves safety equipment also as its park of the locking feature of the transmission. It can be the shifter needing replacement and/or the shift linkage. The linkage normally gets broken trying to coax it into gear. For many articles look up "stuck in park"..
Old 07-13-2014, 10:46 PM
hydrasport
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Just got mine back from the dealer Friday for the same thing. They replaced the shifter. Didn't help. They called the GM tech line for help and they were told to reflash the car. It works now so I won't argue about the repair.
Now it locked in park again Saturday, but I now know why that happened. I was in a rush to move the car and grabbed the shifter at the same time as stepping on the brake pedal. I did this several times and realized that if I didn't wait for the "click" of the soleniod when I step on the brake, I can stop it from working just by grabbing the shift button before the soleniod has a chance to move the unlock lever in the shifter. Make sure the shifter solenoid clicks when you step on the brake. If it doesn't and you have not touched the shifter, you have a shifter issue. As far as the reflash, I too would like to hear another dealer tell someone that a reflash fixed it.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:29 AM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

This is what I did!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...k-finally.html
Old 07-14-2014, 06:22 AM
flby55
Advanced

Default hydrasport

Originally Posted by hydrasport
Just got mine back from the dealer Friday for the same thing. They replaced the shifter. Didn't help. They called the GM tech line for help and they were told to reflash the car. It works now so I won't argue about the repair.
Now it locked in park again Saturday, but I now know why that happened. I was in a rush to move the car and grabbed the shifter at the same time as stepping on the brake pedal. I did this several times and realized that if I didn't wait for the "click" of the soleniod when I step on the brake, I can stop it from working just by grabbing the shift button before the soleniod has a chance to move the unlock lever in the shifter. Make sure the shifter solenoid clicks when you step on the brake. If it doesn't and you have not touched the shifter, you have a shifter issue. As far as the reflash, I too would like to hear another dealer tell someone that a reflash fixed it.
Thanks for the reply I will be sure to keep this in mind.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:21 AM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate to be the person with bad news but I have been there, done that and paid the price for the fix in my 08 Auto. Mine was stuck in Park in a grocery store parking lot. i screwed up by forcing it out of park.
---------------------------------------
This is from the 2007 manual and may help you get it out of park.

If you cannot shift out of PARK (P), ease pressure
on the shift lever and push the shift lever all the
way into PARK (P) and release the shift lever
button as you maintain brake application. Then
press the shift lever button and move the
shift lever into the gear you wish.

If you ever hold the brake pedal down but still
cannot shift out of PARK (P), try this:
1. Press the regular brake.
2. Press the Acc. button twice to place the
ignition in accessory mode. See Ignition
Positions on page 90 for more information.
3. Apply and hold the brake until the end of
Step 4.
4. Shift to NEUTRAL (N).
5. Start the engine and then shift to the drive
gear you want.
6. Have your vehicle inspected by your dealer as
soon as possible.

This may help you.
-------------
Rather the reading the manual on how to get it out of Park, I forced it and this damaged the shifter that had to be replaced. The weak link in the C6 Auto is the electronics module that is part of the shifter that controls the push brake before starting sequence. GM only sells the shift assembly and it is semi-expensive. Replacing the shift assembly will run between $500 to $800 depending on who does the work.

My advice is to print the procedure outlined above and keep it in the glove box. i had to use it one time with the newly installed shifter. Since then it has worked perfect.

f you get it out of Park, you will have R - N - D and not be able to go to S. Do not put back into Park until you are at a dealership.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:42 AM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Please take the time to record this issue at the NHTSA's website, www.safercar.gov .
Thanks for the reminder. I just posted one on this topic. Hopefully, others will as this is just a bad design that can leave you stranded and the C6 does not have a transmission override the wreckers use to two cars. I guess they have to drag C6 on a wrecker
Old 07-14-2014, 02:28 PM
flby55
Advanced

Default Arkay

Originally Posted by Arkay
I hate to be the person with bad news but I have been there, done that and paid the price for the fix in my 08 Auto. Mine was stuck in Park in a grocery store parking lot. i screwed up by forcing it out of park.
---------------------------------------
This is from the 2007 manual and may help you get it out of park.

If you cannot shift out of PARK (P), ease pressure
on the shift lever and push the shift lever all the
way into PARK (P) and release the shift lever
button as you maintain brake application. Then
press the shift lever button and move the
shift lever into the gear you wish.

If you ever hold the brake pedal down but still
cannot shift out of PARK (P), try this:
1. Press the regular brake.
2. Press the Acc. button twice to place the
ignition in accessory mode. See Ignition
Positions on page 90 for more information.
3. Apply and hold the brake until the end of
Step 4.
4. Shift to NEUTRAL (N).
5. Start the engine and then shift to the drive
gear you want.
6. Have your vehicle inspected by your dealer as
soon as possible.

This may help you.
-------------
Rather the reading the manual on how to get it out of Park, I forced it and this damaged the shifter that had to be replaced. The weak link in the C6 Auto is the electronics module that is part of the shifter that controls the push brake before starting sequence. GM only sells the shift assembly and it is semi-expensive. Replacing the shift assembly will run between $500 to $800 depending on who does the work.

My advice is to print the procedure outlined above and keep it in the glove box. i had to use it one time with the newly installed shifter. Since then it has worked perfect.

f you get it out of Park, you will have R - N - D and not be able to go to S. Do not put back into Park until you are at a dealership.
Thank you very much for this info I will keep it on hand
Old 04-22-2020, 03:53 PM
John Row
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This just started happening to me. Thanks for the info.

Get notified of new replies

To Shifting in and out of park

Quick Reply: Shifting in and out of park