C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POWER Steering Fluid LEAK!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 09:33 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahmer
This is what I did, took me 4-5 hours start to finish.

Steps: (Obtain a Pulley removal tool from your fav auto parts store, Autozone rents for free)
(First DRAIN ALL PS FLUID FROM THE RESERVOIR!)

1. Remove the Air Dam / Filters up to throttle body
2. Remove alternator (held on by 2 15 mm bolts) and the 1 wire cionnection + 13 mm nut holding the ground in place
3. Loosen the PS reservoir held on by 2 15 mm bolts.
4. There are 2 clamp hoses holding the PS Reservoir to the pump assembly. Remove if you can, if not wait until everything is loosened and try again)
5. There are 2 15 mm bolts (1 is behind the pulley wheel itself on the PS pump) and one is further down in between the throttle body and the pulley (hard to reach on my '05, I prayed the whole time I don't strip it, but it came off eventually)
6. Once all bolts loosened, pull the pulley out towards yourself and away from ABS unit.
Attach pulley removal tool here to remove the pulley, I hung the pump tself with telephone cord high and dry over the throttle body by rigging my own pulley system so I could take the pulley off.)
7. Once pulley removed, it is easy to remove the 16 mm. holding the High pressure hose to the pump itself.
8. There are about 4-5 bolts holding the pump to the aluminum bracket.
9. Replace the new pump, apply new pulley, BUT be sure you put your 16 mm high pressure hose nut on with a NEW O-RING prior to the placement of the pulley AND MAKE SURE TO SLIDE THE 2 BOLTS that are NOT Going to slide in if the pulley is on first.
10. At this point, you should have your 16 mm bolt (from high pressure hose) and 2 15 mm bolts in place.
11. Slide the Power steering pump back into place making sure the High pressure hose clears the belt train and the crankshaft pulley
12. Reverse the rest. EASY.

IF YOU HAVE TO REPLACE YOUR HOSE:

BTW I had to replace my high pressure hose as my 05 had the SHORT one, so I bought a new one (much longer hose) from Rockauto (80 shipped), re-routing over the front cross member was required, but the only difference is when everything is off, there is an 18 mm. bolt holding onto the PS assembly itself (Use a flare wrench to avoid stripping) that must come off. Remove that as well. I held the hose on by aluminum zip ties.
I know this is an old thread but thanks for the tips. I am facing this problem now with my 2006 C6. Today I replaced the water pump and now need to face this power steering pump and high pressure hose replacement. I should not complain it has 75000 miles on it and has always put a smile on my face when I drive it.
Thanks again.

Quick Reply: POWER Steering Fluid LEAK!